Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Moving to Queenstown

Moving to Queenstown

Old Jan 4th 2016, 12:51 pm
Just Joined

Jaebles is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Queenstown

Hi guys, I'm after a bit of advice and your general thoughts about Queenstown. I'm 23 and have the opportunity to move out there indefinitely (job offer in place). I know Queenstown isn't cheap! So I guess my first question is... Would approx $30k be enough to survive my first year living there? Bare in mind I'm moving alone, would live in a house share, and have no real debts, other than student loans to pay off.
Secondly, for those of you who have lived there/elsewhere in NZ, how easy is it to integrate into the community, and enjoy an active (but not hectic) social life? I'm pretty outgoing, and the move doesn't really phase me as I've lived abroad before - but I'm aware QT isn't a huge place.

Any other thoughts? All appreciated!
Old Jan 4th 2016, 1:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

LauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Queenstown

Have you got any contacts there who can advise you about rent costs etc? Queenstown has a very serious rental crisis right now so you will pay more than many other towns and cities for probably less. Cost of living here is significantly higher than the UK, my shared power bill is 50-80 per month (shared between 3) internet anywhere between $75-99 for unlimited, food check out www.countdown.co.nz to get an idea. Also you say the job is indefinite but you have no guarantee of a visa beyond your 12-24 month working holiday visa (which I assume is the one you're going for) and may not be able to work the whole time you are on that visa. 30k would probably be more than fine to live in the situation you describe but I say that with the caution that if you come all this way then you will want to do more than just exist. Money for cool stuff is what makes the difference

Don't get me wrong, Queenstown is a truly beautiful part of the world with a strong vibrant community, if I were you I'd take it in a heartbeat but just go in eyes open with a get out plan.
Old Jan 4th 2016, 7:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

My advice, get over there asap.

You're young and you'll not be wanting to put down roots so you'll be able to get by on $30k, it'll not leave much for anything other than the basics but you'll have a scream in QT. It's full of 20 odd year olds from around the world and you'll have no problem fitting right in, I love the place, it's the only other place I'd consider living in NZ but sadly the property up there is unaffordable which won't bother you.

Good luck Jaebles, you'll have a blast.
Old Jan 5th 2016, 1:57 am
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

I reckon $30k should be enough for rent, bills, beer and fun. Might be a bit tight - do you have any savings to bring over just in case?

I would echo the above thoughts on this one. Queenstown has something for everyone, especially the younger crowd! Adrenaline activities, relaxing spa days, bars, clubs, restaurants and some of the most stunning scenery I've seen.

The Backpackers Board may be able to help out a little more with your questions. They have a forum where I'm sure you'll find more specific answers from others in your situaiton: Index page | backpackerboard Forum