Reload this Page >

Moving to NZ for 12 months - suggestion on where to live please

Moving to NZ for 12 months - suggestion on where to live please

Old Feb 19th 2013, 12:27 pm
Just Joined

mani99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to NZ for 12 months - suggestion on where to live please

Hi all,

My wife and I will be moving to NZ for 12 months in April this year and I wanted to get some advice as to where to live.

My job will be in IT so will most likely get something in Auckland so we will need to find something around there.

I am looking for areas which are about 30/40mins max commute to Auckland and which are located in a nice peaceful surroundings, and we have a budget of around $600 a week.

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks!
Old Feb 19th 2013, 8:40 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Moving to NZ for 12 months - suggestion on where to live please

Hi and welcome to this wee NZ forum.

You'll see I tweaked the title a bit for you to better reflect your query.
It was rather looking like an Immy thread.

cheers
BEVS
Old Feb 20th 2013, 5:06 am
BE Enthusiast

GoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mani99
Hi all,

My wife and I will be moving to NZ for 12 months in April this year and I wanted to get some advice as to where to live.

My job will be in IT so will most likely get something in Auckland so we will need to find something around there.

I am looking for areas which are about 30/40mins max commute to Auckland and which are located in a nice peaceful surroundings, and we have a budget of around $600 a week.

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks!
There's a thread below - where I get munted for professing my dislike of certain areas of West Auckland. In the interests of balance however I direct you to said thread. I personally would not touch Glen Eden, Henderson, New Lynn with a barge pole. However, I would recommend settlements nearer the Waitakere Ranges such as Titirangi, Laingholm, Woodlands Park.

I am currently living on the NS and love the East Coast Bays: Castor, Campbells, Murrays, Rothesay, Mairaingi, Browns, Torbay, Long Bay, etc. This is where I love to live. Some other people seem to be saying that you should not touch the non-bay parts of the NS. I can't speak for that as I have not been to anywhere on the NS other than the bays.

South Auckland - pass, dunno; ditto East or Central.
Old Feb 20th 2013, 6:54 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

I'd be inclined to go for Remuera, Kohimarama, Mt Eden. Nice areas, fairly central. Don't expect anything too fancy, but if it's only for a year you'll probably be off siteseeing each weekend anyway.

Last edited by jmh; Feb 20th 2013 at 6:56 am.
Old Feb 20th 2013, 7:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

There are dozens to choose from and where you live will largely depend upon what you can afford. People always get offended if you dare mention their place unfavourably but lets face it, why would you move half way around the world to live in some scungy down at heel place or among the riff-raff.

I would avoid anything graded 'Bottom' and probably a lot of the 'Lower Middle':

http://www.auckland-suburb-guide.co.nz/
Old Feb 20th 2013, 7:25 am
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
There are dozens to choose from and where you live will largely depend upon what you can afford. People always get offended if you dare mention their place unfavourably but lets face it, why would you move half way around the world to live in some scungy down at heel place or among the riff-raff.

I would avoid anything graded 'Bottom' and probably a lot of the 'Lower Middle':

http://www.auckland-suburb-guide.co.nz/
Man, that list is ooold, BJ...Takapuna middle?????? Freemans Bay Middle????? Wow, I think that page needs a bit of an edit
Old Feb 20th 2013, 7:28 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

I was very surprised to see Redhill labelled 'bottom'

Red Hill is a very diverse area of both rural and urban picturesque living. The top and northern side of the hill is known as a high economic living area, with multi-million dollar estates and views of the greater Auckland metropolitan area and Manukau Heads, the eastern and south-eastern views the rural areas of Franklin District and the Bombay Hills towards Waikato, with the low lying areas closer to Papakura being low economic areas run by the state and Housing New Zealand.
I guess all the people I know live on the north side of the hill.

Source: Wikipedia
Old Feb 20th 2013, 8:46 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the replies so far (and the title edit!).

I will take a look at that list but as somone already mentioned, no point in travelling half way around the world to live in a "dump".

Please feel free to keep more suggestions coming, thanks!
Old Feb 20th 2013, 9:17 am
Forum Regular

Tranmere Rover has a reputation beyond reputeTranmere Rover has a reputation beyond reputeTranmere Rover has a reputation beyond reputeTranmere Rover has a reputation beyond reputeTranmere Rover has a reputation beyond reputeTranmere Rover has a reputation beyond reputeTranmere Rover has a reputation beyond reputeTranmere Rover has a reputation beyond reputeTranmere Rover has a reputation beyond reputeTranmere Rover has a reputation beyond reputeTranmere Rover has a reputation beyond repute

I work in IT in the CBD and we live in Kohimarama. Kohi's a lovely spot, close to the beach, not too busy etc. It's about 9kms from the Sky Tower, so dead easy to get to the CBD for work. Kohi's not cheap, but $600 per week will get you a nice 3 bed.

Mission Bay is next to Kohi, but much busier.
Old Feb 20th 2013, 9:21 am
Just Joined

One other thing I wanted to add was that we would prefer a fully furnished place and when I have looked online there are not that many that come furnished, particularly houses.

And one other thing, Ive read the term 'CBD' in several threads but have no idea what this means :-(
Old Feb 20th 2013, 9:26 am
Forum Regular

Tranmere Rover has a reputation beyond reputeTranmere Rover has a reputation beyond reputeTranmere Rover has a reputation beyond reputeTranmere Rover has a reputation beyond reputeTranmere Rover has a reputation beyond reputeTranmere Rover has a reputation beyond reputeTranmere Rover has a reputation beyond reputeTranmere Rover has a reputation beyond reputeTranmere Rover has a reputation beyond reputeTranmere Rover has a reputation beyond reputeTranmere Rover has a reputation beyond repute

Central Business District

I've obviously been here too long - I didn't know what that meant when I first came either!
Old Feb 20th 2013, 9:32 am
Just Joined

Thanks..
Old Feb 20th 2013, 9:46 am
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute

Fully furnished is very uncommon. I remember being surprised at that. Particularly when looking for a flat share and needing your own bed etc.
Old Feb 20th 2013, 9:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pricklykina
Man, that list is ooold, BJ...Takapuna middle?????? Freemans Bay Middle????? Wow, I think that page needs a bit of an edit

Yeah maybe but who knows where some of the boundaries are, as always in real estate they are very loose. There's lots of scabby bits of the wider 'Takapuna' that ain't all that and it is very mixed actually extending far beyond the multi-million dollar beachfront properties and has lots of shabby old rental accomodation and old people living in little poky old houses.
Old Feb 20th 2013, 9:52 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by pricklykina
Fully furnished is very uncommon. I remember being surprised at that. Particularly when looking for a flat share and needing your own bed etc.
That is a surprise but also means that we will have to buy furniture for a year long move which isnt very ideal

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.