Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

My job went to India and all I got was this lousy T-Shirt

My job went to India and all I got was this lousy T-Shirt

Old Jun 12th 2009, 2:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My job went to India and all I got was this lousy T-Shirt

Originally Posted by Robbo25

Isn't that the UK you are describing!!???
a) The UK allows millions of people from any country whatsoever to stay

b) They claim benefits and free housing, plus free medical care

Seriously, it can't be worse than that.

Why on earth does the government want so much control over it's citizens ...

The "Nanny State" at its worst. ...

Honestly, I don't see the UK would be any better than NZ these days.
Old Jun 13th 2009, 11:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Browner_

No , I cant leave it at that.

A country where there is no opportunity to improve yourself without going abroad, a country where an average person is far better off having loads of kids and dole bludging than working hard at a career?

You must be kidding.

What were your reasons/what's the point? for escaping from the UK then?

make no sense, eh? (If you are an _average_ person, as you've said... )

unless you have loads of kids Or/and Dole bludging and proud of it

Jeeze, I don't think we have any idea what we're in for.

You sound a little bitter, mate.

Are you SERIOUS?
I was half serious, half-sarcastic. ...

don't want to raise my voice here though, one of the big problems for the Clark Government had to do with comparative economic performance and I am not saying Clark's lot has done a great job (or anything like that), but I must admit that it was rather *stable*. and, truth be told, the unemployment rate was very low (unlike now!).

It seems there's a bunch of factors involved, difficult to give a simple yes or no answer, as It All Depends How You See It ... It depends on what you focus on, what you're comparing it to and how you look at the situation and you must allow me that I have my own thoughts too. Well I don't believe we can make a fair comparison anyway.

So was the Labour Government the worst in our political history?

Which govt would you like to call a "better govt" eh? After all, we get what we deserve.

But one thing's for sure: No Matter Who's Prime Minister, it's hard for me to believe it will make much difference Or it will have much effect on the lives of ordinary poooor people like us... Will his new government make a big difference to the country's future then? ... I Doubt it.

geographic isolation AND small population (a low-productivity, low-wage economy) - these two main factors: NZ has always been – and always will be... the *same*. (with poorly developed infrastructure and no real sense of how far it lags behind Europe ) Face It, We'll Never Be Rich. kiwi’s don’t even know what they are missing and have learned to live with the small amount of cr@p they have anyway.

Got my first pay raise at the end of last year, so now I earn $72000. Nonetheless, I still feel *poor*. (turn my $$ salary into ££ ?! I need to stop thinking in $$$£££ though) and am madly trying to save money to go back to the UK one day.

Almost everyday we are STILL hearing of further job cuts in the public service - Key said more would go as the Government tries to cut costs - This literally makes me nervous! None of the people I know are happy with the election results. Sure many of them are public servants. We sulked and sulked just after the election.

I'm rather sceptical about my career choice lately. I should have carried on studying MUSIC! Seriously.(Wish I was a concert violinist!)

Obviously I am Not a fan of political endorsements AND political debates! - In fact I avoid them like the plague.

Last edited by crap coffee; Jun 14th 2009 at 12:42 am.
Old Jun 14th 2009, 2:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

No , I cant leave it at that.

A country where there is no opportunity to improve yourself without going abroad, a country where an average person is far better off having loads of kids and dole bludging than working hard at a career?

You must be kidding.

I have never met such an unmotivated and depressing workforce than I have here in NZ.
Oh dear Browner things must be tough for you here in NZ.

I don't think I have ever read anything other than negative (and rather sweeping) statements in your posts. I have to wonder why you continue to suffer NZ.

It really can't be good for you.

I am not saying "if you don't like it go home". I really feel for you. I can't imagine myself living with such negative energy.
Old Jun 14th 2009, 7:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crap coffee

What were your reasons/what's the point? for escaping from the UK then?

make no sense, eh? (If you are an _average_ person, as you've said... )

unless you have loads of kids Or/and Dole bludging and proud of it

Jeeze, I don't think we have any idea what we're in for.
Wasnt escaping anything.
Kiwi wife, simple as that.
Career down the drain, financial security down the drain.
Social variety down the drain.
Now living in the land of the hoon.
Old Jun 20th 2009, 4:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

I have never met such an unmotivated and depressing workforce than I have here in NZ.
It largely depends on what profession you have. For the professionals I don't think it is too terrible (in my experience at least) and working in NZ can be positive in many aspects. However, to some extent, I agree that there is some degree of truth in what you said. As far as "motivation" goes, it is not "motivation" but "inspiration", which most Kiwi workplaces need desperately!

In fact, 'motivation' is a much more complex issue than it may seem and 'work motivation' is one of the key areas of Organizational Psychology. I had a bit of information given to me on that subject, especially during a course on adaptive and efficient coping behavior that I took in my last semester. Incidentally, I came across an interesting theory called Douglas McGregor's Theory X & Theory Y. Basically, he summarized two possible views of management in worker motivation which I found quite fascinating.

Hey, things don't always go your way. Sometimes life is not fair and you don't always get what you deserve :-) ...

There have been some stressful situations at my work lately. (Wouldn't it be nicer if we could have consistency to continue the happiness level in which we all work?) I find some people at work difficult. (my immediate supervisor in particular. Not good.) perhaps people aren't difficult by nature, it is just that our perception of them that makes it easy or difficult I guess - it really is a matter of attitude! The workplace like any place you bring a bunch of people together, is a jumble of many different characters. Indeed, a lot of people are just self-centered, horribly rude, helpless, hopelessly unmotivated or just not smart enough! On top of that, most managers couldn’t care less what’s fair or what you need which is cr@p.

You get what you pay for. A business organization that doesn't give extrinsic motivation may lose their brightest to those that do. My workplace now is GOOD at both positive and negative extrinsic and intrinsic motivation - as with anything in life, there needs to be a balance. Also the people, atmosphere and technology are what keep you motivated and happy at work. It's important to love your job and to be happy when you're at work, because happy people are more motivated, productive, creative and thus have better achievement. I must admit I was quite surprised that my colleagues are all lovely, very polite, friendly, helpful and HAPPY! They introduced themselves and continue to say hello and shake hands with me. I am seriously honoured to work with such a great bunch of professional people!

The professionalism makes for a superb working environment, and people take their work seriously. If the project fails it will affect not only our department, but also the whole organization. So we still strive our hardest to succeed. To tell you the truth, it's a hectic job, which takes up far too much of my time - a LOT of analytical work and writing. (We rarely get thrown out at 5.30 pm) I'd be lying if I said "I love my job", but let's just say I'm doing ok.

Thankfully, we have a gorgeous office environment - it's very spacious and bright with a fantastic water view! Moreover, the working atmosphere is really pleasant (very cooperative too) and the technology is all incredibly great. I actually enjoy coming to work and leaving each day feeling as though I made a difference. Waking up early in the morning to go to work is a less painful daily event for me!

Although there are a few small things that I don't like about my job/boss, by and large it's very enjoyable. btw, there is a big party in our office (govt funded ) every Friday morning to keep people interacting with their colleagues plus there are great offers on excellent food. It's awesome!!!! We also have guest speakers (scientists, politicians and lecturers etc) from overseas to give talks Every Friday... (for educational purposes) They can be quite tough to digest! However, it's hard to catch up if you get behind.

What I'm trying to say is ... 'work is work'! And at least they give you opportunities to improve yourself, so it's not all bad!

Staying motivated at work is easier than you think when you know what to do. But even the most motivated of employees occasionally experiences a slump!

Well, we can't control what life throws at us, can we?

I feel for you. You don't sound too happy. Some times in your career you have to work with people you don’t like, no matter what country you are in, but at the end of the day you still need to try get along with them by being open-minded. Your Happiness Begins With Yourself!

Anyway enough of my ramblings, I’m sure you are smart enough to know what you need to do in order to make yourself happier and be at your best. After all, it's not easy to find a person who is happy about his/her job. I'm not really the office job type of person, I AM a Crazy Artist, you know! But don't loose hope. Be proud and confident in what you have done and what you can accomplish. You can still make choices that will positively affect your future.

Last edited by crap coffee; Jun 20th 2009 at 5:36 pm.
Old Jun 20th 2009, 9:03 pm
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute

It largely depends on what profession you have. For the professionals I don't think it is too terrible (in my experience at least) and working in NZ can be positive in many aspects. However, to some extent, I agree that there is some degree of truth in what you said. As far as "motivation" goes, it is not "motivation" but "inspiration", which most Kiwi workplaces need desperately!

In fact, 'motivation' is a much more complex issue than it may seem and 'work motivation' is one of the key areas of Organizational Psychology. I had a bit of information given to me on that subject, especially during a course on adaptive and efficient coping behavior that I took in my last semester. Incidentally, I came across an interesting theory called Douglas McGregor's Theory X & Theory Y. Basically, he summarized two possible views of management in worker motivation which I found quite fascinating.

Hey, things don't always go your way. Sometimes life is not fair and you don't always get what you deserve :-) ...

There have been some stressful situations at my work lately. (Wouldn't it be nicer if we could have consistency to continue the happiness level in which we all work?) I find some people at work difficult. (my immediate supervisor in particular. Not good.) perhaps people aren't difficult by nature, it is just that our perception of them that makes it easy or difficult I guess - it really is a matter of attitude! The workplace like any place you bring a bunch of people together, is a jumble of many different characters. Indeed, a lot of people are just self-centered, horribly rude, helpless, hopelessly unmotivated or just not smart enough! On top of that, most managers couldn’t care less what’s fair or what you need which is cr@p.

You get what you pay for. A business organization that doesn't give extrinsic motivation may lose their brightest to those that do. My workplace now is GOOD at both positive and negative extrinsic and intrinsic motivation - as with anything in life, there needs to be a balance. Also the people, atmosphere and technology are what keep you motivated and happy at work. It's important to love your job and to be happy when you're at work, because happy people are more motivated, productive, creative and thus have better achievement. I must admit I was quite surprised that my colleagues are all lovely, very polite, friendly, helpful and HAPPY! They introduced themselves and continue to say hello and shake hands with me. I am seriously honoured to work with such a great bunch of professional people!

The professionalism makes for a superb working environment, and people take their work seriously. If the project fails it will affect not only our department, but also the whole organization. So we still strive our hardest to succeed. To tell you the truth, it's a hectic job, which takes up far too much of my time - a LOT of analytical work and writing. (We rarely get thrown out at 5.30 pm) I'd be lying if I said "I love my job", but let's just say I'm doing ok.

Thankfully, we have a gorgeous office environment - it's very spacious and bright with a fantastic water view! Moreover, the working atmosphere is really pleasant (very cooperative too) and the technology is all incredibly great. I actually enjoy coming to work and leaving each day feeling as though I made a difference. Waking up early in the morning to go to work is a less painful daily event for me!

Although there are a few small things that I don't like about my job/boss, by and large it's very enjoyable. btw, there is a big party in our office (govt funded ) every Friday morning to keep people interacting with their colleagues plus there are great offers on excellent food. It's awesome!!!! We also have guest speakers (scientists, politicians and lecturers etc) from overseas to give talks Every Friday... (for educational purposes) They can be quite tough to digest! However, it's hard to catch up if you get behind.

What I'm trying to say is ... 'work is work'! And at least they give you opportunities to improve yourself, so it's not all bad!

Staying motivated at work is easier than you think when you know what to do. But even the most motivated of employees occasionally experiences a slump!

I feel for you. You don't sound too happy. Some times in your career you have to work with people you don’t like, no matter what country you are in, but at the end of the day you still need to try get along with them by being open-minded. Your Happiness Begins With Yourself!

Anyway enough of my ramblings, I’m sure you are smart enough to know what you need to do in order to make yourself happier and be at your best. After all, it's not easy to find a person who is happy about his/her job. I'm not really the office job type of person, I AM a Crazy Artist, you know! But don't loose hope. Be proud and confident in what you have done and what you can accomplish. You can still make choices that will positively affect your future.
Hear hear!!! After at least 1 bottle of wine I do think you've 'hit the nail on the head'
Thanks!
Old Jun 21st 2009, 12:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

well said.

But we can control our reaction to it. IMHO it's better to act on it rather than react to it.