British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Mums with bubs? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/mums-bubs-417522/)

Littletoe Jan 8th 2007 9:17 am

Mums with bubs?

Hello

Just a quickie. Last time I was in NZ, I was bottle feeding number 1, so I didn't notice. But as I'm breastfeeding number two, just wondered if anyone knew what the situation was with BFding in public? Same as UK? (meaning I'll be banished to the car on days out), or is it fairly lax?

Thanks!

Nikki

sky Jan 8th 2007 9:22 am

Re: Mums with bubs?

Originally Posted by Littletoe (Post 4259407)
Hello

Just a quickie. Last time I was in NZ, I was bottle feeding number 1, so I didn't notice. But as I'm breastfeeding number two, just wondered if anyone knew what the situation was with BFding in public? Same as UK? (meaning I'll be banished to the car on days out), or is it fairly lax?

Thanks!

Nikki

Just you go for it, it's a very natural thing to do and I always find it lovely to see mums being open about it. I breast fed my kids and loved every second of it. I think NZ are more open to it cos I've seen mums feeding their babes in the malls :)

Littletoe Jan 8th 2007 10:30 am

Originally Posted by sky (Post 4259413)
Just you go for it, it's a very natural thing to do and I always find it lovely to see mums being open about it. I breast fed my kids and loved every second of it. I think NZ are more open to it cos I've seen mums feeding their babes in the malls :)

NZ certainly seems more parent friendly, their facilities in malls are second to none. I'm pretty discreet when I'm feeding my daughter, but there's always some sharp eyed bugger that notices if I have to feed in public. It'd be nice not to panic while I' m out,or end with a cold dinner in restaurant!

Thanks Sky

cottageinthesky Jan 8th 2007 5:44 pm

Hello

Thanks!

Nikki

No problem - the other day, I had coffee in a cafe with a business acquaintance while she breastfed.

jueinnz Jan 8th 2007 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by cottageinthesky (Post 4260781)
No problem - the other day, I had coffee in a cafe with a business acquaintance while she breastfed.

Yes its true, although many feeding facilities are supplied in our malls, people still to sit and do it in the middle of the foods court or just in the middle of the mall/ shop that they happen to be in!!
Yes I know its natural and nothing wrong with it, but from the view of a childless 30 something, it really puts me off my lunch!

SarahB Jan 8th 2007 6:08 pm

Its pretty lax dont worry. Not sure what facilities you get in shops etc as I bottle feed but for the slightly older toddlers theres quite often a corner set aside in the shops with toys for them to play with. Things are definately more geared up for kiddies here than in UK.:)

Apple12 Jan 8th 2007 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by jueinnz (Post 4260807)
Yes its true, although many feeding facilities are supplied in our malls, people still to sit and do it in the middle of the foods court or just in the middle of the mall/ shop that they happen to be in!!
Yes I know its natural and nothing wrong with it, but from the view of a childless 30 something, it really puts me off my lunch!

You are not forced to sit and watch!

Mandie Jan 8th 2007 6:56 pm

Hello

Thanks!

Nikki

when i was in NZ i saw many women bf in public...what a wonderful, Fantastic site to see...why should you be banished to the loo to feed you little one or in some scanky smelly room like in some places i've seen.

I wouldn't want to eat my lunch in these places so why should our babies.

Good for you...be proud!!!
take care of you and yours
Mandie :D

Maz Jan 8th 2007 7:01 pm

If I see a fellow mum BFing in public, and catch her eye, I give her one of those knowing, approving smiles. They always appreciate that. :)

A friend of mine in the US nursed her two for extended times, like... up to age 3 1/2, which is considered extremely long in the western world, but 4 1/2 is considered 'normal' in some of the more developing parts of the world. Her kids weren't latched on after about 2 years, but they still got her milk until it started to dry up naturally. She was often told she should go to the toilets to nurse! :mad: :scared: She wisely answered "would you eat your lunch in the toilet?" but she also usually just snagged a fitting room in a department store, so she and her wee ones would have more privacy. The attitude of some people is exceedingly annoying when it comes to a child getting the best for them.

Mandie Jan 8th 2007 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by SarahB (Post 4260831)
Its pretty lax dont worry. Not sure what facilities you get in shops etc as I bottle feed but for the slightly older toddlers theres quite often a corner set aside in the shops with toys for them to play with. Things are definately more geared up for kiddies here than in UK.:)

And how cute is it when the toddlers ask for 'frothies' and get their own cup and saucer with a chocolate fish on the side!!! :D

Maz Jan 8th 2007 7:03 pm

Um... sorry if that seemed like a bit of a rant. :o I'll get off my soapbox now. That's one of my hot-button topics. :)

jueinnz Jan 8th 2007 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by Apple12 (Post 4260976)
You are not forced to sit and watch!

No and my responce is to walk off!!!

I once interviewed somebody for a job, she brought her baby with her which is fair enough...but then proceeded to breast feed the baby through out the interview????

Maz Jan 8th 2007 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by jueinnz (Post 4261029)
No and my responce is to walk off!!!

I once interviewed somebody for a job, she brought her baby with her which is fair enough...but then proceeded to breast feed the baby through out the interview????

Um... no, for anyone to eat during an interview is not a good thing. But nursing a child is still best for the child. Bad decision on the mother's part. Did she get the job? :D :D :D

Mandie Jan 8th 2007 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by jueinnz (Post 4260807)

As a mother of two, both breastfed, there is nothing more satisfying than to watch your baby suckle at the breast, to hear them gulp down the milk that you've produced is just magical...then to see their 'milk-drunk' little faces afterwards is just soooo cute. Granted it sometimes is not the easiest to master but when you've got it sorted it's the best feeling in the world.

I too like to give a positive 'go for it girl' grin :D when i see women feed their babies in public!!!

Mandie :)

Maz Jan 8th 2007 7:18 pm

Karma for you, Mandie. :)

Not to mention how beneficial nursing is to the mother, too. It helps protect against breast cancer, uterine cancer, and helps shrink the uterus back down after childbirth. :)