Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

My bird flu / insurance whinge

My bird flu / insurance whinge

Old Apr 22nd 2013, 11:38 am
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute
Default My bird flu / insurance whinge

oh and hello everyone, just before I get going...

So I'm finally going home for a holiday after 8 years.
Thought we'd stop in Shanghai for 2 nights on the way.

Booked Tickets
Got insurance
Then
People start getting bird flu and i think "worse things come to the worst, we'll have to change our plans"

Then I look at my insurance policy
No cover for pandemic influenza

Now people can say, I should have checked but honestly, I would never have checked for it. I just got it with the gold card

So now, I am praying to the old gods and the new, that this thing stays contained for the sake of the people of China and the sake of me and my bank balance.

Other plan is to wear heavy duty masks (idea of that on a plane is terrible) and then quick dash to friends appartment and hole up for 2 days

Some mutated flus have a 60% mortality rate...un friggin believable

Rant over, thanks for reading
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 12:15 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My bird flu / insurance whinge

Originally Posted by pricklykina
oh and hello everyone, just before I get going...

So I'm finally going home for a holiday after 8 years.
Thought we'd stop in Shanghai for 2 nights on the way.

Booked Tickets
Got insurance
Then
People start getting bird flu and i think "worse things come to the worst, we'll have to change our plans"

Then I look at my insurance policy
No cover for pandemic influenza

Now people can say, I should have checked but honestly, I would never have checked for it. I just got it with the gold card

So now, I am praying to the old gods and the new, that this thing stays contained for the sake of the people of China and the sake of me and my bank balance.

Other plan is to wear heavy duty masks (idea of that on a plane is terrible) and then quick dash to friends appartment and hole up for 2 days

Some mutated flus have a 60% mortality rate...un friggin believable

Rant over, thanks for reading
Keep it in perspective. You have more chance of contracting "normal"flu and dying from that at present than from the strain currently circulating. WHO only has 102 cases notified so far, and 20 deaths.
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 7:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My bird flu / insurance whinge

Agree that its so important not to get spooked.
I was saying the other day that 20 people dying in Shanghai is like less than one person dying in the whole of NZ.
Still, it's the insurance thing that bugs me