Moving to Palmy

Old Nov 18th 2019, 12:28 pm
Just Joined

Mel_0 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Palmy

Hi, we are in the process of moving to Palmy from the UK and there are days when it feels almost impossible to organise everything from over here - especially rental places! So I guess I'm after any useful advice about what is possible from abroad, what our expectations should be. We have two small children so also need to work out how to sort GP/dentist stuff....areas to avoid? Really good play parks? Anything please!
Old Nov 18th 2019, 7:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Palmy

GP and dentist, just sort them out when you get here. There's no panic or dramas involved with registering, it's not like the UK.

local council website has a map and details of all 58 parks and playgrounds in Palmy, plus heaps of other info. Just search for playgrounds on the website
https://www.pncc.govt.nz/services/pa...?q=&area=45620

Last edited by Justcol; Nov 18th 2019 at 7:45 pm.
Old Nov 19th 2019, 2:16 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

when are you over?
Old Nov 20th 2019, 5:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Clappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mel_0
Hi, we are in the process of moving to Palmy from the UK and there are days when it feels almost impossible to organise everything from over here - especially rental places! So I guess I'm after any useful advice about what is possible from abroad, what our expectations should be. We have two small children so also need to work out how to sort GP/dentist stuff....areas to avoid? Really good play parks? Anything please!
There is a limit to what you can organise before you get here. Many people have short-term accommodation and bank accounts already arranged for when they first arrive, then sort out the rest once they are here and they can see what is what and where.
Old Nov 21st 2019, 7:07 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Moving to Palmy

....areas to avoid? Really good play parks? Anything please!
The only area I'd avoid is Highbury, tends to be where most state housing is. College Street and the streets around tend to be mostly students. Hokowhitu and Summerhill are seen as more desirable areas.

Ongley park is good, I used to play cricket down there as a student. They used to run a scale railway club down there that gave kids rides on the trains in summer, no idea if it's still there.

As others have said people usually book short-stay accommodation first while they find a place.

What else?
Getting around: There is a reason New Zealand has one of the highest rates of car ownership in the world, just bite the bullet even if its just a cheap used car with air con and a tow hitch. Also lower you driving standards several notches.
Finances: You can usually sort this out from abroad, major banks like ANZ and ASB will open accounts before you move and issue you with cards when you arrive. Most financial thing are electronic - unless your buying drugs.
Cell phones/broadband: Much for much alike so just go for the best deal, although if you enjoy British levels of customer service Vodafone will likely oblige from what I hear?
Telly: Don't bother, you will just be disappointed. Enjoy the real world - sunshine, hills, forests, rivers and beaches. I got rid of mine and have never really regretted it.
Barbecue: This is a really complex and touchy subject, some will claim that a 4 burner is enough for any family while other insist that a 6 burner is required to entertain.
Fashion: None.
Shopping: Now I'm a Countdown fan but the wealthier and better educated here will tell you New World, Fresh Choice or Moore Wilsons are better.
Pets: You need to pay an annual fee to you local council for a dog and have it micro-chipped. Cats are no problem but need disco collars or bells. Alpacas, piggies or chooks are all optional if you live outside of town.
Sunscreen/Hats: Yes, even when your not sure. The sun is not your friend!
Old Nov 21st 2019, 7:49 am
cym
Forum Regular

cym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond repute

completely agree, avoid Highbury like the plague - unless you like sharing your contents of your house with all and sundry.=startThe student areas are great fun if you are 18, don’t work, don’t study and don’t sleep at night.=startMost other areas of Palmy are ok, some a bit better than others, and some not.=startDon’t limit yourself to Palmy, there are other areas not that far out where your money will go further.=start
Old Nov 26th 2019, 9:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

HHello, I have lived in Palmy for 15 years now. I came with twin two year olds and a four year old. I was the stay at home dad. Please feel free to ask me any questions. I am moving away next year....15 years is enough anywhere!! It is a very, very good place to live with a young family. World class swimming facilities, world class library, some great bars and restaurants and endless parks and reserves. Please feel free to PM me if you would like to ask anything, anything at all. I know Palmy inside out. 95,000 people hardly ever a traffic issue and the beach is just 45 mins away and skiing a little over two hours. Wellington can be done without breaking the speed limit in under two hours. I never, ever tire of going to Wellington! Kind regards, Dominic. PS. Use Fielding Dental Centre, ask for Billy. It is a small town just ten mins away. Worth the travel for his honest non invasive ethics on dental work!!
PPS I am retired now and happy to show you and your family around. I will come and pick you all up at the airport too, if you like, if you fly into Palmy and I will take you to your accommodation. When are you arriving?

Last edited by Genesis; Nov 26th 2019 at 9:23 pm.
Old Nov 30th 2019, 9:07 pm
Forum Regular

PittwaterPrincess is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, we are in the process of moving to Palmy from the UK and there are days when it feels almost impossible to organise everything from over here - especially rental places!
Hello

That would be very hard I agree.

You could pay someone to act as a scout for you.

However, my suggestion is what we did.

Use the internet to find short term temporary accommodation (like a backpackers hostel or boarding house or bed & breakfast or motel) and book in for 3 - 12 weeks.

Many of these places will offer a discount for long term stayers.

That then gives you a place to stay immediately upon arrival.

You then hire or buy a car, or use public transport, and spend your time looking around different suburbs to find one you like, and then you look for a rental to move into.

You really need to see rentals with your own eyes, as real estate agents have the knack of photographing them to look better than they actually are.

Don't stress. It is really easy. Just do most of it when you get here.

The only thing you need to do is find and book into that long term accommodation before you arrive......don't leave that to the last second as places get booked up quickly during school holidays etc.

Last edited by PittwaterPrincess; Nov 30th 2019 at 9:12 pm. Reason: Spelling
Old Nov 30th 2019, 9:10 pm
Forum Regular

PittwaterPrincess is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Clappy
There is a limit to what you can organise before you get here. Many people have short-term accommodation and bank accounts already arranged for when they first arrive, then sort out the rest once they are here and they can see what is what and where.
Yes very true.

I had the accommodation sorted out. And I opened a bank account on the first day I arrived.....but in hindsight it would have been better to arrange that prior.

Old Nov 30th 2019, 11:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
HHello, I have lived in Palmy for 15 years now. I came with twin two year olds and a four year old. I was the stay at home dad. Please feel free to ask me any questions. I am moving away next year....15 years is enough anywhere!! It is a very, very good place to live with a young family. World class swimming facilities, world class library, some great bars and restaurants and endless parks and reserves. Please feel free to PM me if you would like to ask anything, anything at all. I know Palmy inside out. 95,000 people hardly ever a traffic issue and the beach is just 45 mins away and skiing a little over two hours. Wellington can be done without breaking the speed limit in under two hours. I never, ever tire of going to Wellington! Kind regards, Dominic. PS. Use Fielding Dental Centre, ask for Billy. It is a small town just ten mins away. Worth the travel for his honest non invasive ethics on dental work!!
PPS I am retired now and happy to show you and your family around. I will come and pick you all up at the airport too, if you like, if you fly into Palmy and I will take you to your accommodation. When are you arriving?
What a nice offer! I've recently done this in Chch in a group I'm in on Facebook but never offered the airport, I should, it's not far from anything.

I don't know you well as I've only been on the forum a couple of years but followed it for a while before joining, are you leaving Nz or just Palmy?

Not being a stalker, just genuine interest!

​​​​​​l
Old Dec 3rd 2019, 12:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there, thank you for your kind words Mish, no, not leaving Aotearoa, I just need to move within NZ. Been here in Palmy 15 years and I fancy the Mainland. One of my girls is going to Otago Uni. Feb 2021, her twin sister may also go there to be with her beau, so it kinda makes sense to move down there. I want a change, I think the Mainland is way better than the North Island, more beautiful and less populous. What more could one want? I also like getting out of my comfort zone and like mixing up my life now and then. I have been a tad staid of late...change is hoving into view. I welcome it. Always have done.
Old Dec 3rd 2019, 1:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Mishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
Hi there, thank you for your kind words Mish, no, not leaving Aotearoa, I just need to move within NZ. Been here in Palmy 15 years and I fancy the Mainland. One of my girls is going to Otago Uni. Feb 2021, her twin sister may also go there to be with her beau, so it kinda makes sense to move down there. I want a change, I think the Mainland is way better than the North Island, more beautiful and less populous. What more could one want? I also like getting out of my comfort zone and like mixing up my life now and then. I have been a tad staid of late...change is hoving into view. I welcome it. Always have done.
Sounds awesome! I have to say moving back here from Oz earlier this year after being away since 2010 was the best thing I did. I needed change as well. It was hard as I left my 21 year old there but she has lived out of home for 2 years and didn't want to come but she has to live her own life.

I've been back and forth between Christchurch and Oz sorting the 18 year old out as she loves Nz but has to finish some things there before moving permanently here, aiming for Canterbury uni either mid 2020 or 2021. I'll be there at Xmas , not particularly happy about frying in that heat. Even as an Aussie I can't stand the heat!

So basically I've upped sticks here on my own, but I also like a challenge! 😊 all good though as plenty of friends here.

I'm sure you'll love the South Island, it's fantastic to be back, the best thing I did was come back and I can say I'm not moving back to Oz, I intend to eventually retire here. It's only 3 hours to Oz for me to visit or daughter to come here.

Otago area is lovely, although I haven't been there since 1997..
​​​​​​

​​​​​​