Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

moving to NZ...Yes i know more newbie Q's

moving to NZ...Yes i know more newbie Q's

Old Sep 23rd 2007, 6:23 pm
Just Joined

MikeAndAli is an unknown quantity at this point
Default moving to NZ...Yes i know more newbie Q's

Myself and the missus have had enough of the UK and are looking to move to NZ.

Where do you start ????

We are both 40 (IT Manager (degree educated) and Travel manager) and have a 1 year old.

We will have about £60-70k and yes we will sell the house.

No family ties and in need of a life change

Any pointers would be very welcome.

Is it easier to move to NZ and then get a job ???

Thanks
Mike and Ali
Old Sep 23rd 2007, 6:33 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice
Default Re: moving to NZ...Yes i know more newbie Q's

Originally Posted by MikeAndAli
Do you really want to come to New Zealand specifically or is your greater desire to escape the UK? Just askin' is all.

Where do you start ????

We are both 40 (IT Manager (degree educated) and Travel manager) and have a 1 year old.

No family ties and in need of a life change.

It sounds as if you have marketable skills. Is your degree in Computer Science? If not, you might have a few obstacles. Not insurmountable, but you will have to zig zag a bit.

I think it depends on your circumstances. It appears that many have had better results by coming out here to get the job they need for immigration purposes.

Thanks
Mike and Ali
Good luck Mike and Ali.
Old Sep 23rd 2007, 7:06 pm
patience...is a virtue!!!

reecefam has a brilliant futurereecefam has a brilliant futurereecefam has a brilliant futurereecefam has a brilliant futurereecefam has a brilliant futurereecefam has a brilliant future
Post Re: moving to NZ...Yes i know more newbie Q's

Where do you start ????

No family ties and in need of a life change

Thanks
Mike and Ali
Hi,
As and when you decide on NZ...you would need to file an EOI, within the NZ Immigration website...you can do this on-line. It may be worth going on the website and check on how many "points" you would have, this will give you an indication on how good a chance you had of getting selected from the "pool" off applicants...anywhere over 125 points should see you selected.
There are a lot more guys on here whom are knowledgeable and will advise you better...but the above is the first steps...
Good luck on whichever way you go...
Old Sep 23rd 2007, 8:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

Come out and have a look first-then follow the steps above,and move to Wellington.
Old Sep 23rd 2007, 8:28 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by reecefam
Hi,
As and when you decide on NZ...you would need to file an EOI, within the NZ Immigration website...you can do this on-line. It may be worth going on the website and check on how many "points" you would have, this will give you an indication on how good a chance you had of getting selected from the "pool" off applicants...anywhere over 125 points should see you selected.
There are a lot more guys on here whom are knowledgeable and will advise you better...but the above is the first steps...
Good luck on whichever way you go...
Not necessarily so... I tried that route. Am also in IT. Eight years' experience. Can't go the EOI route as my degree is not a B.Sc. in Computer Science. So I'm going the Work To Residence (commonly known as WTR on here and the NZIS website).

Best of luck!
Old Sep 23rd 2007, 8:28 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by danny.f
Come out and have a look first-then follow the steps above, and move to Wellington.
Definitely!
Old Sep 23rd 2007, 10:38 pm
Forum Regular

Squidge is just really niceSquidge is just really niceSquidge is just really niceSquidge is just really niceSquidge is just really niceSquidge is just really niceSquidge is just really niceSquidge is just really niceSquidge is just really niceSquidge is just really niceSquidge is just really nice

Hi ya

I would really come over for a look first, one thing I have found is that you are so isolated over here, ie a long way from anywhere.

I woudl also say never believe the grass is greener, my OH is a kiwi and we came here two years ago and thankfully we are going back home in February.

NZ is a great place to visit and I am glad I tried it but I really miss my friends, the shopping, the holidays of Europe.

I have found the driving here dreadful, the shopping boring, making friends difficult unless they are expats, who when pressed seem to feel the same way as me. Even one couple we have met, been here 15 years, won't go back as they would have to admit they had made a mistake, how sad is that !!!

As I said do try it but don't make it a one way ticket, leave something behind to come back to. BEST OF LUCK
Old Sep 23rd 2007, 11:08 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Squidge
Hi ya

I would really come over for a look first, one thing I have found is that you are so isolated over here, ie a long way from anywhere.
Spot on in that New Zealand is a long long way from more heavily populated areas in the world. But hey, it's on the same blue marble, eh?

I would also say never believe the grass is greener,
It is greener here than where I come from. My childhood neighbourhood would only get about 100mls of rain per year!

...my OH is a kiwi and we came here two years ago and thankfully we are going back home in February.
I'm sorry, but this doesn't make any sense to me.

NZ is a great place to visit and I am glad I tried it but I really miss my friends, the shopping, the holidays of Europe.
So, it hasn't worked out for you.

I have found the driving here dreadful, the shopping boring, making friends difficult unless they are expats, who when pressed seem to feel the same way as me.
Misery loves company. I'm sure I'd rather slash my wrists than spend a whole day with people moaning about inconsequential bullshit like boring shopping.

As I said do try it but don't make it a one way ticket, leave something behind to come back to. BEST OF LUCK
I wish you good luck on your return to wherever it is that makes you content.

edit: sorry squidge, nothing personal. I guess this morning I ought to be grouchynz.

Last edited by happynz; Sep 23rd 2007 at 11:25 pm.
Old Sep 24th 2007, 7:48 am
Just Joined

MikeAndAli is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all your comments.

My Degree is a B.Sc and i will look at the NZ website (EOI) once it's up and running.

Can any IT person give some advise on finding an IT job (websites) i have a vast amount of skills (DR, Vmware, Citrix etc etc) and have just completed an ITIL v3 course.

We also haven't ruled out OZ but our preference is NZ.

(I will post the same post to the OZ thread to see what the feedback is )

The UK just isn't the place it was and not the future we want for our daughter and we live in Cornwall which isn't the worse place to live in the UK

Thanks Again
Mike
Old Sep 24th 2007, 8:08 am
Forum Regular

wilekit is a jewel in the roughwilekit is a jewel in the roughwilekit is a jewel in the roughwilekit is a jewel in the roughwilekit is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for all your comments.

The UK just isn't the place it was and not the future we want for our daughter and we live in Cornwall which isn't the worse place to live in the UK

Thanks Again
Mike
spot on. We're moving out next March, with our 2 monkeys, who are both under 4. The UK isn't a good place to raise kids, I don't think. If shopping and holidays to spain every year are important, then don't go. Freinds who've made the move to NZ have told us that the expats who don't make it are the ones who can't seem to make the break from home, and hanker after what they can't have in NZ. Its a question of what you want from life I suppose - hey, even if you have to come back, at least you tried? Its better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't

Good luck!
Old Sep 24th 2007, 8:19 am
Jen

jenjag will become famous soon enoughjenjag will become famous soon enough

Hi Mike and Ali,

If your looking for a position in I.T then i'd move to Auckland and not Wellington. Im in sales, and there is a lot more opportunities for me in Auckland and surrounding areas. I also sell to clients in Wellington, but its mainly just government.

Anyone who doesnt live in Auckland will tell you not to move here as its "not really" New Zealand and its the same as the UK. They couldnt be more wrong. Auckland is probably the same size as Sheffield.

Plus, we have the beaches 15 minutes outside the city. Its great.
Old Sep 24th 2007, 9:47 am
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jenjag
Hi Mike and Ali,

If your looking for a position in I.T then i'd move to Auckland and not Wellington. Im in sales, and there is a lot more opportunities for me in Auckland and surrounding areas. I also sell to clients in Wellington, but its mainly just government.

Anyone who doesnt live in Auckland will tell you not to move here as its "not really" New Zealand and its the same as the UK. They couldnt be more wrong. Auckland is probably the same size as Sheffield.

Plus, we have the beaches 15 minutes outside the city. Its great.
It's 3 x the size of Sheffield & almost 3 x the population.

I.T jobs are available countrywide