British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Moving Question Regarding Customs (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/moving-question-regarding-customs-796713/)

shellmat May 11th 2013 4:41 pm

Moving Question Regarding Customs

Hello,

Just a quick question regarding customs. Did anyone have any issues bring in used bikes (peddle) camping gear/golf clubs etc. The NZ customs site stipulates these items must be declared and I was wondering if anyone had a hard time with getting these items in - thanks

moonie2011 May 11th 2013 7:07 pm

Re: Moving Question Regarding Customs

We are moving in 2weeks, friends who have previously emigrated said as long as you wash everything in Jeyes Fluid, when customs smell it as they open the container they tend to be happy :D

moondust_frenzy May 11th 2013 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by moonie2011 (Post 10703784)
We are moving in 2weeks, friends who have previously emigrated said as long as you wash everything in Jeyes Fluid, when customs smell it as they open the container they tend to be happy :D

We are bringing over kayaks and a bike and the removals company we are using said the same thing. If it smells of jeyes fluid when they open the container customs will be happy

MrsFychan May 12th 2013 2:16 am

we used Vikal (something or other, as recommended by removal firm and on here). MAF seperated our bikes, tent, scooters and the like for inspection but as most where fairly new anyway they just took a quick look and signed them off. But we did have to pay for pleasure :sneaky:
Our inspection was done at the time the removal company delivered the container to us but have heard of inspections being done port side. No idea how they decide where they are going to do them

Stormer999 May 12th 2013 4:58 am

Originally Posted by MrsFychan (Post 10704061)
we used Vikal (something or other, as recommended by removal firm and on here). MAF seperated our bikes, tent, scooters and the like for inspection but as most where fairly new anyway they just took a quick look and signed them off. But we did have to pay for pleasure :sneaky:
Our inspection was done at the time the removal company delivered the container to us but have heard of inspections being done port side. No idea how they decide where they are going to do them

It's Virkon S......a bit more professional than Jeyes fluid. The MAF/customs forms had been changed when we shipped to Chch. The forms now require a complete inventory of container contents and treatment of the articles you are then requested to sign for your articles and cleanliness....this is separate from the packers loading inventory. After examining our completed forms MAF and customs signed the shipment off as no need for checking.

escapedtonz May 12th 2013 5:44 am

Hi,

No didn't have any major problems.
Washed everything thoroughly with Jays fluid - both bikes, golf clubs, tents, garden tools, outdoor footwear etc.
Customs completely uninterested in the shipping container. Think they only get involved if there's vehicles or suspect a lot of new stuff as they can make money out of the possible GST.
Everything is supposed to be owned more than 12 months so good idea not to pack any new stuff in its original packaging. Make it look used.

MAF earmarked 35 packages for inspection. This was done at our rental house after the whole container had been delivered. You just have to leave them to one side untouched.
Cost $440 for the MAF inspection (easy money eh!!!), he was there about 30 mins and found a grass seed in one of the tents so slapped a red sticker on it to say it had to be washed FFS!!!
Shipping company had to come pick it up, wash it and drop it back off - another $70.

lapsed kiwi May 12th 2013 5:46 am

The only prob we had was one of two tents, which we forgot to clean. MAF man not very happy when he found it covered with grass, so it had to go away for cleaning. Bit of a hassle and expense, should have been more thorough when we packed. No probs with bikes etc, all thoroughly cleaned in UK

MrsFychan May 12th 2013 6:42 am

we had a small pop up tent that was put to one side for inspection but he just looked at the outside, I told him we had only used it once and he passed it. 6mths later we opened it up to find lots of grass seeds and dead spider *whhoopps*

Tom1983 May 12th 2013 10:42 pm

Golf clubs????

I took my clubs ont flight with me and didn't have to do anything with them. All they wanted to see was my golf shoes

Of course they had a thorough clean before I took them on the flight

Very unusual

shellmat May 16th 2013 2:58 am

Hello

Thanks for all the advice. Bikes now cleaned and the movers arrive tomorrow. Four more days and we arrive in Chch :thumbsup: