Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Moving to Wellington Feb 2008

Moving to Wellington Feb 2008

Old Dec 4th 2007, 1:06 pm
Forum Regular

in_denial is just really nicein_denial is just really nicein_denial is just really nicein_denial is just really nicein_denial is just really nicein_denial is just really nicein_denial is just really nicein_denial is just really nicein_denial is just really nicein_denial is just really nicein_denial is just really nice
Default Moving to Wellington Feb 2008

Hi all,

I’ve just accepted a job offer in Wellington to start mid-Feb ’08. It’s with an accredited employer so it seems I’ll be applying for a “Talent visa”.

Just been reading up on various things and came across this forum a couple of days ago - it seems a great resource
So I guess I’ll be asking a few questions in the next few weeks too.

My wife and I are both looking forward to the challenge (and change) but are also daunted by the amount of stuff we need to sort out before we go; We're hoping to rent our house in the UK(Herts) initially while we “settle-in” to Kiwi life – it gives us the option to return if it all goes sour .

We are looking to rent somewhere within commuting distance of Wellington CBD as that is were I'll be based. We have 3 children – 2 girls, 8 and 6 and a little boy, 16 months, so we’ll obviously need to arrange schooling and all that stuff too. - just thinking about it all makes my head spin.

Oh well, I won’t waste my “credits” boring you all to death (just yet!)

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Old Dec 4th 2007, 2:39 pm
Forum Regular

JaneAS is a jewel in the roughJaneAS is a jewel in the roughJaneAS is a jewel in the roughJaneAS is a jewel in the roughJaneAS is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Moving to Wellington Feb 2008

Hi InDenial!
We are moving to Wellington in January, hopefully on a talent visa too. We just have the one child (almost 8) so schooling is also on our list of things to look at.

I don't know if you have submitted your visa application yet? The turnaround is 10 days to 2 weeks at present (if no complications), according to the London office. I have my fingers crossed that mine comes back at the weekend....

Regards,
Jane
Old Dec 4th 2007, 6:19 pm
Forum Regular

stasia is a name known to allstasia is a name known to allstasia is a name known to allstasia is a name known to allstasia is a name known to allstasia is a name known to allstasia is a name known to allstasia is a name known to allstasia is a name known to allstasia is a name known to allstasia is a name known to all

hi there we're going through the same as you at the mo, going out early feb 2 boys 4 an 2 hubby working got a job with telecom. so just to say good luck and we'll see you in welly!!
Old Dec 4th 2007, 7:28 pm
Forum Regular

in_denial is just really nicein_denial is just really nicein_denial is just really nicein_denial is just really nicein_denial is just really nicein_denial is just really nicein_denial is just really nicein_denial is just really nicein_denial is just really nicein_denial is just really nicein_denial is just really nice

Thanks - good to know that we are not the only ones going through this
Old Dec 4th 2007, 8:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by in_denial
Thanks - good to know that we are not the only ones going through this
And there's plenty of us here who've been through it!!

(Basking in 20 degrees Wellington Sun )
Old Dec 4th 2007, 9:05 pm
Forum Regular

Here comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really nice

My sister lives in Pukerua bay with her 2 kids, it has a lovely school plimmerton and paraparaumu are also nice but 30-40 mins commute to welly. She is a registered child minder so if anyone needs advice on childcare in that area feel free to PM me!

We will be moving to plimmerton/pukerua bay in July I cant wait!!
Old Dec 5th 2007, 7:52 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Hi all,

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

No . Waste 'em. That's what the place is all about and it'll keep the Welly lot busy . It won't be boring to any of us. Trust me on that. We'll all know where you are coming from.

Welcome to this little forum and Happy Posting.
Old Dec 5th 2007, 8:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really nice

Hi all,

We are looking to rent somewhere within commuting distance of Wellington CBD as that is were I'll be based. We have 3 children – 2 girls, 8 and 6 and a little boy, 16 months, so we’ll obviously need to arrange schooling and all that stuff too. - just thinking about it all makes my head spin.

Just keep asking the questions!! We live just outside Porirua (20-25mins north of Wellington) and have 3 boys (9, 7 and 3 years). There are lots of us on the forum, in this area, that have kids around the same ages as yours so ask away!! As far as schooling goes, have a look on www.ero.govt.nz/ero and www.schoolzones.co.nz. The train timetables are on www.tranzmetro.co.nz.
Happy hunting!!
Old Dec 5th 2007, 10:52 pm
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

I’ve just accepted a job offer in Wellington to start mid-Feb ’08. It’s with an accredited employer so it seems I’ll be applying for a “Talent visa”.

Just been reading up on various things and came across this forum a couple of days ago - it seems a great resource

My wife and I are both looking forward to the challenge (and change) but are also daunted by the amount of stuff we need to sort out before we go; We're hoping to rent our house in the UK(Herts) initially while we “settle-in” to Kiwi life – it gives us the option to return if it all goes sour .

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Welcome to the forum: have some karma to get you going
I'm still very new to the area - just moved to Whitby last week from Hamilton - but as the others have said, there are plenty of us round about, so ask and see if we can help at all.
Karen X
Old Dec 6th 2007, 11:49 am
Forum Regular

Thanks again

I haven't posted any proper Q's yet but just wait, once I'm on a roll, there's no stopping me!

Cheers,
Old Dec 7th 2007, 8:34 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya and welcome to the forum! *waves*

We're up in Aotea, a new suburb of Porirua. I leave the house at 7.35 each day, drive down to Porirua station and hop on the 7.46 express to Welly. It's supposed to take 17 minutes, but sometimes it dawdles along a bit, or they decide to take in the scenery in the tunnel but on the whole, after my 15-minute walk, I'm at the office by 8.20. Not too bad.

The nationality that is in the majority in Aotea is ... Brits. The housing market is starting to tank, and we just bought for $65K under September's valuation.

Best of luck, this is a gorgeous area, and every single morning on my commute in, the sight of the harbour takes my breath away. I feel so lucky to live here!

OK that's enough blathering on. Off to bed with me!
Old Dec 7th 2007, 10:43 am
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Moving to Wellington Feb 2008

Thanks again for the warm welcome everyone

Hi Maz - it's early days but funnily enough, Porirua was one of the main places that I honed in on - it seemed the perfect compromise between not being to far from Welly ( I don't want to spend half my life commuting - that's one of many reasons why we're trying to move away from the UK in the first place!) and being a lovely place to live (though I'm sure there are many more similar places too). Nice to hear you're enjoying it there...

I know it may not be welcome news to many of you that have purchased property in the last few months/year but it's good to hear that property prices are steady or falling - otherwise it would be like the UK all over again.

Cheers,
Old Dec 8th 2007, 8:14 am
BE Forum Addict

poppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

hi & welcome,
good luck with all the stuff to sort out.
we moved from herts (me born & bred) too & have 2 kids 6 & 4, now live 1 hr out of welly , hubby prefers the commute to his old london one!!
others have given lots of advice already & i would add that if you want a shorter commmute then the porirua area would be a good place to look.
Old Dec 9th 2007, 1:05 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks again for the warm welcome everyone

Hi Maz - it's early days but funnily enough, Porirua was one of the main places that I honed in on - it seemed the perfect compromise between not being to far from Welly ( I don't want to spend half my life commuting - that's one of many reasons why we're trying to move away from the UK in the first place!) and being a lovely place to live (though I'm sure there are many more similar places too). Nice to hear you're enjoying it there...
Sweet! Come and join the Porirua Posse!
Old Dec 9th 2007, 7:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Hey, welcome, hoep you are all excited as Welly is a great place to live, I just moved out two months back and loving it so far, settled in really quickly and all at work have been so friendly and helpful!!

For property rentals, and everything else you could ever possibly need in NZ, look at trademe which is where everything is listed! Good place to look for cars and stuff too...

Hope it all goes well for you, good luck!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.