Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Moving over without a Job - BEWARE

Moving over without a Job - BEWARE

Old May 23rd 2007, 6:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

phil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to behold
Exclamation Moving over without a Job - BEWARE

Hi everyone,
we are already living in NZ but hubby is on a work visa and has just changed jobs so I had to ring NZ immigration yesterday to sort it out....whilst I was doing so they told me....the processing time for a work visa is currently three and a half months!!!

I know there are a few people looking to move over here, get a job whilst over here then get their visas, if you are coming any time soon and that is what you intend to do it would be advisable to check the processing times as you cannot work without your visa so bring plenty of money to live on until it comes through....in the UK the processing time is a week!!
Old May 23rd 2007, 7:50 pm
Just Joined

AlienWannabe is a jewel in the roughAlienWannabe is a jewel in the roughAlienWannabe is a jewel in the roughAlienWannabe is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Moving over without a Job - BEWARE

Thanks Phil. I am very grateful to this post and the one in the Immigration section by Little Toe called "For those going over on tourist visa".
I plan to arrive in NZ in mid November. I was going to leave getting the Skilled Migrant Worker stuff (IT) done on arrival because its hard to get a job offer without the work Visa and without meeting face to face and I won't get enough point without a job offer.
Time to start rethinking.....
Old May 23rd 2007, 9:07 pm

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by phil01
Hi everyone,
we are already living in NZ but hubby is on a work visa and has just changed jobs so I had to ring NZ immigration yesterday to sort it out....whilst I was doing so they told me....the processing time for a work visa is currently three and a half months!!!
Not directly related to visas but I was in a situation last year where I needed a NZ Government Department to do something for me and was told it would take 5 weeks. I played the 'pushy middle-class card' and sent a few faxes and made a few phonecalls and had the whole thing done in two days.

Or you could try folding some money...
Old May 23rd 2007, 9:20 pm
Forum Regular

minky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really nice

keep in mind that they start winding down in Dec for the summer hols and christmas
Old May 23rd 2007, 10:16 pm
Just Joined

wimsy is an unknown quantity at this point

weird, hubby got his the same day!
Old May 23rd 2007, 10:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

phil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by wimsy
weird, hubby got his the same day!
Hi Wimsy,
when did your hubby get his visa?
Old May 23rd 2007, 10:26 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

That's weird. The last work permits we applied for we had them stuck in our passports while chatting to the nice immigration lady. This was in Christchurch, so perhaps it is different from office to office.
Old May 23rd 2007, 10:33 pm
WAS bored stiff in USA

cyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud of

We went into NZIS in Christchurch & got our visa's renewed within 2 hrs & that included sitting waiting for 1 1/2 hrs. This was just 2 months ago. It might be quicker if you can go into immigration rather than sending it to them.
Old May 23rd 2007, 10:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

I just rang the general helpline number over here and that was what I was told....I shall ring again tomorrow and if it is possible to get sorted by sitting in a queue I am happy to do that...but yesterday it was a three and a half month wait! I don't even mind if I have to go to Chch to get it sorted! I will post again tmoz if I get more info.
Old May 23rd 2007, 10:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi,
couldn't wait until tomorrow so just rang them. Chch used to have a sit and wait policy but no longer have one, their waiting time is two and a half months, our branch is Auckland so is the three and a half months.
Old May 23rd 2007, 11:35 pm
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

My experience is that Govt departments in NZ tend to undersell their turnaround times, and then significantly over deliver.

Also I think I read that if you have a job offer your application goes to the top of the pile automatically, and would normally be turned around in less than 2 weeks.
Old May 24th 2007, 12:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Spacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AlienWannabe
Thanks Phil. I am very grateful to this post and the one in the Immigration section by Little Toe called "For those going over on tourist visa".
I plan to arrive in NZ in mid November. I was going to leave getting the Skilled Migrant Worker stuff (IT) done on arrival because its hard to get a job offer without the work Visa and without meeting face to face and I won't get enough point without a job offer.
Time to start rethinking.....
Hi,
Just wanted to add the same as someone else said about Immigration winding down. We came over in November 06 on a visitors visa. OH works in IT and was offered a job within the week. By the time we submitted our application it was the week before xmas. We did'nt get the work permit until Jan 18th as no one was there to process. I really would advise coming earlier than Nov or waiting until Jan unless your happy with a long time out of work.
What do you do in IT?
Carole
Old May 24th 2007, 12:15 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by phil01
Hi,
couldn't wait until tomorrow so just rang them. Chch used to have a sit and wait policy but no longer have one, their waiting time is two and a half months, our branch is Auckland so is the three and a half months.

Try Hamilton and Dunedin too if you're desperate Phil
Old May 24th 2007, 12:18 am
BE Enthusiast

dlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of light

My work is trying to organise a work permit for a new employee and the wait has been 2 weeks - and they're a Preferred Employer with the NZIS too.

Definately be prepared for a wait if you're applying through Auckland - there's one mother of a backlog.
Old May 24th 2007, 12:25 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Well I'm glad there were some responses after the OP. Also very relieved that the wait is only about 2 weeks with a job offer, that's more like it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.