Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Mums and Dads - are UK baby car seats compatible with NZ cars?

Mums and Dads - are UK baby car seats compatible with NZ cars?

Old Feb 26th 2013, 7:02 pm
Just Joined

RachelV is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mums and Dads - are UK baby car seats compatible with NZ cars?

Hi

We are moving to Auckland in 2 months time, so we're about to start shipping our belongings out there now. We have 3 kids under 3.5 years old. We will be buying a car when we arrive, although haven't decided on a make and model yet. We currently have a maxi cosi with isofix base for our 9 week old, and 2 britax car seats for our 2 year old and 3 year old. One uses an isofix locking system, and the other is just secured by the adult seatbelt. The 3 year old is almost ready to move up a car seat style, as getting a bit too big for the 5 point harness style.

Are these car seats compatible with NZ cars and seatbelts? Shall I ship them out with our belongings or sell them here, and buy new car seats in NZ?

Anyone know? The reason I ask is I seem to remember the car seats in the rear of our hire car when we did a recce trip last year were different to UK style ones.

Many thanks

Rachel
Old Feb 26th 2013, 7:38 pm
NZ wannabe

Synky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to all
Default Re: Mums and Dads - are UK baby car seats compatible with NZ cars?

With 3 under 5yrs I feel your pain! Sorry I don't know about the car seats but I'll be interested to know. Good luck with the move.
Old Feb 26th 2013, 8:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

GoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RachelV
Hi

We are moving to Auckland in 2 months time, so we're about to start shipping our belongings out there now. We have 3 kids under 3.5 years old. We will be buying a car when we arrive, although haven't decided on a make and model yet. We currently have a maxi cosi with isofix base for our 9 week old, and 2 britax car seats for our 2 year old and 3 year old. One uses an isofix locking system, and the other is just secured by the adult seatbelt. The 3 year old is almost ready to move up a car seat style, as getting a bit too big for the 5 point harness style.

Are these car seats compatible with NZ cars and seatbelts? Shall I ship them out with our belongings or sell them here, and buy new car seats in NZ?

Anyone know? The reason I ask is I seem to remember the car seats in the rear of our hire car when we did a recce trip last year were different to UK style ones.

Many thanks

Rachel
They almost certainly will be compatible with most cars over here so you should ship to save money on buying ones here. Most cars here are of Japanese origin and are the same models as the ones in the UK (albeit rebadged). Rules over car seats are no more strict - in fact, probably more relaxed, so I would guess that they would not violate any safety rules (although you would have to check).
Old Feb 26th 2013, 9:01 pm
Just Joined

RachelV is an unknown quantity at this point

Many thanks - I just didn't know if NZ cars had the isofix points in the car, and I seem to remember car seats were "top tethered" which I didn't know if you could do with UK car seats...
Old Feb 26th 2013, 9:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

GoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks - I just didn't know if NZ cars had the isofix points in the car, and I seem to remember car seats were "top tethered" which I didn't know if you could do with UK car seats...
My point is that there is no such thing as NZ cars, they are the same models as UK/Japanese car models.
So, I can't be definitive without checking but I find it highly unlikely that the Japenese cars in the UK aren't capable of isofix. Given they would have the isofix points in the UK, they would also have them here as they are the same models.

After a quick look - this is indeed the case. A quick list:
Makes & Models of cars you might find fr around $8,000 that should have the ISO-Fix/LATCH system installed include:
- Honda Fit/Jazz,
- Mazda Demio, 6/626
- Toyota Echo/Vitz, Raum, Corolla

See also:
http://www.childrestraints.co.nz/isofix-latch.php

And click on Safety here:
http://www.toyota.co.nz/NewVehicles/...c/Interior.htm

etc

Last edited by GoingIn2011; Feb 26th 2013 at 9:31 pm.
Old Feb 26th 2013, 9:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

I have taken 3 separate car seats from the UK to NZ all have been fine.
Old Feb 26th 2013, 11:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

dannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond repute

I think you would be fine, however, it may decide which car you have having to fit three carseats in! Just be careful with the Isofix - we have a 1997 Subaru Forester and it will not take Isofix. We had a Gracco infant carseat (for baby in UK) and it had a click in seat (like Isofix) but it was a leg thingee that the carseat clicked into. You are right, lots of carseats are tethered here. Our two kids were on the verge of both moving up to the next size of carseat so we just bought a booster seat for our four hear old here and we have hired a rear facing carseat for our one year old. I sourced them online (paid over the phone easily). You can also hire carseats very easily here too.

We got ours from this store. They were brilliant and will fit carseats no problems. One thing that is great here is you seem to be able to get rear facing carseats, seemed to be fairly standard at this shop.

http://www.babyonthemove.co.nz/index...egion=Auckland
Old Feb 27th 2013, 12:05 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Mums and Dads - are UK baby car seats compatible with NZ cars?

Hmmm...don't know if they'll work upside down without a gravity converter.

Seriously though as the others said, same models of car here as Europe.
Old Feb 27th 2013, 6:50 am
BE Enthusiast

dannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond repute

And no point having an Isofix carseat if your car doesn't work with Isofix. It is quite a big deal as I'm sure the OP wouldn't want to drive without a proper carseat for her child (unless it can go in manually too)
Old Feb 27th 2013, 7:17 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Some do, some don't. As an example our 2000 Estima doesn't have isofix points but our 2002 does. Boath are Japanese market-only models so isofix is a global standard, the only important thing is whether the car has it, and intro age seems to be around 2001/2 which is the same as Europe first saw them I think.
Old Feb 27th 2013, 7:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by simonsi
Some do, some don't. As an example our 2000 Estima doesn't have isofix points but our 2002 does. Boath are Japanese market-only models so isofix is a global standard, the only important thing is whether the car has it, and intro age seems to be around 2001/2 which is the same as Europe first saw them I think.
I guess that's one of them in your avatar. I just noticed underneath where you're living now - that's a bit of a change...?
Old Feb 27th 2013, 7:33 am
Forum Regular

RachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to all

If as everyone says, standards are same as UK then ALL cars from 2007 onwards will have Isofix as standard. Many car companies introduced them before then though. Fingers crossed you find something x
Old Feb 27th 2013, 7:38 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GoingIn2011
I guess that's one of them in your avatar. I just noticed underneath where you're living now - that's a bit of a change...?
Yep thats the 2002. We moved 25mins closer to schools, work and the girl's social lives...still have the Whangaparaoa house but have rented it out and renting in Coatsville....
Old Feb 27th 2013, 4:20 pm
If u see Sid, tell 'im...

Location: Ex of Hucknall and Mansfield, Notts and now in Manly, Whangaparaoa, just North of Auckland!
sirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Many thanks

Rachel
If a car doesn't have Isofix, the conversion kit can (generally) be fitted. We fitted one to our courtesy car, at work, without too much hassle
Old Feb 28th 2013, 2:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sirplug
If a car doesn't have Isofix, the conversion kit can (generally) be fitted. We fitted one to our courtesy car, at work, without too much hassle
loving the username!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.