Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Moving to Rangiora

Moving to Rangiora

Old Sep 4th 2008, 7:40 am
Just Joined

Scarpa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Rangiora

The visas have arrived and we will be moving at the end of October with our two boys who will be going to Rangiora High. We just wondered if any one else is moving to this area and do any of you have boys aged 12/13 who are going or already attend Rangiora High?

Our youngest son is 13 and obviously he's a little nervous about starting a new school but we've been told that Kiwi kids are friendly and he should be o.k. Any thoughts or experiences would be helpful.

Thanks in advance

Lisa.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 9:31 am
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Rangiora

Originally Posted by Scarpa
The visas have arrived and we will be moving at the end of October with our two boys who will be going to Rangiora High. We just wondered if any one else is moving to this area and do any of you have boys aged 12/13 who are going or already attend Rangiora High?

Our youngest son is 13 and obviously he's a little nervous about starting a new school but we've been told that Kiwi kids are friendly and he should be o.k. Any thoughts or experiences would be helpful.

Thanks in advance

Lisa.
Hi Lisa. HJMilligan has a son and daughter who go to Rangiora High but she is not on here as much as she used to be. I think she is working hard and probably doesn't have time to spend on here so much. I am sure someone will tell you what Rangiora High is like. We don't live too far from Rangiora High, what area are you moving to - have you decided yet. PM me if you want any further info on Rangiora in general.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 11:00 am
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Lisa. We're in Rangiora to. My son is 12 and daughter's 13 but they go to New Life. Like Shirl said HJMilligan's go to the high school. You could try sending her a PM or email. Mine were nervous too before starting school here but by the end of the first week they'd made heaps of mates and were off at sleepovers! If you want your son can send a PM to my son with any worries or concerns. I'm sure our lad will give him an honest account of Rangiora! The high school has great facilities and there are so many kids from different backgrounds and countries. Rangiora's a very friendly town. I'm sure you'll all settle ok. You can email us or PM if you need anything at all. We'll be happy to help. We know how exciting and unsettling the move can be and it might help to begin with if you know that you've people local to you that understand what you're going through that you can call on. Have a good trip over.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 12:13 pm
Forum Regular

donnynz is a jewel in the roughdonnynz is a jewel in the roughdonnynz is a jewel in the roughdonnynz is a jewel in the rough

Hi, I'm moving out there (Rangiora) with my wife and two children, both aged 16 though...

Anyway I don't think you'll have a problem with the kids making new friends, especially at that age! I did email the headmistress regarding how mine would fit in coming in at that age and she said that there is a large expat support network and new people are frequently coming in at all levels.

We arrive just as the NZ kids are doing their equivalent of the GCSEs, so, there would be little point our kids going to school straight away, which was a bit worrying. However, the headmistress mentioned that they could be involved in International student activities, which would allow them to mix with other students, so that's good.

Enjoy.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 2:20 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for all of your replies, you have made me feel much better!!

We are at the stage when we know that we want to go and we are all very excited, but we are nervous at the same time............does that make sense?

We have 2 boys age 16 and 13. Our eldest has just passed his GCSE's. He got 4 a's 4 b's and 2 c's and wants to carry on his schooling when we get there. He is not worried at all and can't wait to get there. Our 13 year old is a sensitive lad and is very popular at school with many friends. I think he just needs plenty or reassurance but we thought it would be nice if he could talk to or even meet up with other children of a similar age over the christmas holidays to help him settle in a bit. It would also be nice for us as a family to meet up with other people to share their experiences so I will be taking you up on your offers and will be sending pm's!!!

We are not sure yet exactly where we will be settling in Rangiora, that will be our first job when we get there.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 6:37 pm
Just Joined

Mattyk is a jewel in the roughMattyk is a jewel in the roughMattyk is a jewel in the roughMattyk is a jewel in the roughMattyk is a jewel in the rough

Hi all,

My wife and I are moving over to Rangiora in just under 3 weeks, no kids yet just a dog and cat who are coming with us. Cannot wait to get over as my head is constantly spinning with things to do. My friend who already lives in Rangiora is helping with the move which has been a major help.

My wife Deb will be working at Christchurch hospital in ITU and hopefully I will get a job via my mate in a sales roll in the building industry.

Looking forward to a drink on the flight.

Good luck all

Matt
Old Sep 4th 2008, 8:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute

Wow all you poeple moving to Rangi. Perhaps we should organise our own meetup when you all get here. Perhaps we could have pre-christmas get together - who is up for that?
Old Sep 5th 2008, 8:32 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by shirl
Wow all you poeple moving to Rangi. Perhaps we should organise our own meetup when you all get here. Perhaps we could have pre-christmas get together - who is up for that?
We are up for that......as long as wine is involved!!! I think i'm going to need a few after all the stresses of finally getting there!!
Old Sep 5th 2008, 10:24 am
Just Joined

SamBinNZ is just really niceSamBinNZ is just really niceSamBinNZ is just really niceSamBinNZ is just really niceSamBinNZ is just really niceSamBinNZ is just really niceSamBinNZ is just really niceSamBinNZ is just really niceSamBinNZ is just really nice

I would be up for that as I live in Rangiora too. Let us know where and when and I'll be there
Old Sep 5th 2008, 10:58 am
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds a good idea. Will need to hire the Town Hall at this rate tho!
Old Sep 5th 2008, 11:33 am
Forum Regular

donnynz is a jewel in the roughdonnynz is a jewel in the roughdonnynz is a jewel in the roughdonnynz is a jewel in the rough

Count us in. Especially if the ale is on
Old Sep 5th 2008, 1:42 pm
Just Joined

Mattyk is a jewel in the roughMattyk is a jewel in the roughMattyk is a jewel in the roughMattyk is a jewel in the roughMattyk is a jewel in the rough

Not been greedy but can we have wine and ale? Sounds good to us.

Old Sep 5th 2008, 8:15 pm
Just Joined

josiewevs is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Everyone

You can count us in as well, We are moving to Rangiora next week, soooo excited!! Does anyone know some good toddler groups? I have two girls a 15 month old and one who turns 3 in Oct.

Cheers Josie
Old Sep 6th 2008, 7:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Well as there are so many wanting to meet up and the weather is warming up may I suggest that we go to the park or beach with our own picnics/bbq or something like that and all bring booze and food. Lots of parks and beaches have picnic spots and bbq's waiting to be used. That way the kids can run free and the parents can all de-stress with a few drinks - failing that anyone own a 10acre section where we can erect a marquee LOL!!!! We could do it once we know everyone who is planning on coming here has finally arrived and settled in. Maybe we should do a list on when you newbies arrive in this country so we will know when the last in gets here!! LOL Or maybe we could do small groups up until then and then another big one when you are all in. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Mandie - not a bad idea hiring somewhere though if the weather is bad and we all chipped in. We could all help with the cleaning up afterwards. I think there is somewhere in Rangi that we can hire is there?
Old Sep 6th 2008, 7:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by josiewevs
Hi Everyone

You can count us in as well, We are moving to Rangiora next week, soooo excited!! Does anyone know some good toddler groups? I have two girls a 15 month old and one who turns 3 in Oct.

Cheers Josie
How lovely moving here next week. Not sure about the toddler groups, someone will point you in the right direction though. Do you have accommodation sorted already then?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.