Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Moving to Wellington...

Moving to Wellington...

Old Aug 8th 2007, 8:00 pm
Forum Regular

brissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond repute
Default Moving to Wellington...

Hi Folks

Me and my Kiwi wife are moving to Wellington next year from Glasgow.

It was originally to be Brisbane in Oz but the wife wants to be nearer her Mum in Napier.

I was in Napier at xmas and loved it but due to the nature of my job (Software Tester) we need to be located in a bigger city.

Ive never been to Wellington so Im really looking for some advice and info on the place.

How are any of you ex-pats liking it?

It does look beautiful although Ive heard the weather isnt very good.

The wife loves Wellington, but I cant help feeling my heart will always be in Brisbane.

On the plus I do love my fishing and ive heard its very accessible over there.

Anyway any advice and opinions most welcome.

Hope you are all well

Jamie
Old Aug 9th 2007, 2:33 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Wellington...

Originally Posted by brissybound
Hi Folks

Me and my Kiwi wife are moving to Wellington next year from Glasgow.

It was originally to be Brisbane in Oz but the wife wants to be nearer her Mum in Napier.

I was in Napier at xmas and loved it but due to the nature of my job (Software Tester) we need to be located in a bigger city.

Ive never been to Wellington so Im really looking for some advice and info on the place.

How are any of you ex-pats liking it?

It does look beautiful although Ive heard the weather isnt very good.

The wife loves Wellington, but I cant help feeling my heart will always be in Brisbane.

On the plus I do love my fishing and ive heard its very accessible over there.

Anyway any advice and opinions most welcome.

Hope you are all well

Jamie
Hiya Brissybound

Sorry not in Welly, over the Straits in Blenheim, so can't help, but Welly must rock hun cos there's loads of people on here that reside there

Good Luck to you
Old Aug 9th 2007, 2:58 am

Beachcombers is an unknown quantity at this point

Well the weather in Wellington can be...er variable. Unlike me and Kev&Sarah in sunny Marlborough, only 19kms away! (as the crow flys)

But Wellington is by far my favorite city in NZ. Small, but with heaps going on, great restaurants, better live music scene than Auckland (NZ's best musicians are based in Wellington), theater, culture.........

Easy access to the coast, the wineries in Martinborough, diving, sailing, fishing.........and penguins!

You'll be all right!
Old Aug 9th 2007, 7:31 am
Forum Regular

brissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beachcombers
Well the weather in Wellington can be...er variable. Unlike me and Kev&Sarah in sunny Marlborough, only 19kms away! (as the crow flys)

But Wellington is by far my favorite city in NZ. Small, but with heaps going on, great restaurants, better live music scene than Auckland (NZ's best musicians are based in Wellington), theater, culture.........

Easy access to the coast, the wineries in Martinborough, diving, sailing, fishing.........and penguins!

You'll be all right!
Thanks for that.

My wife reckons its really warm in summer, but I reckon she is just trying to convince the sceptical side in me. Anytime I look at the average temperature it doesnt seem to rarely get above 18 celcius which is just like Glasgow.

This really worries me as I have no doubts about it being a beautiful city, its just seems an awful long way to go to be stuck inside.

To be fair though its not just about me and if the strife wants to be nearer home then so be it.

I think she has had a belly full of all the crime going on in Glasgow, as she's been here 11 years now.

Anyway thank you for responding

No doubt we shall talk another time

Good Luck

Jamie
Old Aug 9th 2007, 9:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there,
We've lived in Welly since last June & love it. We live 20 mins north of the city, easy access for shops, trains etc. Beautiful seaviews & a nice little expat community.
The last few days has been about 14c, blue skies and glorious sunshine - and it's winter. Summer is worth the wait, we moved from the Sunderland, so for us Welly weather is much better.
If I can be of any help just shout.
Old Aug 9th 2007, 10:36 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Boopy
Hi there,
We've lived in Welly since last June & love it. We live 20 mins north of the city, easy access for shops, trains etc. Beautiful seaviews & a nice little expat community.
The last few days has been about 14c, blue skies and glorious sunshine - and it's winter. Summer is worth the wait, we moved from the Sunderland, so for us Welly weather is much better.
If I can be of any help just shout.
Thanks youve certainly cheered me up with that reply.

If you dont mind me asking what area are you in? The wife knows Wellington well, live there for 6 years, so I can suss how much the rent is.

I dont mean to be nosy but the thought of affordable house on the seafront sounds fantastic

Many thanks for the reply

Jamie

Sorry Just seen your location!

Last edited by brissybound; Aug 9th 2007 at 12:22 pm.
Old Aug 10th 2007, 7:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks youve certainly cheered me up with that reply.

If you dont mind me asking what area are you in? The wife knows Wellington well, live there for 6 years, so I can suss how much the rent is.

I dont mean to be nosy but the thought of affordable house on the seafront sounds fantastic

Many thanks for the reply

Jamie

Sorry Just seen your location!

Hi Jamie,
We live in Papakowhai, it's just north of Porirua city and before Paremata, beside Aotea Lagoon & NZ Police College. There are cheaper areas - but you pay for what you get and a nicer area. Where about is your wife from.
Old Aug 10th 2007, 9:08 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Boopy
Hi Jamie,
We live in Papakowhai, it's just north of Porirua city and before Paremata, beside Aotea Lagoon & NZ Police College. There are cheaper areas - but you pay for what you get and a nicer area. Where about is your wife from.

My wifes fron Napier, but she lived and studied in Wellington for 6 years. Thats how she ended up in Glasgow she won a national opera singing contest and won scholarship to the RSAMD in Glasgow.

Yes, she adores Wellington, and I have to admit it does look a lot better than sunny Govan were we are currently located!

Thanks for all your advice, I shall no doubt be posting more questions.

Many thanks

Jamie
Old Aug 10th 2007, 1:15 pm
Stoke City fanatic

nelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond repute

My wifes fron Napier, but she lived and studied in Wellington for 6 years. Thats how she ended up in Glasgow she won a national opera singing contest and won scholarship to the RSAMD in Glasgow.

Yes, she adores Wellington, and I have to admit it does look a lot better than sunny Govan were we are currently located!

Thanks for all your advice, I shall no doubt be posting more questions.

Many thanks

Jamie
Hi mate,
Wellington is cool place, lived there for a year in Wadestown. Can't really compare uk temps to nz temps as heat is different. Temp may not get higher than uk but you certainly feel it more over here. Only real problem with welly is the WIND.....
Old Aug 11th 2007, 10:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by nelsonpom
Hi mate,
Wellington is cool place, lived there for a year in Wadestown. Can't really compare uk temps to nz temps as heat is different. Temp may not get higher than uk but you certainly feel it more over here. Only real problem with welly is the WIND.....
Ive heard about this famous wind.

The wife used to live Kilbirnie and hitaiti(hi-ti-ti) excuse my spelling she never wrote it down and cant be bothered to google it.

Most folk ive talked to reckon I would like Wellington more than Brisbane so Im feeling a bit more positive about it all. At the end of the day its where the wife calls home and a marriage is a two street after all.

Its just that her street is at the other side of the world.

Cheers again

Jamie
Old Aug 12th 2007, 12:00 am
Stoke City fanatic

nelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond repute

Ive heard about this famous wind.

The wife used to live Kilbirnie and hitaiti(hi-ti-ti) excuse my spelling she never wrote it down and cant be bothered to google it.

Most folk ive talked to reckon I would like Wellington more than Brisbane so Im feeling a bit more positive about it all. At the end of the day its where the wife calls home and a marriage is a two street after all.

Its just that her street is at the other side of the world.

Cheers again

Jamie
I liked Haitaitai and Kilbernie, Lovely old cinema in Kilbirnie. Another good thing about Welly is its location, very easy to catch ferry or flight to sth island and you get a whole new lot of amazing scenery.
I cannot reccomend NZ highly enough, my wife and I love it and I'm sure you will too.
Old Aug 12th 2007, 10:06 am
Forum Regular

Cheers nelsonpom

Yeah the scenery is wonderful.

Definately feeling better, although ive been told that I may not be able to get a mortgage for 3 years until a permenant resident.

Going to start another thread to find out if this is the case.

You see I finished Uni a couple of years ago and we have been renting ever since, stupidly.

Would love to be in a position where we were selling a house and coming over with a decent amount of cash. I dont fancy the idea of having to rent for a nother 3 years, Im 35 and not getting any younger.

Are you in the South Island Nelsonpom? I never made it there although ive heard its beautiful.

Cheers

Jamie
Old Aug 12th 2007, 1:03 pm
Stoke City fanatic

Cheers nelsonpom

Yeah the scenery is wonderful.

Definately feeling better, although ive been told that I may not be able to get a mortgage for 3 years until a permenant resident.

Going to start another thread to find out if this is the case.

You see I finished Uni a couple of years ago and we have been renting ever since, stupidly.

Would love to be in a position where we were selling a house and coming over with a decent amount of cash. I dont fancy the idea of having to rent for a nother 3 years, Im 35 and not getting any younger.

Are you in the South Island Nelsonpom? I never made it there although ive heard its beautiful.

Cheers

Jamie
Hi Jamie,
yea we moved to Nelson in Nov and brought a house here in Dec. I found getting a mortgage very very easy. Must depend on your visa etc but we were given mortgage on future earnings as neither of us had a job in Nelson when we decided to buy their. Bank just said they believed we would make repayments (national bank).
Have to visit sth island it is truely breathtaking.
Darren
Old Aug 14th 2007, 2:16 am
BE Forum Addict

poppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond repute

hi & welcome, good luck with the move, at least your wife knows welly so that will be a big help. we live on the kapiti coast & love it have been here since apr 2006 & tbh don't have a problem with the weather, yes it gets windy at times.... but not all the time.
Old Aug 14th 2007, 3:37 am
Winter hibernator

Ted Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to behold

Hi Jamie,

Well if the wife likes it you have no hope on anything else.

Yes it is windy, wet and cold (especially those southerlys) but in summer you can't beat it. So it won't be anything like Brisbane.

Biggest thing you will notice is the lack of insulation in the houses, over winter its freezing but okay for the summer. Unlike good old British homes.

Wellington City is busy and vibrant, loads of cafes and pubs plus good choice of resturants (Port Nicholson resturant has been voted no. 1 in NZ).

Good luck for the move.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.