Reload this Page >

Moving with teenagers

Moving with teenagers

Old Jun 22nd 2008, 7:19 am
Just Joined

Scarpa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving with teenagers

Hi

We have 2 boys aged 16 and 12 and are moving to Rangiora September/October time. Our 16 year old can't wait but our 12 year old is
worried about settling in and making new friends as he has lots of friends here and is going to miss them. He is a likeable child and very friendly so we can't see that he will have a problem.

Have any of you moved with teenagers and did they settle in O.K? Any advice or experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Lisa.
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 8:13 am
BE Enthusiast

CAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Moving with teenagers

Hi, we are in Rangiora, our son turns 12 in September. Jeffery has done very well getting new freinds. He spends a lot of time with an English boy up the street a bit. He also has lots of callers here at the house.

I think that older teenagers can be more delicate, but there are lots of opportunities to meet peers in different settings at school, clubs and sports and church and such places that he should get on fine. If you all get on well now, that will stand you all in good stead for the move.

Do you know where you will be living, or what school you are looking at?
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 8:41 am
lionheart

howden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to all

Personally I think the 12 year old is better off as he will have school in which to meet kids his own age.

Scouts is quite strong out here so they could always join, that's another way to make friends. Active skiing, boating as well as what the UK are used too.

hope this helps

Pauline
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 9:10 am
Just Joined

Thanks for your replies.

CAN2NZ we will be moving to Fernside and staying with friends when we get there Sept/Oct time. We are not sure of schools yet it is something we need to look into. If you are not too far away it would be great to say hello and maybe meet for a drink/coffee.

I think you are right Howden40 clubs and after school activities will help him make friends. His reports always say he is not very confident but a joy to have in class so maybe the move will bring him out a little. He has mentioned kayaking as something he would like to take up as he did it on school camp and really enjoyed it.

Lisa
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 9:32 am
BE Enthusiast

CAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of light

Yes Scarpa, we are always keen to meet new people and if it helps settle you and the kids in that is good too.

We are very close to Fernside, in fact the part of Rangiora we live in is called Fernside, but I think your friends live just outside of Rangiora on a block of land at Fernside proper.

We just bumped into an English couple building a house up the street from us. They popped in to have nose around our place today as their house is quite similar. Their daughter lives at Fernside so they decided to build here and be close.
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 9:48 am
Just Joined

CAN2NZ our friends moved out there 4 years ago and have settled in really well. We stayed with them a couple of years ago and just loved it.

We visited North Island as well but decided south was for us.

Lisa
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 10:05 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Scarpa
CAN2NZ our friends moved out there 4 years ago and have settled in really well. We stayed with them a couple of years ago and just loved it.

We visited North Island as well but decided south was for us.

Lisa
Hi,

Our 2 eldest were 14 & 12 when we move over. The 12 year old settled very quickly making friends at school, but then then 14 year old did take slightly longer (about 4 months), now you couldn't drag her away for a holiday.

Schools are quite big in the towns here so they shouldn't struggle, plus as everyone else has said extra curricula activities help too. Ours have done all the usual sports, plus surf club and our 9 year old is about to start competitive go-karting and all the people at the club have been amazingly helpful and friendly.

It will take as long as it takes, but I reckon they'll be sweet as ...
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 11:15 am
lionheart

howden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Scarpa
Thanks for your replies.

CAN2NZ we will be moving to Fernside and staying with friends when we get there Sept/Oct time. We are not sure of schools yet it is something we need to look into. If you are not too far away it would be great to say hello and maybe meet for a drink/coffee.

I think you are right Howden40 clubs and after school activities will help him make friends. His reports always say he is not very confident but a joy to have in class so maybe the move will bring him out a little. He has mentioned kayaking as something he would like to take up as he did it on school camp and really enjoyed it.

Lisa

The reason I like Scouts for kids is they work on learning through fun and praise. Teach the children skills which develop confidence, independence and leadership qualities, to work as an individual and a team member, highlighting the importance of friendship.

Scouts is also the cheapest way for kids to learn kayaking, mountaineering etc. They have quite a few Sea-Scout groups around NZ and you don't need to be experienced. The older Scouts love teaching the younger ones skills they have learnt (one of the confidence building techniques used).

Our Scouts are off to a chalet on Mount Ruapehu for 5 days food, outing etc $196 and the leaders are skilled in their crafts wether it be mountaineering, kayaking, skiing, pot-holing, caving.

Both my boys went to Scouts, they pay a fraction of what the general 'punter' pays for the same activities.

I have watched many children with little or no confidence develop this skill it's the most rewarding aspect of Scouts.

Give it some serious thought.
Pauline
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 12:17 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by howden40
The reason I like Scouts for kids is they work on learning through fun and praise. Teach the children skills which develop confidence, independence and leadership qualities, to work as an individual and a team member, highlighting the importance of friendship.

Scouts is also the cheapest way for kids to learn kayaking, mountaineering etc. They have quite a few Sea-Scout groups around NZ and you don't need to be experienced. The older Scouts love teaching the younger ones skills they have learnt (one of the confidence building techniques used).

Our Scouts are off to a chalet on Mount Ruapehu for 5 days food, outing etc $196 and the leaders are skilled in their crafts wether it be mountaineering, kayaking, skiing, pot-holing, caving.

Both my boys went to Scouts, they pay a fraction of what the general 'punter' pays for the same activities.

I have watched many children with little or no confidence develop this skill it's the most rewarding aspect of Scouts.

Give it some serious thought.
Pauline
Hi Pauline,

Can you please tell us novices what age scouts caters for? And how they go about joining?
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 4:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Hi Pauline,

Can you please tell us novices what age scouts caters for? And how they go about joining?
Also do girls join the scouts or do they have their own 'thing' ?
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 9:24 pm
lionheart

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Hi Pauline,

Keas aged 6 - 8
Cubs 8 - 10
Scouts 10 - 15
Ventures 15 - 18
Rover Ventures 18 - 23

We welcome girls or they can go to guides/brownies
We take adults as well

It depends on what area you want

The Mount only has a Cub Group - Tuesdays 6 - 7.30
and a Sea Scout Group - Tuesdays

Papamoa has Keas Monday 5 - 6.30
Cubs Monday 5 - 6.30