Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Moving to Paraparaumu 01 Jan 08....ooerr

Moving to Paraparaumu 01 Jan 08....ooerr

Old Sep 6th 2007, 2:15 pm
Just Joined

necroscope157 is a jewel in the roughnecroscope157 is a jewel in the roughnecroscope157 is a jewel in the roughnecroscope157 is a jewel in the rough
Cool Moving to Paraparaumu 01 Jan 08....ooerr

Hello all

I'm Paul (44) and Lynne (41) is my wife
Lynne and I are going to emigrate to New Zealand in Jan. Thankfully my wife already has a job in Lower Hutt, but I am looking for work in the computer field. We are at present packing up the house and trying to decide what to move and what to leave....sheezh, after reading some of the threads...i think we are going to take it all, as It seems really expensive to start again.

As has been mentioned in so many threads, were scared, but cannot face living in the UK any more. The cost of living is....but i don't need to go into all that. My wife has spent a year living in New Zealand, as she was a Rotary exchange student, many years ago, and really loves the place. Me I've never been there, so I'm emmigrating blind. guess I will just have to trust the wife.
I know this is the introduction area, but I would love to hear from other people, who've made it to NZ, or who are in the stressful and unhappy stage (that's where i am). There is so much to do, and damn if time is not flying by.

At present I'm looking for a reputable container company (is there such a thing), and we are planning on bringing our car ? too many questions. Its breaking our hearts but were leaving our cats behind, its just too damnned expensive.

Well that's all for now....will be online tonight to pen some more of my exasperations.

Take care all, and thanks for a fabulous forum

Well hello everyone, hope i can offer some advice to some and get some help from others...

Regards

Paul & Lynne

Last edited by necroscope157; Sep 6th 2007 at 2:27 pm. Reason: not enough information
Old Sep 6th 2007, 10:16 pm
life finally begins in NZ

sarahlou2411 is a jewel in the roughsarahlou2411 is a jewel in the roughsarahlou2411 is a jewel in the roughsarahlou2411 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Moving to Paraparaumu 01 Jan 08....ooerr

Originally Posted by necroscope157
Hello all

I'm Paul (44) and Lynne (41) is my wife
Lynne and I are going to emigrate to New Zealand in Jan. Thankfully my wife already has a job in Lower Hutt, but I am looking for work in the computer field. We are at present packing up the house and trying to decide what to move and what to leave....sheezh, after reading some of the threads...i think we are going to take it all, as It seems really expensive to start again.

As has been mentioned in so many threads, were scared, but cannot face living in the UK any more. The cost of living is....but i don't need to go into all that. My wife has spent a year living in New Zealand, as she was a Rotary exchange student, many years ago, and really loves the place. Me I've never been there, so I'm emmigrating blind. guess I will just have to trust the wife.
I know this is the introduction area, but I would love to hear from other people, who've made it to NZ, or who are in the stressful and unhappy stage (that's where i am). There is so much to do, and damn if time is not flying by.

At present I'm looking for a reputable container company (is there such a thing), and we are planning on bringing our car ? too many questions. Its breaking our hearts but were leaving our cats behind, its just too damnned expensive.

Well that's all for now....will be online tonight to pen some more of my exasperations.

Take care all, and thanks for a fabulous forum

Well hello everyone, hope i can offer some advice to some and get some help from others...

Regards

Paul & Lynne
Leave the car and take the cats....I rehomed my dog and miss him very much. Although it is a lot of stress for them as well as being expensive.

We bought car in Lower Hutt before we even arrived in NZ. Hubby did it all by e-mail and the guy was fantastic. The company do overseas deals all the time. Hubbypaid deposit from the UK and collected the car the day after he arrived in wellington. Car is great no problems so far.

will send you the details by personal message. ;-)
Old Sep 7th 2007, 7:18 am
Just Joined

necroscope157 is a jewel in the roughnecroscope157 is a jewel in the roughnecroscope157 is a jewel in the roughnecroscope157 is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for the message, would love to take the cats.....but it will be six to seven weeks before we see them again. Lynne does not think that's fair.

Great news on the car though......awaiting your PM
Old Sep 7th 2007, 8:36 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and welcome to the forum
It might be helpful to start a thread asking people who either took or left their pets if they felt it was the right decision. Thankfully, it was not a choice we had to make as our much beloved 17 year old cat died a year before we came out here . Like you say, it is very expensive but if you are going to feel really bad about it, what price love?
Karma for your newness
Karen B
Old Sep 7th 2007, 9:07 am
life finally begins in NZ

sarahlou2411 is a jewel in the roughsarahlou2411 is a jewel in the roughsarahlou2411 is a jewel in the roughsarahlou2411 is a jewel in the rough

We lost our 10 year old westie late in 2006. She was the one we would have really struggled to leave behind she wouldnt have survived the trip, but she was poorly and unable to be re-homed either. Our other westie 'Jake' was a rescue dog. we had only had him for two years and he was just happy to be with anyone who would love hi and play with him. Luckily we re-homed him with my daughters guitar teacher of five years. They have a little boy who is two so Jake now has someone to grow up with. Little boys need a doggy!!
We have had pictures of Jake from his new owner and he is fine, loving his new best buddy and the other westie they have 'Libby' who is the same age as him.
We do not regret our decision at all despite missing him now and then. He is happy and thats what matters. As humans we have a choice as to where we go and whether a 26 hour flight is okay. Pets unfortunately dont, you can even ask your young kids for their feelings. Not the case with animals so what is best for them long term is what counts in my view.
Old Sep 7th 2007, 12:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really nice

Welcome and good luck!! We're just down the road from Paraparam so feel free to drop in for a coffee when you get here!! There are several of us 'ex-pats' around the Kapiti coast and we're quite nice when you get to know us!!
It is a stressful time and there were times when we wondered why on earth we were putting ourselves through it!?!? Be assured that, if you can treat it as an adventure, it's all worth it!! We used Crown for our container and they were great, as for shipping the car - I'll PM you!!
Keep posting your questions - someone on here is bound to have the answer!!
Old Sep 16th 2007, 6:45 am
Just Joined

northeners is a jewel in the roughnortheners is a jewel in the roughnortheners is a jewel in the roughnortheners is a jewel in the rough

Hi there we have been in Paraparaumu for about 3 months now its a nice place a lot different to what we were used to we have just joined this site and been here for just over a year in total let us know how the move is progressing and mayb we can all meet up sometime.
Old Sep 16th 2007, 12:02 pm
Just Joined

northeners is a jewel in the roughnortheners is a jewel in the roughnortheners is a jewel in the roughnortheners is a jewel in the rough
Red face Re: Moving to Paraparaumu 01 Jan 08....ooerr

Completely undersand about the cats we could not afford our cat to come over and she went to a good home. We now got two new cats. We are happy with our choice, though we sad bout leaving our cat she was cute.
My husband came over blind but knew he had made the right move over here after a few weeks. Hope you feel the same.