British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   My latest gadget (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/my-latest-gadget-790477/)

AndyEvs Mar 14th 2013 9:04 am

My latest gadget

I'm a gadgetaholic (is that even a word?) So am always on the lookout for new stuff. This weekend I bought a Logitech UE Smartradio.
It's basically a small Internet radio whic now sits in the kitchen. It doesn't do anything that I can't do on my ipad, iPhone, MacBook etc but it does it so much more conveniently and easily.
Obviously you can stream all your favourite radio stations, but you can also store them as presets, so now when I get up in the morning I can instantly get Radio 4 up and running for the news.
It also does podcasts so while I'm preparing the evening meal I can listen the the World Service news hour.
I absolutely love it and if you are an avid music/news or podcast fan like me but can't always be bothered to set it up on your laptop/tablet then you'll love this.
Most of my family have DAB radios back in the UK and im always a bit jealous, apart from the time difference this feels like just the same.
$299 from Harvey Norman.

julesnye Mar 14th 2013 6:25 pm

Re: My latest gadget

I have a DAB radio brought over from the UK it works ok but doesn't find many stations. I need to do a software upgrade to it so maybe that will help The sound quality is great though!

AndyEvs Mar 14th 2013 6:47 pm

Yeah I understand there are some digital stations here but not down here in the middle of nowhere, my DAB unit picks up nothing.

BEVS Mar 14th 2013 8:09 pm

Now I want one. World service and Radio 4 :wub:

Catchafire Mar 14th 2013 9:14 pm

We have an Apple TV setup here at home and I also use Spotify, which streams pretty much whatever we want, all of which can be controlled via iphone/ipad.

Although my wife is a bit of a luddite, when it comes to these things, even she is getting the hang of it.

Have the Apple TV plugged into a Cambridge Audio DAC, which cleans up the signal and elevates it to CD like quality.

Originally Posted by AndyEvs (Post 10602945)
Now we're talking! I have loads of Global Underground, Sasha, Digweed etc too. Was really into breakbeat for a while too but for running there is nothing better than Above & Beyond, either the old podcasts 'Trance Around the World' (250 is my fave) or the new 'Group Therapy' podcasts. They are all available to download. I also really like the Eric Prydz podcast and for D&B I still really rate High Contrast and the Hospital Radio podcasts.
Think I might post separately about my new gadget that I am listening to a podcast on right now.

I am listening to Netsky at the moment, streamed in via Spotify, although I am supposed to be doing some work, instead of annoying the neighbours.

Thanks for the recommendations. Check out some Big Bud and Omni Trio if you like something more liquid.

AndyEvs Mar 14th 2013 9:40 pm

I have an Apple TV too, and I love it but this little radio is just so easy to use and I like the way it just sits there on the surface in the kitchen. It also has an internal rechargeable battery so I can take out onto the deck (or even to the bathroom!).
with my apple tv running through my cambridge amp it sounds great but is just too much of a faff when I just want to listen to Radio 4.

Snap Shot Mar 14th 2013 9:47 pm

I'd like to get in on this but as I've just ordered an MP3 player from Bond and Bond I'd better back off ! I'm just not techno enough !!

I can record vinyl records, cassettes, cds directly on to it using the toy I bought my husband for Christmas last year.

Am I catching up gadget wise ? My factory fitted car radio has been replaced. I can listen to more than two radio stations now !

AndyEvs Mar 14th 2013 11:18 pm

The beauty of this gadget is that you don't need to be in any way tech savvy. If you are one of those people who used to have a radio sat in the kitchen to listen to Radio 4 (or anything else!) and find the NZ stations not quite to your taste then i would highly recommend it. Took all of 5 mins to set up.
Catchafire - this has spotify built in but i think you need a premium account to use it.
http://reviews.cnet.com/portable-aud...-35419331.html