British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Moving to NZ (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/moving-nz-682831/)

Rich2010 Aug 26th 2010 8:15 am

Moving to NZ

Anyone going to, or already moved to NZ, get your possessions moved out for you? I am wandering if it's worth buying some housing goods here and having them shipped out.

I will be applying to the Ambulance Service but unsure if they would pay for the move.:blink:

joannii Aug 26th 2010 10:17 am

Re: Moving to NZ

Other people might be more knowledgeable, but I read that you have to be careful shipping new goods, as they can charge you tax on them as they have no proof that you are using it for yourself and not just bringing it into the country to sell.

:confused:

Moses65 Aug 26th 2010 11:02 am

You need to check the info on the NZ Customs website. You can bring your possessions over but it needs to be used goods or you get clobbered for import duty.
Have you contacted St Johns for advise on positions and moving to NZ as they should be able to advise on the qualifications needed and how to get any UK ones assessed for employment purposes in NZ.
Im a nurse so can only say from nursing side and even UK nurses now need to do IELTS test to prove you can speak English.

concretepump Aug 26th 2010 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by Rich2010 (Post 8804322)
Anyone going to, or already moved to NZ, get your possessions moved out for you? I am wandering if it's worth buying some housing goods here and having them shipped out.

I will be applying to the Ambulance Service but unsure if they would pay for the move.:blink:

if your going to buy new , i think your better off to buy in nz you get guarantees, if it gos wrong you can get it fixed where as takeing things from uk theres no guaranrees, there will be loads of people on here who will say take everything but look on trademe and see prices for your self

nzmoonlight Aug 27th 2010 9:58 am

In hindsight, I would have prefered to have bought new back in Uk, use if possible for a short while and then ship over with me. I left all white goods at home and spent a fortune getting them all over again...cost more and they were terrible models also.

Rich2010 Aug 28th 2010 8:15 am

This is my dilema!

My reason for thinking of getting things here now is to get them worn in a bit to avoid the import tax. Family over in NZ have said that electronic and furniture goods are more expensive and, to be honest, I would rather spend money on securing a nice roof over my families head and settling in. With St Johns not commiting it's a gamble of taking the risk buying here and hoping they pay the shipping cost. If paid by me,that would not outway the reduced prices in the UK.

I have spoken to St Johns and Ambulance New Zealand and got my qualifications appraised with recommendations. Both are a little vague when it comes to other questions as I have not applied for a job yet - going to start the visa process shortly.

I know there is a lot yet to happen but I like to think ahead.

alchris Aug 30th 2010 10:40 pm

Having only been here a month we have just bought a 150L chest freezer for $299 about £150 didnt think that was expensive, but was down from $499! But from what we have seen things are more expensive here. Same as food certain things seem cheaper but than you find it a smaller quantity. We brought all of our white goods and only had one fridge that seems to not be working(but it had been unused for 8 months. If you can find goods in sales in the UK I would say ship them over, but check they work first.

Rich2010 Sep 2nd 2010 7:08 am

I think that is the way we will go. The stuff you did ship - was it expensive?

Your visa process seems to have gone through quickly. Were you on the skills shortage list? What is the WTR?

Him and Me Sep 3rd 2010 7:46 am

Hi,

We brought brand new stuff over with us..(good old Tesco's) and just unwrapped it and asembled it up then got the movers to re-wrap it in there cardboard boxes....we brought a brand new bed, 2 side tables, sofa and 2 chairs...they guys just packed it straight on to there lorry and re-wrapped it for us in there logo packaging :thumbsup: Naughty i know but saved us a bloody furtune!!!!;)

sirplug Sep 3rd 2010 8:00 am

We bought new stuff over, just made sure we took them out of the wrapper and had the shipping company wrap them in their packing, so as to look as if they were cared for items!

Rich2010 Sep 5th 2010 3:26 pm

I think that is the way we will go. Did you all fill a container or put your belongings into a group container?

What was the cost? I have been in touch with a shipping company and was quoted £4000 for a 20 foot container. Not sure how much a group shipping will be.

Toon_Nut Sep 5th 2010 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by Rich2010 (Post 8827723)
What was the cost? I have been in touch with a shipping company and was quoted £4000 for a 20 foot container. Not sure how much a group shipping will be.

Alright, where ya going?

We're looking at just shy of £3.5k from Newcastle to Hamilton door to door, I'd off thought from the smoke it would be cheeper, depending upon your final destination obviously?

Snap Shot Sep 5th 2010 8:26 pm

Pickfords quoted £3,300. Anglo Pacific Quoted £3,800. Both for a 20 Foot container. To go from Surrey to Christchurch. I think insurance will be extra too. :eek:
Don't know about groupage as we now know we need our own container. There's MAF inspection fees on arrival too, plus further cost for bringing it from the port to you.
Thought about getting white goods to use then ship to NZ but just don't have the money in the face of all the other moving costs. We rent the washing machine so have to let the rental go & ask them to come get it. The gas cooker isn't coming as it's 15 years old and gas isn't that prevalent in NZ. The only white goods we have is a fridge freezer that's 4 years old. I can't be worrying about the cost of 'stuff' either here or there. I tell myself it'll all come good in the end. :blink:

Rich2010 Sep 6th 2010 1:39 am

Anglo Pacific was the £4000 quote. They told me that they would pack the flat for us, ship the container then unpack at the end. The cost moving it from the port seems a little cheeky. What was the quote for that one?:frown:

As we rent he white goods are not ours which is why I was thinking of doing what others have done and buy here.

My other thought was to rent for the first year a settle in then buy at the same time as a house.

I had no idea there are fees for inspection also. Glad you mentioned that one! There is a lot to save for hey?

Boopy Sep 6th 2010 7:46 am

4 years ago when we moved we used Crown, not the cheapest! We moved a 3 bedroom house worth of stuff (a 20' container plus a bit). To think our gear was shipped 12,500 miles & arrived with nothing missing & nothing broken at all. The beauty with Crown is, that they don't sub contract as they have depots in NZ. So, if you were in a position where something was missing or broken, they have no one else to pass the buck to. I believe it's worth the extra for peace of mind. We paid $5,000 for a full door to door service, which included a packaging service for everything including all breakables.

Also in answer to another thread, if you ship anything new, not a prob... just take it out of it's original package.