British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Moving our belongings to New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/moving-our-belongings-new-zealand-930161/)

grintwice Jan 5th 2020 10:23 am

Moving our belongings to New Zealand

Hi,
Me and my Family will be heading off to The land of the long white cloud as soon as my Visa comes through. Looking for some advise on Company's to use to get all our belongings over there. We will be moving to Otaki which is about an hour north of Wellington...

Any advise would be greatly appreciated

Neil.

escapedtonz Jan 6th 2020 12:27 am

Re: Moving our belongings to New Zealand

Originally Posted by grintwice (Post 12785376)
Hi,
Me and my Family will be heading off to The land of the long white cloud as soon as my Visa comes through. Looking for some advise on Company's to use to get all our belongings over there. We will be moving to Otaki which is about an hour north of Wellington...

Any advise would be greatly appreciated

Neil.

Get at least 3 quotes. They all do things a bit differently. Go with who you feel most comfortable with and the one cutting the least corners to give you the lowest price. We went with PSS who were in the middle price wise. Just felt like they knew what they were doing. They did everything inc all packing. Didn't have any issues. They sub contracted to NZ Van Lines this end who were also good. Make sure your container is well insured for any loss/damage/breakages....it happens. The removals or shipping company insurance is really expensive. Get quotes from Letton Percival in Liverpool. Better cover and half the price.
If you have anything that you must have as soon as you're in NZ - eg a cot or clothing/shoes that arent going as luggage or sports gear etc, then send that airfreight - takes around 2 weeks but means you have it asap.
Don't push it on the checked baggage allowance from airline. They've seen & heard it all before and dont care that you're migrating. You may get away with an extra bag in the UK but other countries will sting you big time if you're overweight.

Justcol Jan 6th 2020 6:40 am

11 years ago I used Crown. They were very good and delivered to our door, unlike some who will not tell you, but will use a different delivery company in NZ. Crown are a huge global moving company with depots all over NZ so you if anything goes wrong (it didn't for us) you are dealing with just one company.

Get a few quotes and don't be afraid to tell the higher ones that they have been out bid, and ask them if they can beat it. We saved quite a few hundred ££ doing this

katie8383 Jan 7th 2020 6:26 am

Hey, would agree on getting a few quotes first and see who you feel comfortable with. We used Crown Relocations and had no issues at all, would recommend them.

Oldsmokey Jan 8th 2020 10:26 am

Heya,

Just joined the forum and in the same boat. I got in touch with PSS and was very impressed. They come around and did a free estimate and the guy was super knowledgeable and had an answer for any query. They are based in Croydon while I am in Putney so pretty local.
Price seemed very reasonable to me. To ship 6 vintage motorcycles and my household possessions door to door in Auckland was cheaper than it's costing to ship my little Staffie.

MrsFychan Jan 10th 2020 8:32 am

we used PSS also and Letton Percival for the insurance