Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Is my footy obsession really over?

Is my footy obsession really over?

Old Aug 3rd 2006, 7:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute
Default Is my footy obsession really over?

Ladies and gentlemen. My second thread posted tonight is posted with concern,regret,and yes,even a small tinge of panic.
I have been a fan of Liverpool FC through the good times as well as those two bad years in the 90's.
Rumour has it that the chances of me catching a glimpse of the 5 times European Champions,18 times League Champions,6 times FA Cup winners,etc in my new home are,at best,negligible.
Can anyone confirm this? Please be gentle.
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 8:06 pm
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is my footy obsession really over?

I'm not a footy fan as such but do hold more than a smidgen of affection for Liverpool. They don't show the games live here but as far as I'm aware (I could be wrong) you can get to see a/some ?? games the following night. The FA cup was shown live I believe and I have seen some 'highlights' programmes on Sky too (I like them - get to see all the good bits without having to watch the whole game ). There does seem to be an increase in 'soccer' (I'm Irish - we call it soccer too) popularity though. I don't know - can you get sports through BitTorrent or something like that?
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 8:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Batty
I'm not a footy fan as such but do hold more than a smidgen of affection for Liverpool. They don't show the games live here but as far as I'm aware (I could be wrong) you can get to see a/some ?? games the following night. The FA cup was shown live I believe and I have seen some 'highlights' programmes on Sky too (I like them - get to see all the good bits without having to watch the whole game ). There does seem to be an increase in 'soccer' (I'm Irish - we call it soccer too) popularity though. I don't know - can you get sports through BitTorrent or something like that?
This is already reassuring.Highlights will do. I'm already aware you have to be a lover of 'egg chasing',or rugby,and I am also sad in other areas-love cricket so I'm sure there'll be enough for me and me son to be getting on with.
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 9:25 pm
Forum Regular

annaerb will become famous soon enoughannaerb will become famous soon enough

Hi Danny,

I'm a Rugby Fan have a look at SKY TV , they do have Soccer programmes on ESPN channel have a look here
http://www.skytv.co.nz/guide_popup.c...ug-2006&genre=

Here is the Index which has contact details so maybe send them an email and ask about your Liverpool team.
http://www.skytv.co.nz/index.cfm?pageid=449
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 9:46 pm

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute

We have sky sports package, and husband can be found regularly up at 3am watching West Bromwich Albion play (not so sure he will do next season though since their relegation).....

Fact though - in new zealand more people play "soccer" than rugby - it is really big out here, and I think there are a few sports bars/pubs that show some games.
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 9:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by annaerb
Hi Danny,

I'm a Rugby Fan have a look at SKY TV , they do have Soccer programmes on ESPN channel have a look here
http://www.skytv.co.nz/guide_popup.c...ug-2006&genre=

Here is the Index which has contact details so maybe send them an email and ask about your Liverpool team.
http://www.skytv.co.nz/index.cfm?pageid=449
That is damned fine of you-thank you so much. Will do. Isn't ESPN American-is most of NZ's sky programming American based?
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 9:50 pm

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by danny.f
That is damned fine of you-thank you so much. Will do. Isn't ESPN American-is most of NZ's sky programming American based?
There certainly is a lot of US stuff, but just as much UK stuff, coronation street gets prime time twice a week... then theres UK TV, and we also get loads of UK docus, reality TV type shows that show you how to be perfect parents etc !! .... in the background at the moment the theme tune to Trisha has just ended and Casualty has just started!!! grrrreat...!!!!!
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 10:02 pm
Forum Regular

annaerb will become famous soon enoughannaerb will become famous soon enough

Danny,

I'm sure they have the Soccer on the normal TV stations as my Dad doesn't have SKY and I'm sure he watches the matches.

Here is Local TV1 and TV2 channels
http://tvnz.co.nz/view/tvone_index_s...ne_index_group

TV3 channel
http://www.tv3.co.nz/

Carol
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 10:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

This is all excellently reassuring,thank you,God bless the baggies and all who support 'em,always have a laugh when they come to Anfield.
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 10:21 pm

This is all excellently reassuring,thank you,God bless the baggies and all who support 'em,always have a laugh when they come to Anfield.
"boing boing"
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 10:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

kwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by P18PPS
There certainly is a lot of US stuff, but just as much UK stuff, coronation street gets prime time twice a week... then theres UK TV, and we also get loads of UK docus, reality TV type shows that show you how to be perfect parents etc !! .... in the background at the moment the theme tune to Trisha has just ended and Casualty has just started!!! grrrreat...!!!!!
coronation street

i came here to escape that and my mother in law is an avid watcher

*runs and hides*
Old Aug 4th 2006, 4:38 am
BE Enthusiast

cottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to all

Ladies and gentlemen. My second thread posted tonight is posted with concern,regret,and yes,even a small tinge of panic.
I have been a fan of Liverpool FC through the good times as well as those two bad years in the 90's.
Rumour has it that the chances of me catching a glimpse of the 5 times European Champions,18 times League Champions,6 times FA Cup winners,etc in my new home are,at best,negligible.
the only thing you have to cope with is the time difference - soccer/Wimbledon/Roland Garros/European grand prix/European golf circuit, etc,etc. - all there on Sky, just difficult to cope with work/every day life at the same time - I have been promising myself that one year, I'll sleep during the day and watch Wimbledon fortnight live overnight ....
Old Aug 4th 2006, 9:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by kwprwn
coronation street

i came here to escape that and my mother in law is an avid watcher

*runs and hides*

That is funny. My wife has just read that over my shoulder and is now delighted that her apparent sacrifice of all things Weatherfield is not to be. My in-laws also adicted to all things soap (alas-not the washy stuff though), so I suspect we will be seeing a lot of them. Only kidding-in-laws are cool. Gotta say that,me wife will be reading this when she returns from work. Hi love,had a nice day? Nosey cow!!
Old Aug 4th 2006, 11:15 am
Just Joined

petergalbraith12 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am a massive arsenal fan and am movin to NZ in September. I think if u have a sky+ box u can record the matchs caus they will probably be on sky sports.
Old Aug 4th 2006, 11:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by petergalbraith12
I am a massive arsenal fan and am movin to NZ in September. I think if u have a sky+ box u can record the matchs caus they will probably be on sky sports.

Peter,you're from Aberdeenshire,yet you support the Gooners!!? Surely from that distance you'd be more suited to support the Mancs,Man U's fans generally come from abroad,even Scotland! Can you take a sky+ boxy thing?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.