British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Is my trade any use in New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/my-trade-any-use-new-zealand-445928/)

Sam Greenfield Apr 29th 2007 5:47 pm

Is my trade any use in New Zealand

Hi all
I am a qualified NNEB (Nursery Nurse) in England - i have worked with special needs children for the last 13 years - this skill will not allow me to get into Australia as it is not on the MODL list unless i have been a Child Care Co-Ordinator (running a nursery or similar establishment).
Does anyone know if my skill and years of experience are any use in New Zealand and what are my prospects of getting work???
My hubby is a general all round builder - is there any need for his skills (not one particular trade) - so also not on MODL list. He also has his HGV Class 1 licence (though not driven for a few years) - and again not on MODL list.
I have been watching Kato33 posts with interest over the last few months as she is in a very similar position to us and she has given us hope just recently that we may have a future other than in sunny England - so BIG HUG to you.
Any information or advice would be gratefully apprieciated.
Sam

phil01 Apr 29th 2007 6:55 pm

Re: Is my trade any use in New Zealand

Originally Posted by Sam Greenfield (Post 4714326)
Hi all
I am a qualified NNEB (Nursery Nurse) in England - i have worked with special needs children for the last 13 years - this skill will not allow me to get into Australia as it is not on the MODL list unless i have been a Child Care Co-Ordinator (running a nursery or similar establishment).
Does anyone know if my skill and years of experience are any use in New Zealand and what are my prospects of getting work???
My hubby is a general all round builder - is there any need for his skills (not one particular trade) - so also not on MODL list. He also has his HGV Class 1 licence (though not driven for a few years) - and again not on MODL list.
I have been watching Kato33 posts with interest over the last few months as she is in a very similar position to us and she has given us hope just recently that we may have a future other than in sunny England - so BIG HUG to you.
Any information or advice would be gratefully apprieciated.
Sam

Hi Sam,
I don't think either of you would have any difficulty in getting work. Have you checked out the immediate and long term skill shortage lists, that's the first place to start it tells you if you are in an occupation in demand and the level or qualifications you need to have to get into NZ with that occupation. If not you will get a temp permit based on hubby being a HGV Driver (he must have a job offer with an accredited company) then once you get a job over here you can go for residency.
Debbie

rockape Apr 30th 2007 3:20 pm

Re: Is my trade any use in New Zealand

Hi Sam,
I don't know how you have got on since your last thread but if you look on www.trademe.co.nz and look under child care you will find 12 jobs on this site and also try www. seek.co.nz and thse will have a job for you.

Good luck on your looking for work.

Stan(rockape)