Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Moving to Queenstown

Moving to Queenstown

Old May 3rd 2016, 1:42 pm
Just Joined

Tome9 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Queenstown

Thanks Mrs Fychan and Tom H, ill check that out.

The UK has quite a formal stance on CV's and the interview process, I take it this is the same in NZ? I'd be expected to wear a shirt and smart trousers to any job interview?
Old May 9th 2016, 11:36 pm
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Queenstown

Hi
I did casual/itinerant work in Queenstown many decades ago, and it was a really fun and exciting place to be. Even back then accommodation during the high (summer or ski) seasons was really hard to find and I ended up in a number of different digs, even camped in a tent at one time (summer though).
Where there is a will there is a way, and a bit of youthful can-do attitude will get you through.

Couple of thoughts:
- the better/bigger employers such as NZSki, Fiordland Travel, etc will probably have some worker accommodation options themselves. Ultimately they need workers so the accommodation issue is theirs as much as yours.
- getting here in May probably allows you to get ahead of most of the influx of winter workers
- Cromwell (next town about 40min drive away) may have better accommodation availability, possibly around some of the orchards and vineyards that will be off season now picking is done.