Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

My Husband, shouting from the settee...

My Husband, shouting from the settee...

Old Nov 10th 2005, 9:13 am
Forum Regular

hubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nice
Default My Husband, shouting from the settee...

Having heard me read out the thread about negative opinions on NZ, offers the following...
He grew up in a council estate in Essex, his father was a builder, his mother ran a hotdog van, in which him, his father, and brother had to sit outside watching on friday / saturday night in case it was 'done over', and yet he has never felt so skint or less able to obtain a better standard of living as to what he experienced in NZ.

These are his words. We are now in Australia but NZ sucked. Heady words coming from a council estate boy -( again his words).
Old Nov 10th 2005, 9:23 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My Husband, shouting from the settee...

Originally Posted by hubbard
Having heard me read out the thread about negative opinions on NZ, offers the following...
He grew up in a council estate in Essex, his father was a builder, his mother ran a hotdog van, in which him, his father, and brother had to sit outside watching on friday / saturday night in case it was 'done over', and yet he has never felt so skint or less able to obtain a better standard of living as to what he experienced in NZ.

These are his words. We are now in Australia but NZ sucked. Heady words coming from a council estate boy -( again his words).
Can believe that!
Old Nov 10th 2005, 9:25 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

So how long were you in NZ, we have another 15 months to go before we get our passport then we may try Oz.
Old Nov 10th 2005, 9:50 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: My Husband, shouting from the settee...

Glad you made it to Oz. Could you shout back at your husband and ask him what aspects of NZ financial life contributed to this statement - low wages, high costs, couldnt get job etc??? We currently live in UK but can choose to live in Oz or NZ and it's great to get the balance of peoples experiences.

Thanks

Buzzy
Old Nov 10th 2005, 7:47 pm
Forum Regular

hubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nice

Apologies to all for my rather rude thread, the sentiments are true, but I could have translated his words better, from Essex speak to English. The only excuse is we were rather drunk. We had just been for drinks and dinner at The Rocks on a glorious sunny evening with a view of the opera house, and it didn't cost an arm and a leg!

Buzzy Bee - what disappointed us about NZ were:
Job opportunities (limited career prospects, as only a handful of truly international companies)
Salaries - 20% lower in most cases than here in Aus (but tax is heavier)
Appalling traffic in Auckland and no public transport system
Weather - not as hot, and far too much rain
Cost of food - advacado was $4 in Countdown in Oz an advacado is $1.99.
Everyone seems to 'make do' and there is a definite look of shabbiness to the man made things (houses, roads etc)
Cost of travel overseas.

If you have the choice of both places I firmly believe emigrating to Oz is far easier in terms of settling in and enjoying the lifestyle than NZ.

We have not yet seen any creepy crawlies in Sydney, nor is it a burning dessert.
Old Nov 10th 2005, 7:49 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Apologies to all for my rather rude thread, the sentiments are true, but I could have translated his words better, from Essex speak to English. The only excuse is we were rather drunk. We had just been for drinks and dinner at The Rocks on a glorious sunny evening with a view of the opera house, and it didn't cost an arm and a leg!

Job opportunities (limited career prospects, as only a handful of truly international companies)
Everyone seems to 'make do' and there is a definite look of shabbiness to the man made things (houses, roads etc)
Cost of travel overseas.

If you have the choice of both places I firmly believe emigrating to Oz is far easier in terms of settling in and enjoying the lifestyle than NZ.

We have not yet seen any creepy crawlies in Sydney, nor is it a burning dessert.
Thanks Hubbard, very interesting.

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Nov 10th 2005, 7:58 pm
Forum Regular

Also, look at the discussion boards on BE, if these boards are slightly reprsentative of the migrating masses, look how many struggle in NZ and find it does not up to expectations. It would appear far more than on the Oz boards, couple with that the popularity of Oz over NZ as a migrant destination, the high number of Kiwis living in OZ, and a picture starts to appear.

Apologies in advance to 'shepslady' - I appreciate it is your homeland and I don't mean to be insulting to you.
Old Nov 10th 2005, 9:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of light

Cost of travel overseas.

that sounds rough, not sure what to think, as a nurse i think im doing well ish here but will have to wait to see what its like living on the kiwi dollar. My pay after tax is the same as the after tax pay i used to get in the UK which is good, just neet to see if things are more expensive here compaired to home. So will keep you updated. My quality of life has increased a great deal, and my kiwi mates live in nice houses, and are in noway shabby, and these are peeps who work on the railways, other nurses and alike. But it is still early days for me, but will wait and see.

I dont regret moving here but can see understand some people get depressed and negative being so far from home, and there is a culture shock.

good luck and hope Oz turns out better for you

Sugo
Old Nov 10th 2005, 11:09 pm
Banned

Debs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to all

We didn't have the money nor strength to try Australia. I bet it would have been alot better than NZ now looking back, pity that. Glad to hear you were able to flit over to OZ Hubbard, best of luck, hope you love it there!!
Old Nov 11th 2005, 5:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

Cost of travel overseas.

Job prospects - depends on your job
Salary - again depends on your job, see posts by Sugo
Traffic !!!....... no traffic problems in Rotorua
Weather, just perfect for us fair skinned Brits, used to the cold in the NE of the UK
Advocado- Countdown Rotorua 89 cents
There are "shabby" areas in every country, just back from Melbourne and was appalled by some of the areas there. Approached by "beggers" 3 times as I walked down one street.

Could not believe how easy it was to settle in NZ.

Just my view......... Gill
Old Nov 11th 2005, 7:29 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Cost of travel overseas.

I use public transport every day in Auckland. I think it depends on which company you use as I used Stagecoach when I got here and found them to be awful. Rude drivers (not Kiwi, Maori, Islander nor Indian), never on time etc.etc. I use Birkenhead Transport now and they're great.

I'm earning more Dollars than I did in Euro but not as much going out so I'm better off. I know if there was month left at the end of the money I'd hate it but there isn't so no worries for us, so far anyway.

My hubby lived in Sydney for 6 months and liked it when he was there but was glad to come home too. We would like to visit but I'd be a bit worried about the terrorism threat now. I think it's a 'when' not 'if' situation.
Old Nov 11th 2005, 7:53 am
Member of Mumo-land

mumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of light

Cost of travel overseas.

Spot on! We currently live in NZ but think we wil probably return to Oz within 5 years. OH has good job here but money goes nowhere and vibe is nowhere near as postive as Oz. Cost of living is approx 20% dearer here and no super etc. Poor man lives here!