Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Moving to Welly - advice please.

Moving to Welly - advice please.

Old Jun 29th 2012, 7:32 am
Forum Regular

Teresa Green is just really niceTeresa Green is just really niceTeresa Green is just really niceTeresa Green is just really niceTeresa Green is just really niceTeresa Green is just really niceTeresa Green is just really niceTeresa Green is just really niceTeresa Green is just really niceTeresa Green is just really nice
Default Re: Moving to Welly - advice please.

Hi

I live up on the kapiti coast, it is a 50 min commute to Welly on the train but i prefer it as it is warmer and less windy. We also have a great beach and good shops so don't tend to go into welly at the weekend unless there is a special reason. if you don't mind the commute it is a great place to live.
Old Jun 29th 2012, 8:01 am
BE Enthusiast

babybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Browner_
That gives it away that you have no idea. How long have you been here, 2 weeks?
If you read his post he said he had been here since March, not two weeks.
Kaz
Old Jun 29th 2012, 8:16 am
BE Enthusiast

babybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by melamb
I have been looking at furnished houses as I dont think it will do much for my stress levels arriving in welly and having to rent somewhere with no creature comforts until our things arrive , not sure my 7 year old will be impressed either. Any help is appreciated so many thanks and look forward to receiving more!!!!
Hi Mel,
Sorry to say but your stress levels will prob hit the roof. Moving internationally is one of the most stressful things you will ever do. It takes about 10-12 weeks for your stuff to arrive at your home so maybe packing in your luggage your child's favourite duvet covert ( buy a new cheap duvet here) would make him feel more at home and of course favourite toys. We brought the playstation in our hand luggage and glad we did. The boys loved having it, we used it to play DVD's and music.
We also live up the coast in Kapiti and love it. We have also lived in Aro Street, Petone and Woburn. I love living up the coast but if you are working in Wellington and need to use after school care it may be too far for you.
Kaz
Old Jun 29th 2012, 9:57 am
Just Joined

melamb is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by babybella
Hi Mel,
Sorry to say but your stress levels will prob hit the roof. Moving internationally is one of the most stressful things you will ever do. It takes about 10-12 weeks for your stuff to arrive at your home so maybe packing in your luggage your child's favourite duvet covert ( buy a new cheap duvet here) would make him feel more at home and of course favourite toys. We brought the playstation in our hand luggage and glad we did. The boys loved having it, we used it to play DVD's and music.
We also live up the coast in Kapiti and love it. We have also lived in Aro Street, Petone and Woburn. I love living up the coast but if you are working in Wellington and need to use after school care it may be too far for you.
Kaz
Hi Thanks Kaz good idea about the duvet and play station. I have heard a few talk about the kapiti coast and how nice it is, but like you say I think the commuting time would perhpas pose a little problem re fitting in with aftercare Mel
Old Jun 29th 2012, 11:13 am
Just Joined

cyb_ed is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi! I'm not an Ex Pat but teach at a Kapiti Coast school. My son commutes to Wellington by train daily -doesn't seem to mind doing it. Kapiti has a more relaxed feel to it than Wellington, but is close enough to have access to al the amenities. House prices here in Kapiti are much lower than in Wellington too. We have had a few English families arriving at the school - one child in my class became a NZ citizen yesterday at the special ceremony in Wellington. Our DP is English as is our syndicate leader. So if you want to know about NZ school system I would be happy to comment. NZ schools have great reputation as shown in successive the independent international PISA studies, and have world class universities too http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10816424. For information about schools look at the Education Review Office reports (ERO) available online.