My Fishing Gear

Old Apr 30th 2007, 9:32 am
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute
Default My Fishing Gear

So i can plan ahead, i was wondering whether i'd be allowed to bring my sea fishing gear with me or not. Anybody know? It's not a lot of gear, so if i have to pay for it to be de contaminated, it might not be worth it. Anyway, anybody know?

Old Apr 30th 2007, 10:20 am
Banned

Hang11 has a spectacular aura aboutHang11 has a spectacular aura aboutHang11 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: My Fishing Gear

Originally Posted by simonmarkellis
So i can plan ahead, i was wondering whether i'd be allowed to bring my sea fishing gear with me or not. Anybody know? It's not a lot of gear, so if i have to pay for it to be de contaminated, it might not be worth it. Anyway, anybody know?

Should be fine if it's clean and dry.
Old Apr 30th 2007, 10:25 am
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hang11
Should be fine if it's clean and dry.
that's great! Do you know what the fishing is like in NZ?
Old Apr 30th 2007, 10:33 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

Some silly b*gger is going to say it so it might as well be me:

WET !
Old Apr 30th 2007, 10:42 am
Forum Regular

justinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to all

Simon - I'm hoping to buy a motor/fishing boat when I come over in September to fish off Auckland so personally I think the fishing is great (compared to Bridlington ).

Here's last weeks report:

""The snapper arrived late and are staying late. And on Wednesday this week a boat trolling for skipjack in relatively shallow water close-in behind Whale Island near Whakatane hooked a 114kg striped marlin.
Normally the school snapper, the schools of surface-feeding kahawai and the anchovies they feed on have gone to deeper waters by the end of April but this year the snapper fishing remains hot in the inner harbour right up as far as Greenhithe and in shallow areas of the Firth of Thames.

John Moran was lucky enough to spend a few days off Great Barrier in the good weather this week, nailing snapper from three to seven kilograms when drift-fishing just off Tryphena Harbour. His group took a wide variety of species, all falling to plastics fished on braid.
The lure must be on or very near the bottom and movement is crucial - but not too much as it gets unrealistic. Short pumps of the rod tip, movement of 10-40cm, is sufficient. Rest and repeat.

Both de Bruyn and TV fishing guru Geoff Thomas worked the back of The Noises during the week, finding fat snapper generally in the 3kg range - perfect eating.

The Rangitoto Channel has slowed, possibly due to fishing pressure and boat traffic. The Motuihe and Sergeant Channels are holding school snapper and kingfish are being taken on live baits around Crusoe Rock.
De Bruyn nailed two marlin close off the Poor Knights in water still at 19.5C earlier in the week and is surprised more people are not fishing what has remained a hot-spot for the past three months. The Whangarei Deep Sea Anglers' Club will record its best season yet.
But farther north the gamefishing has been very patchy, with lots of small marlin and many of them playing with lures then dropping them without striking.
Far North gamefishing this year - you will only do well if you fluke upon a patch of warmer water holding fish and there is no consistency or regular current trails.
On the Manukau, fish are well up the harbour in the Papakura Channel rather than out near the mouth and the Huia Bank.
Snapper in the 30-35cm range are prolific. Some gurnard are being taken as the nights cool but a few more weeks of cold weather should see the snapper move out and the gurnard come in force. Several anglers report tussles with big trevally. These tough scrappers must be played gently or the hook pulls through their soft mouths.""

Sounds good ?
Old Apr 30th 2007, 10:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by justinthyme
Simon - I'm hoping to buy a motor/fishing boat when I come over in September to fish off Auckland so personally I think the fishing is great (compared to Bridlington ).

Here's last weeks report:

""The snapper arrived late and are staying late. And on Wednesday this week a boat trolling for skipjack in relatively shallow water close-in behind Whale Island near Whakatane hooked a 114kg striped marlin.
Normally the school snapper, the schools of surface-feeding kahawai and the anchovies they feed on have gone to deeper waters by the end of April but this year the snapper fishing remains hot in the inner harbour right up as far as Greenhithe and in shallow areas of the Firth of Thames.

John Moran was lucky enough to spend a few days off Great Barrier in the good weather this week, nailing snapper from three to seven kilograms when drift-fishing just off Tryphena Harbour. His group took a wide variety of species, all falling to plastics fished on braid.
The lure must be on or very near the bottom and movement is crucial - but not too much as it gets unrealistic. Short pumps of the rod tip, movement of 10-40cm, is sufficient. Rest and repeat.

Both de Bruyn and TV fishing guru Geoff Thomas worked the back of The Noises during the week, finding fat snapper generally in the 3kg range - perfect eating.

The Rangitoto Channel has slowed, possibly due to fishing pressure and boat traffic. The Motuihe and Sergeant Channels are holding school snapper and kingfish are being taken on live baits around Crusoe Rock.
De Bruyn nailed two marlin close off the Poor Knights in water still at 19.5C earlier in the week and is surprised more people are not fishing what has remained a hot-spot for the past three months. The Whangarei Deep Sea Anglers' Club will record its best season yet.
But farther north the gamefishing has been very patchy, with lots of small marlin and many of them playing with lures then dropping them without striking.
Far North gamefishing this year - you will only do well if you fluke upon a patch of warmer water holding fish and there is no consistency or regular current trails.
On the Manukau, fish are well up the harbour in the Papakura Channel rather than out near the mouth and the Huia Bank.
Snapper in the 30-35cm range are prolific. Some gurnard are being taken as the nights cool but a few more weeks of cold weather should see the snapper move out and the gurnard come in force. Several anglers report tussles with big trevally. These tough scrappers must be played gently or the hook pulls through their soft mouths.""

Sounds good ?
I can't wait...
Old Apr 30th 2007, 10:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by karonious
Some silly b*gger is going to say it so it might as well be me:

WET !
Do you fall in a lot then?
Old Apr 30th 2007, 11:00 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

Do you fall in a lot then?
Last time I went fishing I was about 11 and my brother and I went guddling up the burn........yes, it was very very wet!
We took our 3 young teenage sons on a fishing holiday to France one October. we dropped them off in the mornings, picked them up from the private lake in the evenings, fantastic holiday!
Old Apr 30th 2007, 11:01 am
Banned

Hang11 has a spectacular aura aboutHang11 has a spectacular aura aboutHang11 has a spectacular aura about

Shite

The trout are tiny...don't come here.....

This is where I was fishing yesterday, hour and a half from home, didn't catch anything, but saw one guy with a couple of fantastic browns.

Have a look here for lots of info http://www.fishing.net.nz/
Old Apr 30th 2007, 11:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by karonious
Last time I went fishing I was about 11 and my brother and I went guddling up the burn........yes, it was very very wet!
We took our 3 young teenage sons on a fishing holiday to France one October. we dropped them off in the mornings, picked them up from the private lake in the evenings, fantastic holiday!
You appear to have the same outlook on fishing as my OH!
Old Apr 30th 2007, 11:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Shite

The trout are tiny...don't come here.....

http://web.mac.com/gilesbeal/iWeb/Si...s/DSCF1783.jpg

This is where I was fishing yesterday, hour and a half from home, didn't catch anything, but saw one guy with a couple of fantastic browns.

http://web.mac.com/gilesbeal/iWeb/Si...s/CRW_7199.jpg

Have a look here for lots of info http://www.fishing.net.nz/
My god that's a tiddler you're holding... thanks for the web link though
Old Apr 30th 2007, 11:07 am
Banned

My god that's a tiddler you're holding... thanks for the web link though
I've got big hands
Old Apr 30th 2007, 11:16 am
BE Forum Addict

I've got big hands
The curse of man...
Old Apr 30th 2007, 3:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

So what about bait? are we talking dead bait mostly? or can you get worm?
Old Apr 30th 2007, 7:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

phil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to behold

So what about bait? are we talking dead bait mostly? or can you get worm?
Hi,
hubby uses dead bait...squid seems to get him results but used to fishing ponds in the UK so still keeps throwing them back....DOH! Although I wouldn't know how to prepare one if he bought it home! He goes see fishing and bought his rods with him no problems with customs.