My Top Tip

Old Apr 15th 2006, 9:40 am
Citizenships collector...

urbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: My Top Tip

Originally Posted by Biddy
Over the last year I have probably come across 20 or so people / families that have said words to the effect of:
"Reading these negative threads about weather/salary/maori problems/lack of bisto granules (delete as appropriate) has made me decide not to consider a move to New Zealand"

I'm bored silly with saying to people to take all advice, good and bad, and take it for what it's worth. Get info from elsewhere. Talk to real life people that have lived in NZ. Read books. Watch documentaries. Get info from as many places as possible.

Do people do this? Apparently not. They read a thread that has a negative slant and they throw their toys out of the pram. If the desire to move to NZ wasn't strong enough to overcome a negative thread or 2 then quite frankly you're probably better off staying in the UK and watching Emmerdale.

If you want to move to NZ then here's my tip:

Do lots of research (not just from this forum please), pick the most appropriate area to move to for you & your family, then do it. Do it positively. Prepare yourself for the changes and differences and embrace them. You'll be fine.
Thanks so much for such a great thread Biddy Sent you some K for those top tips too.

I hope people reading this forum will be inspired by it and realise you CAN be successful and happy by moving to NZ.

Like Winnie, I wish I had made the move sooner but better late than ever

Last edited by urbanproject; Apr 15th 2006 at 9:50 am.
Old Apr 17th 2006, 5:15 pm
Just Joined

Da' Calders is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: My Top Tip

thank you, common sense does prevail
Old Apr 17th 2006, 8:11 pm
Just Joined

ExFelthamhope is an unknown quantity at this point

My family and I are at the beginning of starting to make the decision to emigrate to NZ. So this site and peoples comments are really helpful.

One thing that we are looking at is

WILL OUR LIVES BE MADE BETTER FOR THE MOVE!!

Our opinion is Yes, England is drastically becoming a place that I do not want my children to be part off. This is sad as I am very patriotic.

Too many people are destroying the family life and positive discrimination is rife.

We want to live in a place where every one is equal no matter your colour or culture. We hope that NZ will give us that opportunity. With a much slower pace of life with wonderful scenery.
Old Apr 17th 2006, 8:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Frenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ExFelthamhope
My family and I are at the beginning of starting to make the decision to emigrate to NZ. So this site and peoples comments are really helpful.

One thing that we are looking at is

WILL OUR LIVES BE MADE BETTER FOR THE MOVE!!

Our opinion is Yes, England is drastically becoming a place that I do not want my children to be part off. This is sad as I am very patriotic.

Too many people are destroying the family life and positive discrimination is rife.

We want to live in a place where every one is equal no matter your colour or culture. We hope that NZ will give us that opportunity. With a much slower pace of life with wonderful scenery.

I agree with all your comments
I have worked for the NHS for 28 years and I think the status of the NHS somewhat reflects the ethos of Britain.
Do you have any ideas where in NZ you want to be?
There are so many lovely places with so much to offer. As I mentioned earlier life is for living and what an adventure we are about to undertake. I feel as Biddy put it so well research and determination is the key to sucess.
Good luck to you!
Old Apr 17th 2006, 8:41 pm
Just Joined

ExFelthamhope is an unknown quantity at this point

We are considering North Island as it sounds warmer, however open to opinons as to where.

Possibly not Auckland as we want a place may not so big, however Auckland sounds like a small town in England.

Thanks for advice and opinons.
Old Apr 17th 2006, 8:43 pm

bookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to behold

Hooray! A thread without a whinge or a whine or the possibility of it turning into a UK vs NZ slanging match. Well done Biddy!

We did as much research as we possibly could before we got here, and the amount of stuff available is mindblowing. I still think the best advice, support and realistic information we got was from this forum, the books only went so far in making you feel you could actually do it. People who are swayed by a few negative threads mustn't be 100% for the move in the first place, we read a lot of negative stuff but still decided to go for it with the view that it was, at the least, going to be an adventure. If we ended up going back, at least we'd have opened a window for our children to consider migrating when they were adults.

My top tip - consider the move as temporary and make sure you don't burn bridges back in the UK, then if you do have a tough time and decide it's not for you you've got an escape route.
Old Apr 18th 2006, 3:03 am
livewire

I'd say "go for it" to anyone who is having second thoughts.

Life is too short to fill it with "what if" and "if only". We have everything we ever wanted, and more. Despite its faults NZ is still a whole lot better than the UK

My top tips are:

1. Keep and open mind, stay fexible and take things as they come.

2. Expect the odd knock back and don't let them get you down.

3. Don't dismiss Auckland out of hand until you've seen the lifestyle on the western coast north of the city (forget the North Shore)

Last edited by livewire; Apr 18th 2006 at 3:06 am.

Old Apr 18th 2006, 4:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Viz Top Tips

Apologies Biddy..............sometimes I can't help myself.................

OLD telephone directories make ideal personal address books. Simply cross out the names and address of people you don't know.

AVOID over ordering milk by placing your fridge on the pavement just outside your gate. The milkman can then check your day-to-day requirement for himself.

WHEN reading a book try tearing out the pages as you read them. This saves the expense of buying a bookmark, and the pages can later be used for shopping lists.

MOTORISTS. Pressing your 'fog lights' switch a second time after the fog has cleared will actually turn your fog lights off.

A TEASPOON placed in a glass on the back seat of your car makes a handy audible gauge for road bump severity.
Old Apr 18th 2006, 4:22 am
Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute

Ah..........Viz lives on!
Old May 5th 2006, 8:00 pm
Forum Regular

Gail5 is just really niceGail5 is just really niceGail5 is just really niceGail5 is just really niceGail5 is just really niceGail5 is just really niceGail5 is just really niceGail5 is just really niceGail5 is just really nice

Over the last year I have probably come across 20 or so people / families that have said words to the effect of:
"Reading these negative threads about weather/salary/maori problems/lack of bisto granules (delete as appropriate) has made me decide not to consider a move to New Zealand"

I'm bored silly with saying to people to take all advice, good and bad, and take it for what it's worth. Get info from elsewhere. Talk to real life people that have lived in NZ. Read books. Watch documentaries. Get info from as many places as possible.

Do people do this? Apparently not. They read a thread that has a negative slant and they throw their toys out of the pram. If the desire to move to NZ wasn't strong enough to overcome a negative thread or 2 then quite frankly you're probably better off staying in the UK and watching Emmerdale.

If you want to move to NZ then here's my tip:

Do lots of research (not just from this forum please), pick the most appropriate area to move to for you & your family, then do it. Do it positively. Prepare yourself for the changes and differences and embrace them. You'll be fine.

Hi All

This is my first visit to this forum - Hi everyone! I have read quite a few messages and some are OK but some are totally off-putting, then I read your message Biddy and I feel better again. Originally my husband (John) and I (well me and I've talked John into thinking about it) thought it would be a good idea to try and move to Australia but as we are 45 we have been advised to look at another country to move to as it will be easier for us. So we have chosen New Zealand.

The main reason for our move is to give our 5 sons a better future (and us too of course). The UK is becoming a place where we don't want to live anymore and if we don't try and get out soon it's going to be too late and when we're old (older) and grey (greyer) I don't want to say 'I wish we'd moved when we had the chance'.

How many of you used an Immigration Advisor/Agent? How long does it take from your decision to emigrate to actually arriving in NZ? How did you decide where to live in NZ? (Just a few questions to be going on with)

I'm in need of as much advice as possible but one thing I have learned today is that I MUST do lots of research (can we apply for our visa first then do the research while we're waiting to hear anything?)

Looking forward to mixing with you all.

Gail
Old May 5th 2006, 9:11 pm
Forum Regular

Herm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Gail5
Hi All

This is my first visit to this forum - Hi everyone! I have read quite a few messages and some are OK but some are totally off-putting, then I read your message Biddy and I feel better again. Originally my husband (John) and I (well me and I've talked John into thinking about it) thought it would be a good idea to try and move to Australia but as we are 45 we have been advised to look at another country to move to as it will be easier for us. So we have chosen New Zealand.

The main reason for our move is to give our 5 sons a better future (and us too of course). The UK is becoming a place where we don't want to live anymore and if we don't try and get out soon it's going to be too late and when we're old (older) and grey (greyer) I don't want to say 'I wish we'd moved when we had the chance'.

How many of you used an Immigration Advisor/Agent? How long does it take from your decision to emigrate to actually arriving in NZ? How did you decide where to live in NZ? (Just a few questions to be going on with)

I'm in need of as much advice as possible but one thing I have learned today is that I MUST do lots of research (can we apply for our visa first then do the research while we're waiting to hear anything?)

Gail
Welcome aboard Gail - My answer to a few of your questions - we decided to make the jump one drunken xmas eve and actually left the UK on the following Good Friday so took us approx 3 months. We did not use an immigration advisor/agent because we believed that we had the resources to do just as good a job and save a few pounds into the bargain. The area chosen was not quite eyes closed and pin in map but very close - we had our own preferences, researched area's, made a decision and went for it. Very hit and miss but it worked out for us. Good luck to you.

Martin

PS - I was 46, my wife 44, 3 kids of 15, 14 and 12 when we arrived.
Old May 5th 2006, 9:12 pm
Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All

Gail
Good for you Gail and welcome.
Your reasons for making the move sound similar to ours. We have 3 kids - eldest is now 7.
We used an agent. Worked for us and cost about £2400. Whole process took 4 months to get PR from submission of EOI. (we had 110 points and no job offer - obviously it's changed a bit since then)
We decided on Kapiti coast because:
1) Knew Auckland would be big, crowded, expensive etc
2) Christchurch may not have as many job opps
3) Welly is sort of in between in size and geography (allowing access to the whole island easily)
4) Decided on up to 1 hr from Welly
5) Wanted coast rather than inland
6) Waikanae sounded nice and happens to be approx 1hr from Welly.
7) and it's lovely.

Our decision to move to NZ has always been one 'from the heart' - knew we wouldn't be rich etc - but we placed a big emphasis on less tangible things like - stress levels, population sizes, more relaxed way of life, scenery, beaches, etc etc.

Worked for us.
Old May 5th 2006, 9:20 pm
Forum Regular

Gail5 is just really niceGail5 is just really niceGail5 is just really niceGail5 is just really niceGail5 is just really niceGail5 is just really niceGail5 is just really niceGail5 is just really niceGail5 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Herm
Welcome aboard Gail - My answer to a few of your questions - we decided to make the jump one drunken xmas eve and actually left the UK on the following Good Friday so took us approx 3 months. We did not use an immigration advisor/agent because we believed that we had the resources to do just as good a job and save a few pounds into the bargain. The area chosen was not quite eyes closed and pin in map but very close - we had our own preferences, researched area's, made a decision and went for it. Very hit and miss but it worked out for us. Good luck to you.

Martin

PS - I was 46, my wife 44, 3 kids of 15, 14 and 12 when we arrived.
Hi Martin

Thanks for your quick response.

No doubt I'll be asking lots more questions soon but thanks for now.

Gail
Old May 5th 2006, 9:36 pm
Forum Regular

Good for you Gail and welcome.
Your reasons for making the move sound similar to ours. We have 3 kids - eldest is now 7.
We used an agent. Worked for us and cost about £2400. Whole process took 4 months to get PR from submission of EOI. (we had 110 points and no job offer - obviously it's changed a bit since then)
We decided on Kapiti coast because:
1) Knew Auckland would be big, crowded, expensive etc
2) Christchurch may not have as many job opps
3) Welly is sort of in between in size and geography (allowing access to the whole island easily)
4) Decided on up to 1 hr from Welly
5) Wanted coast rather than inland
6) Waikanae sounded nice and happens to be approx 1hr from Welly.
7) and it's lovely.

Our decision to move to NZ has always been one 'from the heart' - knew we wouldn't be rich etc - but we placed a big emphasis on less tangible things like - stress levels, population sizes, more relaxed way of life, scenery, beaches, etc etc.

Worked for us.
Hi and thanks for such a quick response.

Are there any websites you can give me to start my research on where to live, schools, accommodation, etc. - got so much to do now!

Any help/advice appreciated.

Thanks

Gail
Old May 6th 2006, 12:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Joshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and thanks for such a quick response.

Are there any websites you can give me to start my research on where to live, schools, accommodation, etc. - got so much to do now!

Any help/advice appreciated.

Thanks

Gail
Hi there Gail - good luck on your research

www.localeye.co.nz is a good one for getting to know christchurch
www.stuff.co.nz is a good one for catching up on news - pulls together all the major newspapers but then has an excellent job site attached which you can search against job type, location etc
the immigration site www.immigration.govt.nz has some pretty good stuff on helping you to decide with links to local area information

we submitted EOI Dec 04, ITA arrived end Jan, submitted end Mar, PR approval in principle May 14 05, we landed 6 Oct 05 and we love it (hubby, me and 2 - age 4 & 2)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.