British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Moving to Tauranga 6 months time (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/moving-tauranga-6-months-time-509425/)

anitah Jan 27th 2008 8:16 am

Moving to Tauranga 6 months time

Hi we are moving to Tauranga in 6 months time. Our 2 young children will need to go to school and we just need to know how much this will cost us?:confused:

Maz Jan 27th 2008 8:23 am

Re: Moving to Tauranga 6 months time

Originally Posted by anitah (Post 5844292)
Hi we are moving to Tauranga in 6 months time. Our 2 young children will need to go to school and we just need to know how much this will cost us?:confused:

Welcome to the forum. :) Do you have PR or work permits? If no, then you'll have to pay international student fees. Not every school will accept international students either.

Marika 38 Jan 27th 2008 8:41 am

Hi Anitah and welcome, we are in Tauranga area, but what age are your children and I could try to find out some info for you, I know a couple here who had to pay international student fee's for their children aged about 7&9, roughly.
Marika :)

Doh' I just read your introduction and can see the childrens ages, as others have said the fee's are high at all, with your work visa or PR.
Don't worry, your salary will be fine too, loads to do in this area, lots of it is free. Will you be renting for a while or looking to buy ?

Am Loolah Jan 27th 2008 9:06 am

As others have already said, without PR it will cost, but to a certain extent will depend on their ages I think.

Where abouts are you thinking off as Tauranga is quite a big area?

anitah Jan 27th 2008 9:19 am

Originally Posted by Maz (Post 5844310)
Welcome to the forum. :) Do you have PR or work permits? If no, then you'll have to pay international student fees. Not every school will accept international students either.

hi we will have a work permit, we have been offered employment in central tauranga :thumbsup:

anitah Jan 27th 2008 9:22 am

Originally Posted by Marika 38 (Post 5844345)
Hi Anitah and welcome, we are in Tauranga area, but what age are your children and I could try to find out some info for you, I know a couple here who had to pay international student fee's for their children aged about 7&9, roughly.
Marika :)

Doh' I just read your introduction and can see the childrens ages, as others have said the fee's are high at all, with your work visa or PR.
Don't worry, your salary will be fine too, loads to do in this area, lots of it is free. Will you be renting for a while or looking to buy ?

my kids are 4 and 6:) we ill rent first, is it best to ship all our stuff over straight away or rent furnished?:confused:

Am Loolah Jan 27th 2008 9:29 am

Originally Posted by anitah (Post 5844461)
my kids are 4 and 6:) we ill rent first, is it best to ship all our stuff over straight away or rent furnished?:confused:

Our youngestb was 4 when we arrived and turned 5 in November, so she had 5 weeks at school before breaking up for the summer hols.

We rented fully furnished and equipped for 8 weeks when we got here, like a holiday home, as it takes 8-12 weeks for container to arrive. Ours arrived in 6 so we stored it at the docks and then bought a home. Had container delivered to front door ... sweet as ... :o

I know people who rented unfurnished and camped for up to 12 weeks, they nearly suffered breakdowns!:(

BUT - rentals are few and far between - I may be able to help if you let me know what area you are coming to? I work for an Estate Agents who have a rentals office.:thumbup:

anitah Jan 27th 2008 9:36 am

Hi thanks for that, the job i have been offered is in brown street tauranga, we have never been to nz before so i am due to come out for a look see in prob april or may. i will then assess where we could live, schools etc and your offer of help with rental may be greatly appreciated!! is it really an expensive business coming out with your family and shipping etc? do you think it has been worthwhile? we have good jobs, live in nice area, good schools etc but we want to come to nz:cool::):)

Am Loolah Jan 27th 2008 9:43 am

Originally Posted by anitah (Post 5844496)
Hi thanks for that, the job i have been offered is in brown street tauranga, we have never been to nz before so i am due to come out for a look see in prob april or may. i will then assess where we could live, schools etc and your offer of help with rental may be greatly appreciated!! is it really an expensive business coming out with your family and shipping etc? do you think it has been worthwhile? we have good jobs, live in nice area, good schools etc but we want to come to nz:cool::):)

You must stay in touch and come over when you come to visit, we can get you together with some fellow ex-pats and we're all pretty honest!:o

We came out as a family of 6 and 2 large dogs. Yes it's expensive, but money well spent. I think we all wish we'd done it earlier. Our kids are now 5, 9, 12 & 15 and all love it. Where we are has something for all of them and us as adults too! It's amazing.

But, it's also expensive to live here, wages aren't great depending on what you do, shopping can be expensive, but eating out, cars and activities seem way cheaper. Houses aren't as cheap as they used to be and are quite hemmed in, but the lifestyle more than makes up for it. And the weather is superb!!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

anitah Jan 27th 2008 9:52 am

thanks very much and will keep in touch for when i come over, do you know where brown street is? its off cliff road?:huh: and near a large harbour? green as grass ! it sounds terrible that i dont even know where i'm going !!!!!

Am Loolah Jan 27th 2008 9:57 am

Originally Posted by anitah (Post 5844534)
thanks very much and will keep in touch for when i come over, do you know where brown street is? its off cliff road?:huh: and near a large harbour? green as grass ! it sounds terrible that i dont even know where i'm going !!!!!

Just over the harbour bridge from the Mount/Papamoa by the Domain (park) basically on the outskirts of downtown/CBD.:thumbup: What's your job?

anitah Jan 27th 2008 10:01 am

dental hygienist. what is the best place for me to look on the internet for house rental prices and schooling. we probably want to work, live and go to school locally ie walking distance if poss to start with :D

anitah Jan 27th 2008 10:03 am

also to say my husband is a qualified cabinet maker with 23 years experience. he will look for a job once we are settled in as i need him to be responsible for kids when i first start work to make me feel better! do you know anyone looking for this? he's fantastic at his job and has worked for his present company for years and they make things for royalty and big celebrities and also fit out yachts and suuperyachts?:thumbsup::)

Am Loolah Jan 27th 2008 10:07 am

Originally Posted by anitah (Post 5844553)
dental hygienist. what is the best place for me to look on the internet for house rental prices and schooling. we probably want to work, live and go to school locally ie walking distance if poss to start with :D

I'll send you a PM in the next couple of days, off to bedlam now.:thumbup: