British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Moving to NZ (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/moving-nz-400542/)

Dilan Oct 5th 2006 5:02 pm

Moving to NZ

Hi there

I'm sure this question has been cained to death, so apologies in advance ;) , but me and my OH were thinking of moving to NZ and was wondering what people's real life experiences were, as opposed to what you read on the immigration websites.

I work in IT...at the moment, I am a Network Manager in London overseeing a small team of network administrators. I have a non-IT Uni degree, and several tertiary qualifications such as Microsoft MCP's and Cisco CCNA. I'm on the equivalent of £38,000 in London now.

OH works in Occupation Therapy for the NHS, but has no qualifications. She is on £20,000.

London is just getting far too expensive, esp the housing and travel, and I can't see any corresponding increase in quality. In fact, it's just getting worse.

We have friends in NZ (and family) and were thinking of moving over for a year to see how it goes.

i) What is the traffic/congestion like in Auckland/Wellington?
ii) For jobs, does Auckland have more opportunities, or is it Wellington?
iii) Would my OH be able to get a job in the Health service, or are qualifications a necessity over experience?
iv) What are the tax levels like?
v) What is the cost of renting/buying a 2 bed flat in Auck/Wellington
vi) Any disadvantages of moving to NZ that people come across?

Thanks so much in advance!

newkiwi Oct 5th 2006 8:19 pm

Re: Moving to NZ

Originally Posted by Dilan
Hi there

I'm sure this question has been cained to death, so apologies in advance ;) , but me and my OH were thinking of moving to NZ and was wondering what people's real life experiences were, as opposed to what you read on the immigration websites.

I work in IT...at the moment, I am a Network Manager in London overseeing a small team of network administrators. I have a non-IT Uni degree, and several tertiary qualifications such as Microsoft MCP's and Cisco CCNA. I'm on the equivalent of £38,000 in London now.

OH works in Occupation Therapy for the NHS, but has no qualifications. She is on £20,000.

London is just getting far too expensive, esp the housing and travel, and I can't see any corresponding increase in quality. In fact, it's just getting worse.

We have friends in NZ (and family) and were thinking of moving over for a year to see how it goes.

iii) Would my OH be able to get a job in the Health service, or are qualifications a necessity over experience?

Hi and welcome to the forum. Cant help with allt he questions, but will do my best.

1 Traffic congestion is increasing in auckland, especially if you have to commute over teh harbour bridge from the north shore to the cbd. the government is promising to spend loads on roads int he next ten years, but nz has a shortage of resources to deliver all the projects. however it isnt uk-congestion. wellington is fine and is the one city in nz that actually has a functioning public transport system.

2. auckland has more job opportunities but wellington is pretty good for jobs as well. check out seek.co.nz for job opportunities

3. i dont know, contact one of the health boards perhaps to see what he's options are

4. over 60k pa marginal tax rate is 39%, up to 60k is 33% and below (i think something like 20k) is 19%. You pay at least 19% from the very first cent
!
so if you were earning 80k you would pay 19% on the first 20, 33% on th eamount between 20 and 60 and 39% on the last 20 thousand. check out sorted.org for things financial (maybe sorted.org.nz i cant remember now)

5. costs very on suburb. check out realenz.co.nz We are paying $340 per week for a nice two bed townhouse 15 min from wellington cbd. in auckland rents are more, look at 400 and up per week for a nice two bed place not too far from town. the further away you look the more you get for your money.
buying varies too, no much on offer under 400k unless your looking at downtown 1 bed apartments or houses quite some distance from town.

5 Main disadvantage for me is that nz feels isolated compared to europe, the distance from auckland to sydney is about the same as the distance from london to athens, and consider that nz is roughly the smae size as the uk with only 4 million population. tv is sh##te too, and apparently so is the standard of shopping (better half says so, what do i know)...but... you have friendly folk, pretty mountains, probably going to live within 30 min of several spectacular beaches, have great retaurants to choose from without having to spend a fortune, most likely not encounter snobbishness or pretentiousness...so there are plusses too.

Am Loolah Oct 6th 2006 10:36 pm

Hi there

Had to reply because my youngest daughter is called Dilan - spelt the same and we've never come across another!

Try www.seek.co.nz for jobs, seem to cover most areas.

sunshine_and_rain Oct 7th 2006 10:11 pm

Hi there

OH would defo get a job. Consider the smaller cities as well - everyone gets so hung up on Auckland, its a pretty city, but the rest of NZ is much prettier IMHO. Auckland is a large sprawling metropolis, other places are smaller but not so busy or bogged down with traffic. NZ is a great place to live. Over the last 4v years it has become expensive to live here also. Do not compare costs in pounds as you will be earning dollars - and your salary probably (almost certainly) not as high as the UK. When we fisrt arrived 4 years ago everything was way cheaper than it is now. Food bills have gone up, petrol, electric and Gas as well as house prices and rates. Many people I know that have immigrated say they are not better off financially - but as far as lifestyl goes - they definately are. :)

Dilan Oct 8th 2006 12:48 pm

Thanks everyone for their replies...much appreciated. There's a NZ Expo at Earl's court next weekend, so will check that out too and see what the score is regarding work out there.

I don't think I'd go to Auckland though...too much like London, Wellington would be much more my scene ;)

Am Loolah - good choice on name ;) :)

mumomonty Oct 9th 2006 7:48 am

Originally Posted by sunshine_and_rain
OH would defo get a job. Consider the smaller cities as well - everyone gets so hung up on Auckland, its a pretty city, but the rest of NZ is much prettier IMHO. Auckland is a large sprawling metropolis, other places are smaller but not so busy or bogged down with traffic. NZ is a great place to live. Over the last 4v years it has become expensive to live here also. Do not compare costs in pounds as you will be earning dollars - and your salary probably (almost certainly) not as high as the UK. When we fisrt arrived 4 years ago everything was way cheaper than it is now. Food bills have gone up, petrol, electric and Gas as well as house prices and rates. Many people I know that have immigrated say they are not better off financially - but as far as lifestyl goes - they definately are. :)

Pretty??????????????????????? Jesus I think it is horrible - no centre - no heart. Hate the place. It's like London back streets in places. It feels like London in the 70's. IMO. Which parts are pretty? I might visit it again...

newkiwi Oct 9th 2006 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by mumomonty
Pretty??????????????????????? Jesus I think it is horrible - no centre - no heart. Hate the place. It's like London back streets in places. It feels like London in the 70's. IMO. Which parts are pretty? I might visit it again...

driving south approaching the harbour bridge you have a great view of the cbd across the harbour = pretty
the lookout at the top of mount eden = pretty
vulcan lane in the cbd is kinda pretty
drive out to titirangi and the black beaches = pretty
drive to piha = pretty
having lunch at te whau on waiheke island and looking across to the sky tower in the distance = pretty

having said that, auckland does tend to feel a bit heartless and spread out, i prefer wellington myself....

Jude J Oct 9th 2006 11:25 pm

please dont.

mumomonty Oct 9th 2006 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by Jude J
please dont.

Who are you the Auckland CBD police?
I can come and go as I wish thanks very much.

Jude J Oct 9th 2006 11:32 pm

Thanks everyone for their replies...much appreciated. There's a NZ Expo at Earl's court next weekend, so will check that out too and see what the score is regarding work out there.

I don't think I'd go to Auckland though...too much like London, Wellington would be much more my scene ;)

Am Loolah - good choice on name ;) :)

Having lived in London and Auckland I would have to say that they are not alike at all!
Good luck Dilan, hope you get lots of good info at the expo, let us know how you get on.
JJ

Am Loolah Oct 9th 2006 11:33 pm

We thought Auckland was really nice when we visited and our eldest, aged 14, wants to live there!!

It is a beautiful city - from an outsider/visitor's point of view.

Coming from London, I could live there no probs - but with 4 kids, and 2 dogs, and horse mad kids (Oh and hamster) realistically need to look outisde of the city!

Let's all take a deep breath and go hug a tree!!

mumomonty Oct 9th 2006 11:34 pm

:D Hugged one this morning (a tree).

Jude J Oct 9th 2006 11:36 pm

Of course I'm not and of course you can.
I dont think you will though. It doesn't sound like you like it wherever you are.

Am Loolah Oct 9th 2006 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by Jude J
Of course I'm not and of course you can.
I dont think you will though. It doesn't sound like you like it wherever you are.

On which note I shall say goodnite!!! And exit stage right gracefully, if a little tired and emotional! :zzz:

Jude J Oct 9th 2006 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
We thought Auckland was really nice when we visited and our eldest, aged 14, wants to live there!!

It is a beautiful city - from an outsider/visitor's point of view.

Coming from London, I could live there no probs - but with 4 kids, and 2 dogs, and horse mad kids (Oh and hamster) realistically need to look outisde of the city!

Let's all take a deep breath and go hug a tree!!

:D will do! But I'm not upset or defending the city, I hardly ever go into the city myself although its nice to have there for when I do feel like a bit of city life, which isn't often I must say!
I just think people are in for a shock if they think it's like London, dont you think?