Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Moving to Riccarton soon.

Moving to Riccarton soon.

Old Sep 6th 2012, 8:06 pm
Confused but Alive

tattoobarbie has much to be proud oftattoobarbie has much to be proud oftattoobarbie has much to be proud oftattoobarbie has much to be proud oftattoobarbie has much to be proud oftattoobarbie has much to be proud oftattoobarbie has much to be proud oftattoobarbie has much to be proud oftattoobarbie has much to be proud oftattoobarbie has much to be proud oftattoobarbie has much to be proud of
Cool Moving to Riccarton soon.

Hello!

My first post!! We are hoping to be out there by the 20th. My other half is on an Long Term Visa thing and I'm going on a Partner one. (I'm so bored of Visas at the moment!)

The old ball and chain has a job as a Construction Manager with Clearwater and I don't have an offer. I have decided to take a 2 week break so I can spend the hubbies hard earned cash and get to know the area. I am a Senior Sous Chef and I'm hoping to work in a little cafe (trained pastry chef)

I am really nervous! I'm 23 and the other one is 31. He has visited once and I have never been!

That is our short story. Any advice, help, laughs or abuse throw it my way! I know nothing!!

Love Anna xx

(Oh!! We have a flat in Riccarton)
Old Sep 14th 2012, 7:55 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Riccarton soon.

Hi Anna,

how's the packing going? not long now

pop on over to the arrivals and departure sticky and lets us know your travel plans. I have for now put you in as arriving on the 20th.
Old Sep 15th 2012, 1:18 am
BE Forum Addict

chippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Anna,

Take a look at the Christchurch thread on here. Lots of info which you may find useful.
Riccarton is the home of Westfield Mall, with around 190 shops http://www.westfield.co.nz/riccarton. You are also fairly close to Hagley Park, the AMI Stadium and CBS Arena.
There are a number of bars etc in the area so it is quite a busy area, although you may still find it quiet compared to the UK!
Have a look on trademe.co.nz or seek.co.nz for chef jobs. Chefs seem to be one of the jobs with quite a few vacancies, although not sure if they will all be suitable.
I think having a couple of weeks to get used to the place is sensible, although you may have a bit more time if a suitable job doesn't come your way! Bus service is generally very good and most bus drivers are very helpful http://www.metroinfo.co.nz/Pages/default.aspx.
They use the 'swedish rounding' system here which means that although things are priced up as 1.97, 5.99 etc, if you pay cash the amount gets rounded so ends in a 5 or 0! If you pay by card, then you get charged the exact amount.
The Westpac bank in Riccarton Mall is open on a Sunday as are most shops and not just between 10-4, some supermarkets are open 24/7.
If you are desperate for a taste of England, you can go to Riccarton Market http://www.riccartonmarket.co.nz/, where there is an English stall and also proper Cornish Pasties (the ones in supermarkets are nothing like them).
So, have a read through and ask away!
Old Sep 17th 2012, 3:15 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

The Running Bull restaurant in Riccarton is excellent. Go for a meal with your other half's first pay cheque as a treat !
Old Sep 18th 2012, 10:57 pm
Just Joined

104daysummervacation is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi TatooBarbie,

We have been here a little over a month and loving every minute.
We have had bright sunny warm days,hailstones the size of eggs andlots of blustery weather,great for drying the washing.

Our daughter goes to Riccarton High School.They all thought it was totally hillaroius when she said "Riccaaarton" as in plum in the mouth long a as in "Baaath ".
The intonation is on a short,fast "i" as in the name "Rick".

Riccarton is great,very cosmopolitan,food outlets/shops from all over the world.
Give yourself more than 2 weeks without trying to find work if you can afford it,there is plenty to see and do locally and a bit further afield.Spring is coming and you don't want to be cooped up straight away.
Best Regards Malin,Tim & Meg