Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

MP wants to outlaw cold, damp rentals

MP wants to outlaw cold, damp rentals

Old Jul 23rd 2010, 10:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute
Default MP wants to outlaw cold, damp rentals

Green MP Gareth Hughes says too many New Zealanders live in cold, damp rental homes and has a member's bill to legislate against such homes and is touring the country to promote The 'Warm Healthy Rental Bill' - aimed to ensure rental homes met basic standards for warmth and insulation by 2018.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/poli...d-damp-rentals

The article gives rise to the typical barrage of abuse and 'harden up' responses to anyone who dares to complain of the cold. This one made me laugh - maybe it is your landlord.

When did this idea that homes need to be warm come about? It's ridiculous. There are obviously some people who's circumstances make a warm home a requirement for health reasons, but your average healthy person can cope just fine living in a cold house with the aid of clothes.

I lived for three years in a christchurch flat which we did not heat at all. We had a logburner, but we never saw the need to use it since clothes, blankets, or a bit of good old exercise kept us warm for much less cost. It's really not that bad, and our health certainly didn't seem to suffer one bit -- if anything, we seemed to get less colds etc. than our peers.

Again, I'm not saying there aren't cases where warm homes are needed, but most people could just do with hardening up.
Old Jul 24th 2010, 8:45 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: MP wants to outlaw cold, damp rentals

Hope it gets through parliament! Doesn't affect me as we own our house but I feel minimum standards of insulation and heating should be in place for rental properties. Especially insulation.

Loving that comment, harden up all of you who think heating is an essential. Let's face it all we really need are clothes and a treadmill... None of this sitting around feeling cold, do some exercise
Old Jul 24th 2010, 10:36 am

Woodpigeon is an unknown quantity at this point

I wish him good luck with that in Otago Uni's student 'ghetto' in Dunedin. I think there are a few students who would rebel, don't they see the whole damp, cold, gross flat experience as one of the reasons for studying there??
Old Jul 24th 2010, 1:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Woodpigeon
I wish him good luck with that in Otago Uni's student 'ghetto' in Dunedin. I think there are a few students who would rebel, don't they see the whole damp, cold, gross flat experience as one of the reasons for studying there??
You're right, it seems to be a right of passage that will ensure they keep up the 'harden up' mantra for the rest of their days. Is it any wonder that setting fire to sofas in the streets became a popular sport.
Old Jul 25th 2010, 4:09 am
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold

As I've said before there's a great deal of denial about many things here and one of the biggest is the fact that it is freezing in many of the houses. Rentals are especially bad and landlords don't see the need to provide any form of heating. I can't understand why the houses were not built property from the start. Years ago they were building in double brick in Western Australia and they have a Mediterranean climate!
Old Jul 25th 2010, 7:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Builders will have a field day as such a bill would take out half the current housing stock
Old Aug 1st 2010, 12:28 am
Wanderer

Location: Australia, Scotland, NZ, China, Spain, Scotland again wha hae!
saoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to behold

writing from a cold, damp ChCh rental right now...fortunately it is only a temp thing until we get something else sorted out and at least we now know EXACTLY what to look for in our longer term rental!! (and now i understand why all the rental ads carry on about places having a HEATPUMP!!)