Moving to Palmy

Old Mar 4th 2017, 5:35 am
Forum Regular

clairesw is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Palmy

Hi everyone,
It's been a while, but would appreciate any advice.
We've been in NZ (Auckland) for 4 years and are thinking of a move out of the city. Just a bit tired of sitting in traffic, astronomical house prices etc..
Short story, I've been offered a job in Palmy based on Ferguson Street and need to find a pet friendly rental. Any thoughts on areas to focus on? We've never been to Palmy, budget is up to $350 pw, don't mind lower economic areas as long as they're pretty safe.
Would appreciate any tips.
Thanks guys!

PS. No kids so near to schools not an issue, just me, hubby and a couple of small dogs.

Last edited by clairesw; Mar 4th 2017 at 5:37 am. Reason: Adding extra info
Old Mar 4th 2017, 10:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Palmy

Originally Posted by clairesw
Hi everyone,
It's been a while, but would appreciate any advice.
We've been in NZ (Auckland) for 4 years and are thinking of a move out of the city. Just a bit tired of sitting in traffic, astronomical house prices etc..
Short story, I've been offered a job in Palmy based on Ferguson Street and need to find a pet friendly rental. Any thoughts on areas to focus on? We've never been to Palmy, budget is up to $350 pw, don't mind lower economic areas as long as they're pretty safe.
Would appreciate any tips.
Thanks guys!

PS. No kids so near to schools not an issue, just me, hubby and a couple of small dogs.

This is a nice area, very close to our wonderful swimming and gym complex.

West End, 3 bedrooms, $335 pw | Trade Me Property

You could walk very easily to The Square from here which will possibly be close to your work. Please feel free to ask me any questions.

Been here 12 years. Terrace End is a nice area, Hokowhitu the most expensive. Palmy is a cool place to live. Not the most exciting palce but good place to live nevertheless.
Old Mar 5th 2017, 12:17 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Genesis!
Exciting isn't a necessity. Just somewhere we can settle with a hope of buying our own place before we get too old!
I've driven myself crazy weighing up pros and cons of moving, but there are more pros than cons. I'd only visited Auckland for a week before we moved over so up for making anything work.
Appreciate the info, thanks again!
Old Mar 5th 2017, 1:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Genesis!
Exciting isn't a necessity. Just somewhere we can settle with a hope of buying our own place before we get too old!
I've driven myself crazy weighing up pros and cons of moving, but there are more pros than cons. I'd only visited Auckland for a week before we moved over so up for making anything work.
Appreciate the info, thanks again!
Keep in touch eh? If you want a drive around recce when you get here more than happy to do that with you your husband and the dogs!! Did you know we have more eateries here in Palmy, per capita than any other city in Aotearoa.

We have a few excellent curry houses, some lovely pubs and a new microbrewery public house soon to open in The Broadway. It is going to be absolutely WORLD CLASS! Our library is to die for too!

We got 27 odd parks and reserves too for your dogs!

Who said Palmy is DULL??? They are REAL!!!!http://i.stuff.co.nz/environment/895...imply-stunning

Last edited by Genesis; Mar 5th 2017 at 1:15 am.
Old Mar 5th 2017, 1:31 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Genesis
Keep in touch eh? If you want a drive around recce when you get here more than happy to do that with you your husband and the dogs!! Did you know we have more eateries here in Palmy, per capita than any other city in Aotearoa.

We have a few excellent curry houses, some lovely pubs and a new microbrewery public house soon to open in The Broadway. It is going to be absolutely WORLD CLASS! Our library is to die for too!

We got 27 odd parks and reserves too for your dogs!

Who said Palmy is DULL??? They are REAL!!!!Wave clouds over Palmerston North are simply stunning | Stuff.co.nz
I will, and you are awesome, I feel so much better now!
You know we could just stay here and coast along paying someone else's mortgage, or go out there and take a risk. Palmy here we come!!

Now, just got to tell my boss....
Old Mar 5th 2017, 4:16 am
BE Forum Addict

I will, and you are awesome, I feel so much better now!
You know we could just stay here and coast along paying someone else's mortgage, or go out there and take a risk. Palmy here we come!!

Now, just got to tell my boss....
She who dares wins!!! You will not miss the traffic and the droves of crowds. You will love the affordability of Palmy, skiing is only 2 hours away, the capital ditto, even quicker now that the Kapiti express way is open!!

The beach (Foxton) is only 45 mins. And I think Wellington is WAAAAAAAAAAY nicer than Auckland!!

I am very fussy about my surroundings and I get bored very easy. I have never been bored here. I ride a motor bike as a hobby, I have to pinch myself when after just a few minutes I am amongst world class scenery.

Whanganui is only 50 mins away and it is a REALLY cool place to go for a night. I can recommend The Rutland pub/hotel. Full of craft beer and one of the best indians in NZ is just opposite 'Spice Guru'.

We have endless coffee shops, an art gallery a museum, a wonderful square and even a PROPER shopping mall!!!

You have much to look forward to. Which is nice.

PS thank you for your kind compliment.
Old Mar 5th 2017, 8:34 am
Forum Regular

Bumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really nice

I have two friends with pet friendly rentals, unfortunately the are both currently rented out. It is generally quite hard to get rentals for dogs so good luck with that. As Genesis said Palmy is a great place to live. We came here 13 years ago after living in Auckland for many years and really like it. Don't miss Orcland (or the traffic) at all. So many cafes and restaurants here all within walking distance (depending on where you live). I regularly go out to the movies and then dinner in town and walk home by myself and don't feel scared. Palmy is def not a holiday destination but is a great place to live and as mentioned above housing is very affordable. Good luck with the possible move!?! Palmy is very dog friendly, I've got dogs and there are a plethora of off leash parks and reserves, much more than Auckland (so I am told by a friend). The only time I put my dogs on a leash is when I am doing a street walk.

Last edited by Bumptious; Mar 5th 2017 at 8:38 am.
Old Mar 5th 2017, 5:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
She who dares wins!!! You will not miss the traffic and the droves of crowds. You will love the affordability of Palmy, skiing is only 2 hours away, the capital ditto, even quicker now that the Kapiti express way is open!!

The beach (Foxton) is only 45 mins. And I think Wellington is WAAAAAAAAAAY nicer than Auckland!!

I am very fussy about my surroundings and I get bored very easy. I have never been bored here. I ride a motor bike as a hobby, I have to pinch myself when after just a few minutes I am amongst world class scenery.

Whanganui is only 50 mins away and it is a REALLY cool place to go for a night. I can recommend The Rutland pub/hotel. Full of craft beer and one of the best indians in NZ is just opposite 'Spice Guru'.

We have endless coffee shops, an art gallery a museum, a wonderful square and even a PROPER shopping mall!!!

You have much to look forward to. Which is nice.

PS thank you for your kind compliment.
Good posts on palmy

Old Mar 5th 2017, 5:55 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bumptious
I have two friends with pet friendly rentals, unfortunately the are both currently rented out. It is generally quite hard to get rentals for dogs so good luck with that. As Genesis said Palmy is a great place to live. We came here 13 years ago after living in Auckland for many years and really like it. Don't miss Orcland (or the traffic) at all. So many cafes and restaurants here all within walking distance (depending on where you live). I regularly go out to the movies and then dinner in town and walk home by myself and don't feel scared. Palmy is def not a holiday destination but is a great place to live and as mentioned above housing is very affordable. Good luck with the possible move!?! Palmy is very dog friendly, I've got dogs and there are a plethora of off leash parks and reserves, much more than Auckland (so I am told by a friend). The only time I put my dogs on a leash is when I am doing a street walk.
Thank you!
Yes, it hasn't been easy finding dog friendly rentals in Auckland, so we know we're in for a challenge. That's the hardest bit of moving, hoping the timings all work out and we don't end up jobless and homeless!

Bear us in mind if anything changes, we're planning on the first week of May and are very responsible!!

Thanks again!

Last edited by clairesw; Mar 5th 2017 at 5:56 pm. Reason: Correcting typo
Old Mar 13th 2017, 9:50 am
Forum Regular

Quick update...it's on, we're moving to Palmy.
Last week I told my boss and he's been a complete dick about it which had taken some of the shine off. (Apologies for naughty word)
Still, onwards and upwards...

Next big stressor is finding a rental...can anyone recommend good agents for finding pet friendly places in Palmy? We can't get to viewings and I'm worried we'll end up living in the car!

Thank you for any suggestions.
Old Mar 14th 2017, 5:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Quick update...it's on, we're moving to Palmy.
Last week I told my boss and he's been a complete dick about it which had taken some of the shine off. (Apologies for naughty word)
Still, onwards and upwards...

Next big stressor is finding a rental...can anyone recommend good agents for finding pet friendly places in Palmy? We can't get to viewings and I'm worried we'll end up living in the car!

Thank you for any suggestions.
Property Brokers is probably the best.
Old Mar 14th 2017, 6:58 am
Forum Regular

DennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud of

Since moving up to Kapiti i've done a couple of day trips to Palmy. I heard bad things about it being dull - but i found the opposite.

1. Lots of Art Deco buildings in Palmy. Never heard anyone mention it, always hear of Napier but Palmy has loads of lovely Art Deco in CBD.
2. Te Manawa Museum - from many of the regional museums i've seen this one is very good - and free. Didnt bother with Rugby Museum
3. Feels like a proper city - when we went up last there was some festival in the square and loads of people from all walks about.
Old Mar 14th 2017, 10:00 am
Forum Regular

Bumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really nice

Here are some pet friendly ones from Trade Me today Property search results - Find real estate on Trade Me Property
Old Mar 14th 2017, 8:00 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you all you lovely people!
I think drinks might be on me when the new micro brewery opens!!
Old Mar 14th 2017, 10:32 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you all you lovely people!
I think drinks might be on me when the new micro brewery opens!!
Apparently it's already opened but it doesn't look like it (according to one of my workmates who visited on weekend). Yep sounds good to me. Would be great to meet up when you finally arrive in Balmy Palmy. Genesis is a friend of mine too!?!?!?

Last edited by Bumptious; Mar 14th 2017 at 10:35 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.