Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

My new slow cooker turned out a school dinner - Yuk!

My new slow cooker turned out a school dinner - Yuk!

Old Aug 19th 2011, 11:30 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My new slow cooker turned out a school dinner - Yuk!

Originally Posted by BEVS
Blasted slow cooker is still turning out school dinners no matter what I try. All tastes rather samey and dry.
I love love love my slow cooker.

Lamb shanks in tomato for the slow cooker
4 lamb shanks
1/4 cup plain flour
1 diced onion
3 tsp crushed garlic
1 tin (800 g) diced tomatoes
2 tbsp sundried tomato pesto
3 tbsp tomato paste
3 beef oxo cubes
1 stem fresh rosemary

Lightly flour shanks and place in slow cooker. Meanwhile fry onions in non-stick pan for 2-3 minutes until softened. Add rest of the ingredients and bring to a simmer. Pour tomato mixture over shanks and place rosemary stem on top. Put lid on and cook on low for 8-9 hours or high for 4-5 hours. When done remove rosemary stem and serve over mashed potatoes or cooked angel hair pasta.

Slow cooker beef stew

500 g cheapest beef you can find cubed
2 potatoes cubed
2-3 carrots chopped
2 ribs celery
2 onions chopped
1/2 cup flour
1/2 tsp each salt & pepper
good shake of worcestershire sauce
2 Tbsp tomato paste
splash of red wine (the cheaper the better)
Tbsp sugar
1 tsp each dried basil & Italian seasoning
Beef stock just to cover (or water & oxo cubes)

Put flour, salt, pepper and sugar & herbs in a zipper bag. Shake meat in flour until coated. Put veggies in slow cooker then pour meat/flour mixture in. Give it a stir to coat veggies. Mix 2 cups stock, wine, worcestershire & tomato paste then pour over meat/veg mixture. Stir well to mix flour in. Pour in enough stock to just about cover the meat/veg and put the lid on. Cook on low for about 8 hours or high for about 4 hours. I serve with what we call biscuits. I think you would call them savoury scones? Recipe below.

Tea biscuits

2 cups all-purpose flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup cold butter (I put it in the freezer for 15 minutes or so)
3/4 cup milk
Directions
1.Preheat oven to 200C.
2.Combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Cut butter in until mixture has a fine crumb texture. Stir in milk with a fork to make a soft dough. Knead 8 to 10 times, and then roll out to a thickness of at least 1/2 inch. Cut into rounds with a cookie or biscuit cutter. Place on cookie sheet, and allow to rest for a few minutes.
3.Bake for 12 to 15 minutes. Serve warm

If you want to turn it up a notch add some grated cheese and a dash of chilli powder to the dry ingredients before adding milk.

PM me your address and I'll send you one of the cookbooks my mom bought me. (it's a duplicate)
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 4:20 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

PM me your address and I'll send you one of the cookbooks my mom bought me.
I need it mate.
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 4:34 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
I need it mate.
I'll post it tonight when I get home.
Old Dec 15th 2011, 5:03 am
`

Update here.
I've had a few disasters along the way but the slow cooker turned out some fabulous lamb shanks when we had visitors over a few weeks back , thanks to Dorothy's recipe here.
It switched them onto the idea of a slow cooker & I showed them the prized book .

I like the way you can have to go out but come back to something that smells tasty.

Panasonic breadmaker is still on hold. It's the price I find disturbing.
Old Dec 16th 2011, 8:05 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

I find I have to fry onions and spices together first and chums who eat meat tell me they brown that first to seal the flavour. The best thing I make in a slow cooker is chili. I hate mushy veggies so it's a knack to work out timings.

I used to have a mini one that I used to make puddings and porridge in, too
Old Dec 16th 2011, 8:11 pm
`

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
I used to have a mini one that I used to make puddings and porridge in, too
Thinking of Mr BEVS sweet tooth here.