Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Moving to North Shore area April 2019, very daunting.

Moving to North Shore area April 2019, very daunting.

Old Mar 20th 2019, 9:19 am
Just Joined

ellers1969 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Moving to North Shore area April 2019, very daunting.

Hi

I have a job offer as a nurse working in the community covering the Upper North Shore and Lower Rodney area starting the end of April 2019. Our eldest daughter and I will be moving in April and my husband and our youngest daughter will be following at the end of June after her A Levels finish. I am lucky that my stepdaughter and her husband live in the North Shore area so we will stay with them until our furniture and belongings arrive when we will rent a property (by then I will know better what area I will be covering mostly so will have a better idea of the best area to live).

Due to our daughters ages 21 and 18 they are to be completely reliant on us for visa reasons, this is frustrating the eldest as she has been in employment since she left school and has even been working in NZ on a working visa for a year (just returned in February). As the eldest has spent a year in Auckland she has already got a very good circle of friends who are desperate for her to return however the youngest will only know her sisters. We are concerned she will find it difficult to meet people her own age as previously mentioned she will not be able to work and unfortunately as much as we would love to be able to afford to send her to university (she wants train as a primary school teacher) at international student fees she will not be able to apply until we are financially settled or residents. We have discussed voluntary work which she is happy to do and maybe joining a drama group, do any of you lovely people have any ideas to help or have been in the same situation?

After reading a thread on this site I am becoming a bit more concerned about finances. We have looked into the cost of living in Auckland and know it does not come cheap. I have only been a qualified nurse for 2 1/2 years so the wage I have been offered is good in UK terms and reasonable for Auckland terms; husband has a (UK) tax free military pension which will top the monthly income up and we will have about £200,000 from the sale of our house to bring over with us but like most people do not want to use that as we will need it for a deposit on a house when we become residents. My husband is presently an IT manager in a senior school and has over 20 year experience in IT for both the military and civilian life but due to his work place he no longer has updated qualifications; in actual fact he does not even know if he wants to continue working in IT (enjoyment ground out of him due to the work environment) and is prepared to take any job offered so any leads accepted thank you.

We are looking forward to the move now we can see the light at the end of the tunnel increasing and our stress levels decreasing slightly (house has sold after the chain breaking down twice previously and the sale should be completed at end of March). Any advice or suggestions on anything is very appreciated and thank you for reading all this thread.

Old Mar 20th 2019, 8:53 pm

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to North Shore area April 2019, very daunting.

Hiya and welcome. Some quick thoughts (short coffee break post)

When we arrived in Auckland right at the beginning I introduced myself to a few recruitment agencies. I worked in IT in the UK, could not bear the thought of doing it again and told them. A couple were very good identifying skills that could be used in different industries and through one of them I made a sideways step away from IT. Since then I have done all sorts of jobs and am now self employed and loving it. Tell hubby its a open slate and if he wants to do something completely different, go for it. I love working outside and the people you meet in these roles are often amazing, a long way from corporate BS.

We moved out of Auckland a week after we got residency. It was too expensive and we spent half our time in traffic.

We moved to Marlborough, where we earned more money and settled

£200,000 will allow you to live mortgage free in Marlborough or many other regions

I would think twice about buying a house in Auckland, house prices are on the way down.

Good luck
Old Mar 20th 2019, 9:15 pm
Just Joined

ellers1969 is an unknown quantity at this point

Catchafire thank you for your response and it sounds like you have done exactly what my husband wants to do. We are looking at moving out of Auckland once we have our residency, however best made plans and all that.
Old Mar 21st 2019, 4:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Rodney is a nice area to live. We spent some time at whangaparoa and thought it was much nicer than other areas (Devonport) we lived in during our time in Auckland. It can be very expensive to buy but as has been mentioned, prices are stabilizing. We have just seen a lovely house that is currently for sale which is only 50k more expensive than it was when we considered buying it 6 years ago.
you may want to rent for a while until you are sure Auckland is where you want to be. The provinces are becoming much more popular and at the moment your pound/dollar will buy you much more and while 200 grand may allow you to live mortgage free in some areas, I'm not sure I'd want to live in the house it would buy.