Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Moving to Wellington in Feb

Moving to Wellington in Feb

Old Nov 25th 2007, 12:54 pm
Just Joined

Trisnik has a spectacular aura aboutTrisnik has a spectacular aura aboutTrisnik has a spectacular aura about
Default Moving to Wellington in Feb

Hi everyone, just after a bit of advice really. We'll be moving to Wellington in February for a couple of years. Tris has a job in Petone and I'll be looking for one when we get there - probably in either the charity or government sectors. Any advice on good places to live or the best way to go about finding accommodation - we've read that sorting it out online before we get there can be more expensive and we don't want to do that then be stuck in an area that although may look good on a map isn't ideal for us.
We're kind of thinking about staying in a hostel for a couple of weeks while we suss out the city then start looking, but any advice on areas to avoid or go for would be much appreciated. We'll be looking at a low budget place as we want to save money too!

Cheers,

Nic
Old Nov 25th 2007, 4:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

jennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Wellington in Feb

Originally Posted by Trisnik
Hi everyone, just after a bit of advice really. We'll be moving to Wellington in February for a couple of years. Tris has a job in Petone and I'll be looking for one when we get there - probably in either the charity or government sectors. Any advice on good places to live or the best way to go about finding accommodation - we've read that sorting it out online before we get there can be more expensive and we don't want to do that then be stuck in an area that although may look good on a map isn't ideal for us.
We're kind of thinking about staying in a hostel for a couple of weeks while we suss out the city then start looking, but any advice on areas to avoid or go for would be much appreciated. We'll be looking at a low budget place as we want to save money too!

Cheers,

Nic
Hi Nic,
Petone is a good place to start.
It's been growing in popularity for a couple of years now.
Great transport links- everyday shopping- cool cinema and lots of quirky outlets found only in NZ. Good cafes/restaurants- easy access to Wellington Central for nightlife.
Good value for money rentals- but beware the 'Quaint cosy little Villas' Feb is still summer and when it gets to June thesde can be anything but cosy when the wind howls down the Hutt Valley.
Nice block of high spec apartments built corner of Jackson Street and Cuba street. Finished last year. But I'd tend to go look at property on the North side of Jackson Street (There were some decent apartments/ houses for rent around Buick Street and Britannia Street) Try and avoid the lo-o-o-ong straight roads with no obstructions- Magnet for 'Boy Racers' at night! Not just Petone. Anywhere in NZ!
If you don't fancy Petone- parts of North Woburn on the way to Lower Hutt are pleasant but tend to be large detached houses within large mature gardens.Look along Woburn Road near the Hutt Valley Cricket club and Hutt Valley High School. Fabulous leisure /swimming complex at Huia - again good transport links with Wellington CBD and 'The Hutt' (not Jabba!)
Hope this helps
Jennie
Old Nov 25th 2007, 6:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Trisnik

Cheers,

Nic
I would book into a hotel/motel/holiday rental for a week or two when you arrive and make arrangements to see a few rentals in different area's from the UK for your inspection once here. Have a look at www.trademe.co.nz, www.villarentals.co.nz for starters.
Old Nov 26th 2007, 4:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simonmarkellis
I would book into a hotel/motel/holiday rental for a week or two when you arrive and make arrangements to see a few rentals in different area's from the UK for your inspection once here. Have a look at www.trademe.co.nz, www.villarentals.co.nz for starters.
I've got to agree with Simon. You need to get a feel for an area.
Hubby's best mate lives in Petone - had his car nicked twice in the last 2 months - ouch!
Old Nov 26th 2007, 5:20 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boopy
Hubby's best mate lives in Petone - had his car nicked twice in the last 2 months - ouch!
Bloody hell!

Actually if you're mobile, there's nothing to stop you living out in the Porirua area. There's a really quick road that connects Whitby and the Hutt Valley, route 58. Rather a lovely drive too.
Old Nov 26th 2007, 7:52 am
Just Joined

Trisnik has a spectacular aura aboutTrisnik has a spectacular aura aboutTrisnik has a spectacular aura about

Thanks guys for all your help - it's good to know there are 'poms' out there who can advise on this stuff. - How on earth did people emigrate before the internet?!?
We'll probably go for a motel type thing in the Petone area at first (as we arrive about a day before Tris starts his new job) and go from there.
Thanks again,
Nik
Old Nov 26th 2007, 9:04 am
Forum Regular

rockape is just really nicerockape is just really nicerockape is just really nicerockape is just really nicerockape is just really nicerockape is just really nicerockape is just really nicerockape is just really nicerockape is just really nicerockape is just really nicerockape is just really nice

Hi Trisnik,
I can recomend a motor Lodge for you to stay at in Potone, as when I stayed there they bent over backwards to help me when I first got there.

It's called Foreshore Motor Lodge, and is at Cnr of Esplanade& Nelson, and all the shops are only a 5 minute walk from there.
I hope this helps you.

Regards

Stan

Old Nov 26th 2007, 12:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

jennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boopy
Happens everywhere I guess. You have to thank your 'Guardians' for putting an end to the 'Mongel Mob' that ruled Porirua a few years ago.
Bit like our Community Support Officers" but they don't pretend to be 'bobbies' by dressing in near identical uniform. Seems they do a good job and are representative of all ages, genders, cultures and creeds.
Every suburb should have them.
Car crime is on the increase everywhere.
Best to have a really good, reliable, sound, fast car that 'looks' like an old banger!