British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Moving to Oz with NZ citizenship (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/moving-oz-nz-citizenship-926455/)

vetnurse1 Jul 16th 2019 3:33 am

Moving to Oz with NZ citizenship

Good afternoon, haven't been on the forums for a year or so but now the circle has turned once again and I find myself wanting desperately to get out of NZ (for about the 5th time in 14 years). We have thought of moving back to the UK but to be honest I think we would regret it after a couple of years (??). I'm not sure we could cope with the weather among other things and we don't have a lot of family to move back for now. My other half is really keen to go to Oz and give it a try but I have a few misgivings. Firstly we wouldn't be able to get a skilled migrant visa or whatever it's called, so we would have to wing it on our NZ Citizenship. That worries me for a start because Australia seem to have a habit of changing immigration rules at the drop of a hat, and it would worry me that I'd never feel it was permanent (especially if we liked it). Then there is the sheer effort and expense of relocating with pets (3 dogs, a cat....) and trying to find a rental that will allow them. I'm just wondering if other people have relocated just on NZ citizenship and how it went. We'd be looking at outer Brisbane or possibly Cairns. I could continue doing my current job there for about a year, husband would have to find a job painting (houses, not pictures). Or should we try somewhere else in NZ (we have lived in Auckland, (can't afford to go back), Dunedin, rural Otago and now North Canterbury, which is one of the unfriendliest places I've ever lived).

Or perhaps we'd be better to go back to the UK and hopefully 'settle' once and for all.

I know this is a recurring theme with a lot of people who have been here for some years but we are so bored in NZ. I just feel life is passing us by and I'm so frustrated to be sitting here typing this years after the last time I said we were fed up with being here!

BEVS Jul 16th 2019 4:14 am

Re: Moving to Oz with NZ citizenship

Originally Posted by vetnurse1 (Post 12710884)
Good afternoon, haven't been on the forums for a year or so but now the circle has turned once again and I find myself wanting desperately to get out of NZ (for about the 5th time in 14 years). We have thought of moving back to the UK but to be honest I think we would regret it after a couple of years (??). I'm not sure we could cope with the weather among other things and we don't have a lot of family to move back for now. My other half is really keen to go to Oz and give it a try but I have a few misgivings. Firstly we wouldn't be able to get a skilled migrant visa or whatever it's called, so we would have to wing it on our NZ Citizenship. That worries me for a start because Australia seem to have a habit of changing immigration rules at the drop of a hat, and it would worry me that I'd never feel it was permanent (especially if we liked it). Then there is the sheer effort and expense of relocating with pets (3 dogs, a cat....) and trying to find a rental that will allow them. I'm just wondering if other people have relocated just on NZ citizenship and how it went. We'd be looking at outer Brisbane or possibly Cairns. I could continue doing my current job there for about a year, husband would have to find a job painting (houses, not pictures). Or should we try somewhere else in NZ (we have lived in Auckland, (can't afford to go back), Dunedin, rural Otago and now North Canterbury, which is one of the unfriendliest places I've ever lived).

Or perhaps we'd be better to go back to the UK and hopefully 'settle' once and for all.

I know this is a recurring theme with a lot of people who have been here for some years but we are so bored in NZ. I just feel life is passing us by and I'm so frustrated to be sitting here typing this years after the last time I said we were fed up with being here!

Hey up. We're on our 15th year now. If it hadn't been for our (my) ages I would have given Oz a punt.

If you haven't already go to the Australia Immigration forum and ask about visas and stuff there. There will be folk in OZ that came through from NZ.

carcajou Jul 16th 2019 8:51 am

Please post this only once. You have posted the same thread in both forums.

Pollyana Jul 16th 2019 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by carcajou (Post 12710937)

To be fair, that's what Admin advised them to do.......

vetnurse1 Jul 16th 2019 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by carcajou (Post 12710937)

Thank you Pollyanna, just doing as I was told :confused:

BEVS Jul 16th 2019 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by vetnurse1 (Post 12711195)
Thank you Pollyanna, just doing as I was told :confused:

You're fine vetnurse1.
Hope you get some thoughts re Oz visas etc.

Our Hungarian friends just moved over to Oz. They must be in their late 40's/early 50's now but they have taken the leap. Same went for a couple we knew a few years ago. They left for Tasmania.
It was the age thing that held me in check. I would also have wanted the security blanket of a residency status if there had been a route to strive for that. Looking back though we should have just given it a go for a couple of years & moved in with Polly.

Pollyana Jul 17th 2019 6:04 am

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 12711202)
You're fine vetnurse1.
Hope you get some thoughts re Oz visas etc.

Our Hungarian friends just moved over to Oz. They must be in their late 40's/early 50's now but they have taken the leap. Same went for a couple we knew a few years ago. They left for Tasmania.
It was the age thing that held me in check. I would also have wanted the security blanket of a residency status if there had been a route to strive for that. Looking back though we should have just given it a go for a couple of years & moved in with Polly.

:thumbup: I'll be here another 9 years if you want to camp i my sitting room!

spouse of scouse Jul 17th 2019 6:56 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 12711275)
:thumbup: I'll be here another 9 years if you want to camp i my sitting room!

If you get paying guests you might be able to go home quicker!