Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Moving from the UK to NZ after being discharged from Bankruptcy.

Moving from the UK to NZ after being discharged from Bankruptcy.

Old Jul 14th 2008, 3:34 pm
Just Joined

fowler369 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving from the UK to NZ after being discharged from Bankruptcy.

Hello there,

This is my first thread - so not too sure how it all works.....

I went bankrupt in November 07, and will be discharged in November 08. I have always wanted to move to NZ after visiting there and travelling there for 5 weeks a couple of years ago.

I want to get a working holiday visa for NZ and want to know if my bankruptcy will have an impact on this?

I would be looking at going in November of this year after I have been discharged.....would that be a problem? And would I have to wait to be discharged to actually apply for the Visa as well - and how long does that process take?

Thank you

Look forward to hearing from you

Old Jul 14th 2008, 4:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

gina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Moving from the UK to NZ after being discharged from Bankruptcy.

not sure it affects it.
have you checkd to see if you are still bankrupt its just that a member of my family declared bankruptsy in nov 07 and received a letter in june saying that they had early discharge from april 08.
you can check online on the national bancrupcy site.
as you can tell i cant spell it properly sorry
Old Jul 14th 2008, 8:03 pm
Chocoholic

Yummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by fowler369
Hello there,

This is my first thread - so not too sure how it all works.....

I went bankrupt in November 07, and will be discharged in November 08. I have always wanted to move to NZ after visiting there and travelling there for 5 weeks a couple of years ago.

I want to get a working holiday visa for NZ and want to know if my bankruptcy will have an impact on this?

I would be looking at going in November of this year after I have been discharged.....would that be a problem? And would I have to wait to be discharged to actually apply for the Visa as well - and how long does that process take?

Thank you

Look forward to hearing from you

Hi there,

A similar post was deleted here the other day, due to an argument which broke out in the thread.

Anyway..... Being Bankrupt does not stop you applying for a visa, and u can actually emigrate during your bankruptcy, however you would have to justify to your trustee how you would actually afford to do this.

NZIS does not do a credit check, so that would not show up. I think the main obstacle would be opening a Bank account in NZ.

There are many help topics about this if you search for them. But i am sure you will be ok.

Maybe someone here will know what the banking situation is with regard to Bankrupts.

Good Luck
Old Jul 14th 2008, 11:20 pm
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

we weren't asked about previous credit history when we opened a bank account here. Nor have we been asked to show any UK credit history prior to getting an NZ mortgage or car loan or HP.
Old Jul 16th 2008, 1:04 pm
Forum Regular

OneManAndHisDog is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TeamEmbo
we weren't asked about previous credit history when we opened a bank account here. Nor have we been asked to show any UK credit history prior to getting an NZ mortgage or car loan or HP.

I can concur on this one. I had a good credit rating in the UK and asked if this could be used to get me a credit card with a limit above the $4,000 they gave me (on a salary of $120k!) over here but they said it was irrelevant. Coincidentally, I moved banks and found Westpac much more willing to give me a decent credit limit than BNZ.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 6:30 am
BE Enthusiast

teambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to behold

Credit cards are a bit of a joke over here but maybe its just for us immigrants....... you hear of kiwis with masses of credit on cards etc.

We wanted a decent limit for buying flights etc and our joint card has a $2000 limit on it meaning that we have to transfer money onto it on a regular basis to buy things on the web etc with the protection visa affords in those kinds of purchase. Thats with a joint salary of over 250K.........

When we first took the card and responded with what normal UK limits were you'd think we landed from mars or something.......

I think its time to talk to other banks.

We've now got residency and nothing much seems to have changed with the ASB.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 7:10 am
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light

We are totally the opposite with ASB..... We are continuing at the moment to refuse the offers of credit/home loans, etc. We have a $5k limit at the moment, which is open for review and we are not even residents.........

They have said that the limits are very much dependant on income & we are certainly not earning $250K+.......I don't know anyone that is! You must have picked up hell of a good job BW.....

Cheers