Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Moving to NZ for 12 months - suggestion on where to live please

Moving to NZ for 12 months - suggestion on where to live please

Old Feb 20th 2013, 11:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

GoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to NZ for 12 months - suggestion on where to live please

Originally Posted by mani99
That is a surprise but also means that we will have to buy furniture for a year long move which isnt very ideal
There's always trademe for good deals which includes people moving back to the UK - we bought our fridge that way.
By the way, most rental properties don't even come with white goods, like a fridge...
Old Feb 21st 2013, 12:44 am
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold

I suggest Milford. It's a really quiet, pretty area and very near the bridge. For $600 a week you should get something respectable. As far as the North Shore is concerned, I suggested you stick to the right-hand side of the freeway as traffic is bad and slow on te left-hand side. The bays are also nice, but for travelling, I think Milford. Takapuna is next door, but not as nice as Milford, but good for restaurants, etc.
Old Feb 21st 2013, 2:17 am
BE Enthusiast

julesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by GoingIn2011
There's always trademe for good deals which includes people moving back to the UK - we bought our fridge that way.
By the way, most rental properties don't even come with white goods, like a fridge...
you could also rent from mr rental, they seem to have everything. Never used tho'

http://www.mrrental.co.nz/
Old Feb 21st 2013, 2:55 am
BE Enthusiast

GoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by julesnye
you could also rent from mr rental, they seem to have everything. Never used tho'

http://www.mrrental.co.nz/
And ezrentals on the ns. Not sure of the spelling but run by a lovely couple.
We got a washing machine off them for 50 bucks a month when we first got here.
Old Feb 21st 2013, 3:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by whitesand
I suggest Milford. It's a really quiet, pretty area and very near the bridge. For $600 a week you should get something respectable. As far as the North Shore is concerned, I suggested you stick to the right-hand side of the freeway as traffic is bad and slow on te left-hand side. The bays are also nice, but for travelling, I think Milford. Takapuna is next door, but not as nice as Milford, but good for restaurants, etc.
I'd agree with that recommendation save for the misconception (not yours necessarily) that the northern bays on the NS aren't commutable. I would say they most definitely are commutable. Two examples:
- Sometimes I come from Torbay, and that takes roughly 30-35 minutes to get to the CBD on some bus services, i.e. the ones that run when most people go to work!
- Sometimes I come from Orewa, as my kids schools are up that way, and I leave my kiddy's preschool there at 8.45am and I'm in the CBD at 9.15am. Yes it's congested on the #1 at parts but it keeps moving all the way. It tends to get backed up a little at Oteha Valley Road (Torbay) where the three lanes go back to two and also a bit further down where you have cars joining the motorway where it is still 2 lanes. It slows to like 10-20 kph for a few mins and then you're back to 80 for the rest of the ride. In my recollection, it can take just as long to get from the suburbs further down as the queues to get on the motorway are far worse - it being light operated that far down.

By living further out you get a lot more for your 600 bucks! And well petrol isn't that much more...

Last edited by GoingIn2011; Feb 21st 2013 at 3:03 am.
Old Feb 21st 2013, 8:22 am
Just Joined

mani99 is an unknown quantity at this point

Excellent information, thank you so far everyone.
Old Feb 26th 2013, 4:42 am
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by mani99
Hi all,

My wife and I will be moving to NZ for 12 months in April this year and I wanted to get some advice as to where to live.

My job will be in IT so will most likely get something in Auckland so we will need to find something around there.

I am looking for areas which are about 30/40mins max commute to Auckland and which are located in a nice peaceful surroundings, and we have a budget of around $600 a week.

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks!
Some inner city apartments are furnished, but often without a car [park and tends to be expensive.

Areas to look for renting; Grey Lynn, Ponsonby, Mt Eden, Parnell, Newmarket..

Download the route of the "Link Bus" and look for somewhere on/ inside that loop