Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

My findings so far; pre-emigration

My findings so far; pre-emigration

Old Nov 14th 2012, 8:39 am
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My findings so far; pre-emigration

Originally Posted by Snap Shot
Don't take the bait, my money is on him not coming. Watch out he could be a troll!
Which would make you a poor gambler.

Originally Posted by Snap Shot
I think 50% of his posts are bullshit. (Though I've no idea which 50%)
What does this even mean?
Old Nov 14th 2012, 8:47 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by TommyLuck
What does this even mean?
It means you are coming across as a bit silly to many and most.

Hey. You go there. It's all up to you.
Old Nov 14th 2012, 9:03 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Clearly a few sore spots have been pressed upon, not my intention but there you go.

I'm just surprised at the simplicity of some of the things that people complain about on moving to another country. One can't just be expected to move somewhere and it be the same as it was before, but better.

This was never meant to be an arguement, now it's turned in to one I'm not going to win, life goes on [instert any other cliche here].

Still, I'll keep posting. Even the response to this thread has taught me a lot, even though only a couple of people have actually bothered to respond with anything sensible - thanks CAZ8NZ.

This place is gold;

There are plenty of people that use this website that could join me and it would have to be just an immigration service, we could branch out into all sorts.
The thing often is, whatever country one moves to, that the new migrant simply sturggles to settle. Life is strange and unusual - often the migrant expects it to be like that - and as a result the migrant will question how things are done, and will appear to complain simply because things are "different". Truth is though that this is just human nature! Its natural to compare new things to those which are familiar - doesn't alweays mean that the migrant dislikes the new things, just that they are different!
Commenting on them shows that people have realised things aren't the same - only time will tell whether people accept their new surroundings or not, but in the meantime healthy discussion helps to explore WHY things are different, and how to adapt and deal with them.

And remember - until you have walked in someone's shoes, you can't know what motivates them, and why they are reacting the way they are. Migrating yourself is a good start, then you might actually start to understand the need to reach out to familiarity, and the reasons for complaining about the new and the strange.
Old Nov 14th 2012, 12:16 pm
Forum Regular

JaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent post! well said Pollyana.
Old Nov 14th 2012, 1:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

The thing is, I haven't sought to compare anything as I have no point of comparison, I'm well aware fo this.

I just miffed as to why so many cons about migrating to anywhere, not just NZ, relate to points that could, perhaps should have been prepared for with decent research.

Emigrating is clearly a tough task, no matter how much you want to do it.

My point being, that (on a small, simplistic scale) if you turn up somewhere knowing the price of a pepper/capsicum is going to be much more than you would pay at 'home', it'll prepare you better for getting on with life in your new 'home', rather than spending 6 months getting used to the idea WHILST trying to get on with life in your new home.

Even if I copped a load of abuse for it, at least I sparked a debate that has answered a couple of my questions, rather than asking meekly;

If you had your time again, how would you have prepared for your move?
Old Nov 14th 2012, 1:55 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

The thing is, I haven't sought to compare anything as I have no point of comparison, I'm well aware fo this.

I just miffed as to why so many cons about migrating to anywhere, not just NZ, relate to points that could, perhaps should have been prepared for with decent research.

Emigrating is clearly a tough task, no matter how much you want to do it.

My point being, that (on a small, simplistic scale) if you turn up somewhere knowing the price of a pepper/capsicum is going to be much more than you would pay at 'home', it'll prepare you better for getting on with life in your new 'home', rather than spending 6 months getting used to the idea WHILST trying to get on with life in your new home.

Even if I copped a load of abuse for it, at least I sparked a debate that has answered a couple of my questions, rather than asking meekly;

Trust me you can research all you like, but nothing will prepare you for that moment you suddenly realise that you are a stranger in a strange land.

Been there, seen that. done that. Three years or so of research and preparation, I thought I knew most stuff about day to day life in Australia. But when I got here I found that reading and browsing and talking to people and even visiting the place is totally different from actuyally having to live somewhere and survive, day after day after day.
Old Nov 14th 2012, 2:47 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
Oh. My. Word.

There's nothing so galling than a know-it-all who's yet to arrive. Should life not work out in perfect accord with your well researched plan, I shall be right here to remind you that you "have no sympathy with people who whinge about these things" and that I'll be sure to treat you with the same empathy as you're showing others.

I think you should change your username from TommyLuck to TommyKnowsItAll.
Agreed, except about the name thing.

My 2 cents: it's one thing to know these things through research. It's still hypothetical for TommyL at this point as he lives in his own culture surrounded by things he's used to. It's quite another to LIVE with the implications of these things in day to day life and be brought face to face with them over and over again while surrounded by a foreign culture. There is an emotional element to living in a different country that no amount of research can prepare you for.

In fact, judging by some posts I've read over the years, being 'well researched' can give you (general you) a false sense of security that you're prepared for all the change, when in fact you aren't. I've read a few posts over the years from expats who researched up the wazoo and thought they were ready but when they actually lived in their new country, found they still couldn't adapt. IMO it's ultimately about adaptability not research and you don't always know how adaptable you are, or how much you are willing to adapt, until you actually try it. I don't think there's anything wrong with people admitting they don't want to give up aspects of their old culture/adapt and wanting to move home. There's also nothing wrong with admitting there's aspects of NZ that well, suck, and for some people, that's just not worth staying there for.

Last edited by ExKiwilass; Nov 14th 2012 at 3:20 pm.
Old Nov 14th 2012, 5:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass
Agreed, except about the name thing.

My 2 cents: it's one thing to know these things through research. It's still hypothetical for TommyL at this point as he lives in his own culture surrounded by things he's used to. It's quite another to LIVE with the implications of these things in day to day life and be brought face to face with them over and over again while surrounded by a foreign culture. There is an emotional element to living in a different country that no amount of research can prepare you for.

In fact, judging by some posts I've read over the years, being 'well researched' can give you (general you) a false sense of security that you're prepared for all the change, when in fact you aren't. I've read a few posts over the years from expats who researched up the wazoo and thought they were ready but when they actually lived in their new country, found they still couldn't adapt. IMO it's ultimately about adaptability not research and you don't always know how adaptable you are, or how much you are willing to adapt, until you actually try it.

I don't think there's anything wrong with people admitting they don't want to give up aspects of their old culture/adapt and wanting to move home. There's also nothing wrong with admitting there's aspects of NZ that well, suck, and for some people, that's just not worth staying there for.
Yay!!

A reasoned response.

I 100% agree with the bold bit and I've said as much to people on here who have express their reasons for trying, not liking, moving away -whether back home or somewhere else.

Adaptablility; You're right, we can all adapt to a degree, but this will be the mother of all adaptions I've had to conquer in my life. But then I like a challange. Presumably we're all similar in that respect, no-one moves continent without the fight for a challenge.

However, surely being well researched is better than being short of research? No? I see your point about research perhaps leading to false sense of security, but there is a obvious risk factor with emigrating which has to be considered and balanced out when planning for your new life.

I realise this is getting OT now ...
Old Nov 14th 2012, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

pom4gud is a glorious beacon of lightpom4gud is a glorious beacon of lightpom4gud is a glorious beacon of lightpom4gud is a glorious beacon of lightpom4gud is a glorious beacon of lightpom4gud is a glorious beacon of lightpom4gud is a glorious beacon of lightpom4gud is a glorious beacon of lightpom4gud is a glorious beacon of lightpom4gud is a glorious beacon of lightpom4gud is a glorious beacon of light

Well just a little help with your research then,

There's a kiwi phrase my husband uses "wind your neck in mate" which roughly translates as "no one likes a smart ar**e".
Old Nov 14th 2012, 8:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond repute

I'd have not wasted 9 years after graduating, trying to attain the basic standard of living afforded to my parents generation. I would have moved here sooner and not wasted my 20's.
Old Nov 14th 2012, 8:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pom4gud
Well just a little help with your research then,

There's a kiwi phrase my husband uses "wind your neck in mate" which roughly translates as "no one likes a smart ar**e".
Better get used to this kind of attitude when moving to NZ!
Old Nov 14th 2012, 8:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Caz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Assanah
well yes - because that's the culture of the country you're choosing to move to.
Old Nov 14th 2012, 8:47 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Assanah
Point proven re post #9.
Old Nov 14th 2012, 8:49 pm

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

Unlike Germany, Assanah's country of continual comparison, were obviously, everyone loves a smart arse.
Old Nov 14th 2012, 9:57 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

For me you've missed the human element from your plans. You can research all you like but you can't predict how you are going to feel when you arrive in a new land for good.

You might think you are prepared but the reality may be very different. We all come to NZ (& to this site) with our individual hopes, plans & baggage, which will affect our experiences of life here. Everyone's point of view is valid & frankly if I want to whinge on about the fact that I can't get double cream in NZ, I will. It doesn't affect my life on a daily basis but it's had a huge negative impact on my baking! Is that important to me? Yes it is

Some things I researched about NZ & they sounded absolutely wonderful, the reality was somewhat different & has had a huge impact on my life.

I hope it works out for you in NZ Tommyluck, even though you seem to think those of us who are here don't know what we are on about.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.