Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

My findings so far; pre-emigration

My findings so far; pre-emigration

Old Nov 16th 2012, 9:00 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My findings so far; pre-emigration

Originally Posted by janiejones
I didn't know that hamsters were illegal here, so when she started her sentence with "That time when I was working in the secure hamster facility" my face must have been a picture! When she explained the effect on the native animals, if one ever escaped, it made sense, but random, much?
Frankly I don't get the problem with hamsters. Unlike rats & mice, Syrian hamsters are solitary creatures, so don't breed at the same rate as the former rodents do. If one escaped I can't see it getting very far in a country full of cats, dogs, possums, & some of the bird life etc.

Overkill in my view.
Old Nov 16th 2012, 9:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

ellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.avalonsguide.com/anab/200...n-new-zealand/

Thought this might be useful, not tried it myself - but will once we get ourselves sorted out - love clotted cream.

This is also another link to supposedly buy it in New Zealand if you cant be bothered or dont have the time yourself.

http://www.avalonsguide.com/anab/201...n-new-zealand/

Let me know how you all get on
Old Nov 17th 2012, 5:48 am
If u see Sid, tell 'im...

Location: Ex of Hucknall and Mansfield, Notts and now in Manly, Whangaparaoa, just North of Auckland!
sirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond repute

I've not been on for a while and have just sat and read the whole thread. There's a lot of what TLuck has said that makes sense but a few bits that don't. A couple of examples;

Research - I had the same thought process and attitude to moving...research, research, research. However, sat in the UK with no idea what was the norm in NZ, research can only get you so far. Yes, you get an idea of what costs and what doesn't but that's only part of the whole living process, the research you do, tends to be forum related and most of the info that you get given is either totally negative or over the top positive. The regular everyday info is often missing, as the people that 'get on with it' don't use or have time for forums.

One thing I don't agree with is the slating of the 'moaners'. We all seem to forget, these 'moaners' did one thing 95% of people don't or didn't do, they got off their arse and moved halfway round the world to a new life and gave it a go. They tried it and it didn't work out for them and what they sought. Well done and I hope you find what you want, wherever that may be.

Oh and I, for one am happy here, although there's a lot I don't like about the place but then there was a lot I didn't like about the UK. I'm happier here than the UK
Old Nov 17th 2012, 11:23 am
Banned

mikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to all

I was in NZ for 6 years and saw prices in all departments rise to ridiculous levels, so much so we had to leave as our living conditions became far worse than what we left behind in Europe. This happened overtime whilst we were there, so any amount of research could not prepare us for that.
Old Nov 17th 2012, 5:32 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sirplug
One thing I don't agree with is the slating of the 'moaners'. We all seem to forget, these 'moaners' did one thing 95% of people don't or didn't do, they got off their arse and moved halfway round the world to a new life and gave it a go.
I must admit, I'm never quite comfy with the idea lots of people have that we're somehow special because we did something 95% or whatever of people never do. I think we're pretty lucky, yes. Possibly a bit brave but if you look at people's motivations for doing it it's often a huge dollop of wanderlust and wanting something different, which isn't really bravery. Brave is working for an aid agency in a dangerous country or climbing Everest or speaking up for the disadvantaged when it costs you to do so, not, imo, moving to one of the most peaceful and Western and English speaking countries on earth. The first wave of immigrants were defo brave though but us lot, nah I don't think so.

Originally Posted by mikesurf
I was in NZ for 6 years and saw prices in all departments rise to ridiculous levels, so much so we had to leave as our living conditions became far worse than what we left behind in Europe. This happened overtime whilst we were there, so any amount of research could not prepare us for that.
Costs have risen, true, but not massively I don't think but perhaps I'm wrong? Were you living off a UK income because that would have been very hard.
Old Nov 17th 2012, 7:02 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mikesurf
Funny that I've been here 5 years and I think things are getting a bit cheaper
Old Nov 17th 2012, 8:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Caz8NZ
well yes - because that's the culture of the country you're choosing to move to.
I know. But it seem to me that OP didn't figure that in his findings.
Old Nov 17th 2012, 9:07 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

I've not been on for a while and have just sat and read the whole thread. There's a lot of what TLuck has said that makes sense but a few bits that don't. A couple of examples;

Research - I had the same thought process and attitude to moving...research, research, research. However, sat in the UK with no idea what was the norm in NZ, research can only get you so far. Yes, you get an idea of what costs and what doesn't but that's only part of the whole living process, the research you do, tends to be forum related and most of the info that you get given is either totally negative or over the top positive. The regular everyday info is often missing, as the people that 'get on with it' don't use or have time for forums.

One thing I don't agree with is the slating of the 'moaners'. We all seem to forget, these 'moaners' did one thing 95% of people don't or didn't do, they got off their arse and moved halfway round the world to a new life and gave it a go. They tried it and it didn't work out for them and what they sought. Well done and I hope you find what you want, wherever that may be.

Oh and I, for one am happy here, although there's a lot I don't like about the place but then there was a lot I didn't like about the UK. I'm happier here than the UK
This /\
Old Nov 17th 2012, 9:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

I fully accept that all the research on the world won't 'fully' prepare anyone for anything ... But it helps ...

Glad to hear you're happy. That feeling is not abundant on here. Need to see the rough with the smooth a bit more.

Not just the rough.
Old Nov 18th 2012, 12:46 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Just to summarise from my perspective:

Do lots of research
Plan to be flexible in all aspects of you approach
Bring a big bag of perseverance

Remember the military maxim that "no plan survives engagement" and you'll be well prepared, some aspects of your research and planning will work out fine, others partially so, others will be obviously fatally flawed as soon as you land at AKL....accept that that is part of the rollercoaster and you will be as prepared as you can be.

If however you are super-precious about your favourite brand of XYZ and expect to see it available in all stores in UK quantities and prices...then think again.

Old Nov 18th 2012, 1:30 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Just so you all know that you aren't alone

You can't have a hamster in Australia.

Double cream doesn't exist here either.

Thickened cream is also pants here.

I looked at the Tesco grocery website the other day. Prices in last year have gone through the roof. Now on a par with Oz.

None of my research told me about hamsters and cream. Hamsters and cream....hmmm, nope strawberries and cream sounds better.

I have no family back in blighty so no homesickness to speak of. Those with family have NO idea how they will feel before they make the move.
Old Nov 18th 2012, 1:56 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

to be honest from my perspective on day to day living same shit different town
Old Nov 18th 2012, 2:24 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, 100% agree with that. Some of the shit isn't quite so stinky but it's still shit !

We're just about approaching equilibrium in our lives in NZ i.e. it's nearing being as 'good' as it was in Britain which really all I want. I singularly fail to understand what the big deal about New Zealand is and still do. Living here makes no odds to me either.

Last edited by Snap Shot; Nov 18th 2012 at 2:27 am.
Old Nov 18th 2012, 3:53 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sherlock Holmes
Those with family have NO idea how they will feel before they make the move.
Originally Posted by MrsFychan
to be honest from my perspective on day to day living same shit different town
Originally Posted by simonsi
Remember the military maxim that "no plan survives engagement" and you'll be well prepared, some aspects of your research and planning will work out fine, others partially so, others will be obviously fatally flawed as soon as you land at AKL....accept that that is part of the rollercoaster and you will be as prepared as you can be.

If however you are super-precious about your favourite brand of XYZ and expect to see it available in all stores in UK quantities and prices...then think again.
Here's all the advice you need, I think, TommyLuck- none of it is negative, just realistic. It's too easy to read "negative" or sobering posts and think "oh yes, but that won't be my experience cos I'll rent a north-facing home/ only buy in season/ use skype to keep in with family/ enjoy a more frugal lifestyle, etc, etc", but actually you can stung by the same shite as easily as anyone else. In general I think I've been lucky and NZ has treated me well but if I had $100 for every expat tale of woe I've heard in my 7 years of emigrating (including the year prior to the move here as a period of being intensely preoccupied with the move, and so part of the experience) I'd be onto a tidy earner.

Forget all the well laid plans, the best thing you can pack is a willingness to be flexible and an optimistic outlook; those two alone will ensure you make the most of your emigrating experience regardless of where you actually end up in a couple of decades. Enjoy the ride, innit
Old Nov 18th 2012, 4:18 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Tiz yis to the last few posts - innit.

TL wants to go his own way & feels he knows the answers .

Hey. Who are any of us to try and tell him differently.

He will be
1 - OK
2 - Not OK
3 - Somewhere in-between.

C'est la vie.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.