Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

moving to tauranga in August

moving to tauranga in August

Old Mar 9th 2010, 2:59 pm
Forum Regular

imanurse is just really niceimanurse is just really niceimanurse is just really niceimanurse is just really niceimanurse is just really niceimanurse is just really niceimanurse is just really niceimanurse is just really niceimanurse is just really niceimanurse is just really nice
Question moving to tauranga in August

hi all my name is sam, me my husband and daughter are moving to tauranga in August i was wondering if you could tell me if a wage of around 63k is enough for a family of three to live of until hubby gets work,

also any pointers on schools and areas to live in bop would be gratefully received, our daughter will be 12 when we arrive, need to be within commuting distance of tauranga hospital as that is where i will be working.

many thanks

sam
Old Mar 9th 2010, 3:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

AngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving to tauranga in August

Hey Sam sorry can't help but I'm sure there will be someone along soon who can. Just wanted to say welcome & good luck x

Angela
Old Mar 9th 2010, 3:03 pm
Forum Regular

imanurse is just really niceimanurse is just really niceimanurse is just really niceimanurse is just really niceimanurse is just really niceimanurse is just really niceimanurse is just really niceimanurse is just really niceimanurse is just really niceimanurse is just really nice

hi many thanks for the welcome
Old Mar 9th 2010, 3:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

concretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by imanurse View Post
hi all my name is sam, me my husband and daughter are moving to tauranga in August i was wondering if you could tell me if a wage of around 63k is enough for a family of three to live of until hubby gets work,

also any pointers on schools and areas to live in bop would be gratefully received, our daughter will be 12 when we arrive, need to be within commuting distance of tauranga hospital as that is where i will be working.

many thanks

sam
hi yes no problum, there are bus,s every half an hour running a long camron road, ( if you cant drive ) we should also be there around august,
schools are close as well and super markets no far from hospital as well
Old Mar 9th 2010, 3:40 pm
Forum Regular

many thanks for the reply, all usefull information you sound as though you know the area very well!! have you been before?

if so what did you think?
Old Mar 9th 2010, 4:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

concretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud of

many thanks for the reply, all usefull information you sound as though you know the area very well!! have you been before?

hi yes we moved there in Jan 07 came back Oct 07, house did not sell
we lived about a mile from hospital, also we used to go on holiday every two years before that, and we went this Xmas just gone, so now plan is to go back have been offered my old job back just a case now of getting accepted by NZ immigration again
Old Mar 9th 2010, 4:59 pm
Busy Again

bdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of light

Hi there
We live just off Cameron Road Tauranga
My wife is a Nurse at the Hospital on Cameron Road
We have been here nearly six months now
Where are you planning to live?
Are the hospital putting you in the Motel on 18th Ave ?
Old Mar 9th 2010, 5:11 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bdclayton View Post
Hi there
We live just off Cameron Road Tauranga
My wife is a Nurse at the Hospital on Cameron Road
We have been here nearly six months now
Where are you planning to live?
Are the hospital putting you in the Motel on 18th Ave ?
thanks for your reply, we are not sure where we are going to live, trying to figure out the best place for us ( not an easy job), i asked the hospital if they offered assistance with relocation and the nurse recruiter said they do not, i am not going through an agency just a friend who i met in scotland whilst she was a continental nurse. flights are booked for mid august justy hope everything is through in time
Old Mar 9th 2010, 5:13 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by concretepump View Post
hi yes we moved there in Jan 07 came back Oct 07, house did not sell
we lived about a mile from hospital, also we used to go on holiday every two years before that, and we went this Xmas just gone, so now plan is to go back have been offered my old job back just a case now of getting accepted by NZ immigration again
good luck with immigration how long does a work to residence visa take?
Old Mar 9th 2010, 5:29 pm
Busy Again

bdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of light

thanks for your reply, we are not sure where we are going to live, trying to figure out the best place for us ( not an easy job), i asked the hospital if they offered assistance with relocation and the nurse recruiter said they do not, i am not going through an agency just a friend who i met in scotland whilst she was a continental nurse. flights are booked for mid august justy hope everything is through in time
It depends if you drive or not ?
and what shifts you work
What part of the Hospital will you be working in ?
When we came here we had the flight paid and two weeks accommodation.
But they may have stopped that now
finding somewhere to live shouldn't be a problem.
lots of Brits live out Papamoa Way (its close to the beach)
but we live within waking distance of the hospital
which can be a problem
Depending on what type of nursing you do ?
any questions you can send me a P.M and i will try to answer them
as best i can
Old Mar 9th 2010, 7:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond repute

Schools within 5 minutes walking distance of Tauranga Hospital for a 12 year old.
Tauranga Intermediate and Tauranga Girls High.

The Central Avenues area of Tauranga is very pleasant. This area is easily within walking of hospital and the two mentioned schools , the town centre,gyms etc.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 8:08 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hokey-pokey View Post
Schools within 5 minutes walking distance of Tauranga Hospital for a 12 year old.
Tauranga Intermediate and Tauranga Girls High.

The Central Avenues area of Tauranga is very pleasant. This area is easily within walking of hospital and the two mentioned schools , the town centre,gyms etc.
I'd agree with the above - depending what kind of lifestyle you're after? City? Rural? Beach? Views? Etc!

I have a 15 year old at tauranga Girls and we/she are very happy with it.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 8:24 pm
Forum Regular

thanks to all who have replied, have been reading many discussion on this forum and am starting to panic abit about surviving on a nurses wage until hubby gets work, (any advice )

we would ideally like a house near a beach, ideally however need to be realistic with our budget, is 63k before tax enough for a decent standard of living?

excited, scared, panicing and worried, never knew you could feel all of them at once
Old Mar 9th 2010, 9:32 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't know about surviving on that wage as we have sporadic earnings and are a largish family, sorry.

Your average price for a bog standard 3 bedroom rental in Papamoa would be about $350 per week. In Tauranga, slightly less, about $330-340 per week. Mount Maunganui, a bit more, $360-400 per week. HTH.