British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Moving to NZ soon! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/moving-nz-soon-929090/)

ozzy1963 Nov 5th 2019 5:16 pm

Moving to NZ soon!

Hi ,
Me and my wife and dogs are emigrating to New Zealand next month, but despite now being registered as a primary teacher in New Zealand, she hasn't managed to secure a job,despite being registered with teaching agencies for months.

We will be staying initially at Coatesville near Albany!

Andy Hammond.

MrsFychan Nov 6th 2019 6:55 am

Re: Moving to NZ soon!

Hi Andy and welcome to our little corner of BE

As you are probably aware school years go from late January to December so I would expect that she may find positions being advertised in the next few weeks for next year.
maybe have a look on https://gazette.education.govt.nz/vacancies/ to see if there is anything in/near your area.

She could also register as a relief teacher and that may also give her a foot in the door if any jobs come up.

escapedtonz Nov 9th 2019 9:28 am

From what I hear on the grapevine it is really difficult to get in to teaching unless you are here in person. More who you know and not what you know. Very likely a person will have to volunteer or initially work as a teaching assistant to get a foot in the door until an opportunity for a permanent position opens up. Also seems to be lots of youngsters making their way through university nowadays training to be teachers. Our school tends to have regular trainee teacher placements.
Bit of a rocky industry to be in at the moment also with teacher strikes, arguing with the government about pay and conditions and I don't think it is all resolved yet ?

mexnick Nov 12th 2019 6:23 am

Hi
my wife is a primary school teacher, we arrived from the UK a couple of months ago and are coincidentally living very close to coatesville. She secured a job before moving out, might have been because of time of year but she found several suitable potemtial jobs very easily? She suggested the education Gazette as mentioned in previous post. Are you only looking for work in the coatesville area? My wife was looking at the whole of auckland in general, just luck that she got a job not too far from mine so made finding a place to live more straight forward.
my wife reckons more jobs will start to appear as the academic year draws to a close next month so just keep looking I guess. Her impression is that teachers are just as sought after here as they are in the UK so you'll hopefully see more coming up soon.
PM me if you want any personal advice from a newly arrived perspective particularly in regards to the teaching environment generally. We haven't been here long but happy to give our limited opinion so far.
good luck

PittwaterPrincess Nov 30th 2019 5:42 am

Originally Posted by ozzy1963 (Post 12759357)
she hasn't managed to secure a job,despite being registered with teaching agencies for months.

Hi Andy

It is MUCH easier to get jobs whilst in the actual country.

So much more so then just being registered on a website

Don't worry. A positive and can-do attitude will take her far.

Best to have interviews in person, as so many "weirdos" in cyberspace

Good luck

BEVS Dec 2nd 2019 2:28 am

Originally Posted by PittwaterPrincess (Post 12771658)
Hi Andy

It is MUCH easier to get jobs whilst in the actual country.

So much more so then just being registered on a website

Don't worry. A positive and can-do attitude will take her far.

Best to have interviews in person, as so many "weirdos" in cyberspace

Good luck

I don't think you understand quite how it works here in New Zealand. Whilst it is always a truth that being in a country when applying for a job is better than being outside of the country obtaining a full time teaching position in NZ can be very tough as one is up against the home growns. For years there has been a glut of primary school teachers in the country resulting in many qualified teachers chasing too few positions. Now the occupation is on the regional shortage list so the chances are far better.

The suggestion to keep an eye on the NZ Gazette is a good and important one. It is not a website for weirdos at all. It is an NZ government website dedicated to the NZ teaching profession. I would also agree with MexNick that more positions may become available as the school year draws to a close.

If the OP and his partner are able to live and work in New Zealand without her having to have full time work as a primary school teacher ( I am thinking visa status here ) then she should look to do relief work or volunteer at a school in the hope of gaining a one year contract. From that it could lead to full time and permanent.