Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

my ignorance of mobile phones!!!!!

my ignorance of mobile phones!!!!!

Old May 10th 2006, 7:43 am
Forum Regular

brackley has much to be proud ofbrackley has much to be proud ofbrackley has much to be proud ofbrackley has much to be proud ofbrackley has much to be proud ofbrackley has much to be proud ofbrackley has much to be proud ofbrackley has much to be proud ofbrackley has much to be proud ofbrackley has much to be proud ofbrackley has much to be proud of
Default my ignorance of mobile phones!!!!!

just a few questions regarding mobile phones. if we were to buy one in the uk, which network do we have to go for? also i've read somewhere on here that you can by nz sim cards, how do you go about getting them in the uk? info on this will be very useful. thanks
Old May 10th 2006, 8:14 am
Account Closed

Apple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: my ignorance of mobile phones!!!!!

Originally Posted by brackley
just a few questions regarding mobile phones. if we were to buy one in the uk, which network do we have to go for? also i've read somewhere on here that you can by nz sim cards, how do you go about getting them in the uk? info on this will be very useful. thanks
Short answer, which ever network you like =) Just walk into any mobile shop on the high street or in a mall and ask for the cheapest plan. Best to go for a 'pay as you go' plan as this you top up with credit when you run out. If you choose a 'contract' plan you may be still tied to paying a monthly bill in pounds after you have left the UK.

In the UK phones are usually offered free as part of the package, however in NZ you pay extra for the phone. So doing the package in the UK makes sense with a couple of caveats. One: the phone may or may not work with a NZ simcard - it can be locked to the UK network so you may have to pay a small fee to get it unlocked. Two: only one phone company (Vodafone NZ) uses sim cards in NZ so you won't have a choice of provider (Telecom NZ uses a different technology). I don't know why you would want to get a sim card before landing in NZ, they are pretty easy to get hold of once landed.

Hope this has made things a little clearer.
Old May 11th 2006, 1:42 am
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by brackley
My advice would be to wait till you get to NZ and then walk into a vodafone shop and pick up a phone and starter pack sim card, unless you have a particular reasone to buy one in the UK. Some UK networks block their phones so you would need to unblock it before you leave for NZ otherwise you wont be able to use it.

Check out vodafone.co.nz for proces of phones in NZ..
Old May 17th 2006, 9:37 am
Just Joined

no1home will become famous soon enough

Hi I brought my sharpe pic phone in the UK as it was cheaper then looked on the internet and paid for the code to unlock it. It was easy. Now I m on vodafone pay as you go. If you get a pic phone remember you cannot send pic s home on a NZ sim card.
Old May 17th 2006, 10:58 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Just buy the cheapest phone you can (Argos do really cheap ones) and get it unlocked for a fiver at your local market or car boot sale. Some networks don't lock their phones now I believe in the UK but just to be safe maybe get it done anyway cos it is about $80 to get it done here ... or it was last time I enquired!
You can buy sim cards at the airport as you arrive or even rent them
Old May 17th 2006, 11:08 am
Forum Regular

brackley has much to be proud ofbrackley has much to be proud ofbrackley has much to be proud ofbrackley has much to be proud ofbrackley has much to be proud ofbrackley has much to be proud ofbrackley has much to be proud ofbrackley has much to be proud ofbrackley has much to be proud ofbrackley has much to be proud ofbrackley has much to be proud of

thanks for all your info everyone, very useful. brackley