Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

My Journey so far - 10 months in...

My Journey so far - 10 months in...

Old Mar 11th 2009, 1:08 am
Just Joined

nzdave is an unknown quantity at this point
Default My Journey so far - 10 months in...

Hi Guys

New poster to the forum but a keen reader for the last 5 months or so when I was pointed in the correct direction.

We made the move from Edinburgh to Wellington in June 2008, so for what its worth i thought I would give my views and opinions on some frequently asked questions on here.

We fly Air New Zealand via Los Angelas where we stopped for 3 days. You could not fault Air NZ - great service, food, on demand films...you name it they had it. We also had a great time in LA. Although we were a bit apprehensive given all the bad press LA, especially its airport got, we were expecting the worst but actually found it pain free! We went via LA due to the extra baggage allowance you are given. Its a huge help if your here for 2 years like us.

We used Crown relocations for moving stuff across. Again found them extremley good. Our container arrived in Wellington about 5 weeks after we did - nothing broken, aeverything well packed, and the removal guys brought everything up to our house (even up the 3 flights of stairs!!). Again they were first class.

Wellington is a great city. Not too big and not too small. It does suffer from extremley inconsistent weather though that is starting to drive us barmy! Windy, sunny, rainy, overcast...and thats just by lunchtime. The city has so much going on all the time, and there is no shortage of concerts, sporting events, gigs, walks.

There is so much to see and do throughout New Zealand. We have no problems about jumping in the car and escaping the city for the weekends. The petrol is much cheaper than home, as is car hire. The public transport is also pretty good. We spent 4 weeks down south with friends over Xmas and New Year - for those of you who havent been down the west coast in the South Island...GET THERE SOON!!

On the down side, you are very far from home, meaning we are occasionally homesick and I miss not seeing the football at 3pm on a Saturday afternoon!!

Overall I feel NZ has taken a lot of stick on this board recently much of which is a bit unwarranted. Obviously our experience could be different from others but again this board is for just that...sharing opinions. Happy to answer any queries anyone may have or if I can point anyone in the right direction!!

Old Mar 11th 2009, 1:17 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My Journey so far - 10 months in...

Originally Posted by nzdave
Hi Guys

New poster to the forum but a keen reader for the last 5 months or so when I was pointed in the correct direction.

We made the move from Edinburgh to Wellington in June 2008, so for what its worth i thought I would give my views and opinions on some frequently asked questions on here.

We fly Air New Zealand via Los Angelas where we stopped for 3 days. You could not fault Air NZ - great service, food, on demand films...you name it they had it. We also had a great time in LA. Although we were a bit apprehensive given all the bad press LA, especially its airport got, we were expecting the worst but actually found it pain free! We went via LA due to the extra baggage allowance you are given. Its a huge help if your here for 2 years like us.

We used Crown relocations for moving stuff across. Again found them extremley good. Our container arrived in Wellington about 5 weeks after we did - nothing broken, aeverything well packed, and the removal guys brought everything up to our house (even up the 3 flights of stairs!!). Again they were first class.

Wellington is a great city. Not too big and not too small. It does suffer from extremley inconsistent weather though that is starting to drive us barmy! Windy, sunny, rainy, overcast...and thats just by lunchtime. The city has so much going on all the time, and there is no shortage of concerts, sporting events, gigs, walks.

There is so much to see and do throughout New Zealand. We have no problems about jumping in the car and escaping the city for the weekends. The petrol is much cheaper than home, as is car hire. The public transport is also pretty good. We spent 4 weeks down south with friends over Xmas and New Year - for those of you who havent been down the west coast in the South Island...GET THERE SOON!!

On the down side, you are very far from home, meaning we are occasionally homesick and I miss not seeing the football at 3pm on a Saturday afternoon!!

Overall I feel NZ has taken a lot of stick on this board recently much of which is a bit unwarranted. Obviously our experience could be different from others but again this board is for just that...sharing opinions. Happy to answer any queries anyone may have or if I can point anyone in the right direction!!

Welcome. Glad you like Wellington so much, so do I. If you are only here for 2 years, you will be fine..it will be a Ball but most posters on here have emigrated and so once they have done the immediate area, they might start to get itchy feet/ go a bit stir crazy. Especially if the lower wages mean even escape to Oz proves difficult.
It would be great to start a thread 'Day/Weekend Trips' from Wellington...could be a vast array if you flew I suppose....not so plentiful if you want to drive. I've got a couple of my own (Makara beach, Greytown) - I'd love some new ones...please share.
Old Mar 11th 2009, 1:45 am
Just Joined

nzdave is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: My Journey so far - 10 months in...

Originally Posted by luvwelly
Welcome. Glad you like Wellington so much, so do I. If you are only here for 2 years, you will be fine..it will be a Ball but most posters on here have emigrated and so once they have done the immediate area, they might start to get itchy feet/ go a bit stir crazy. Especially if the lower wages mean even escape to Oz proves difficult.
It would be great to start a thread 'Day/Weekend Trips' from Wellington...could be a vast array if you flew I suppose....not so plentiful if you want to drive. I've got a couple of my own (Makara beach, Greytown) - I'd love some new ones...please share.
We have driven across to Cape Palliser...fantastic drive in the summer, with Seal Colonys literally beside the raod. Martinborough is a great day trip out...especially for the wine lovers!