Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Moving to New Zealand in November

Moving to New Zealand in November

Old Sep 19th 2011, 9:35 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to New Zealand in November

Sounds like NZ is better than Darlington, Middleborough and Newcastle for some. Ive not been to those place so I wont comment
Funny, I don't remember ever saying that I came to NZ because it was 'better' than my home town.
Not everyone comes to NZ because they no longer desire to live in the UK, I certainly didn't so please don't put words into my mouth.

It does seem to bring out your bitterness when people say they are happy here doesn't it. NZ works for some and it doesn't for others, same as for any other country in the World
Old Sep 19th 2011, 9:58 am
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute

I am happy here but I have been here so long now that it's hard to know whether I am happy in NZ or just happy!
Mind - I'm pretty easy going and can usually see the good in most things.

It did take me a looooooooong time to settle. A good 3 years I'd say. I hated having no friends and it's only the last few years that I've finally felt like I have enough people that would warrant a birthday party.

I know a lot of people that are happy here from lots of different places. My observation is that there are more unhappy Brits on the North Shore of Auckland than anywhere else in Auckland but that is most likely down to sheer numbers rather than anything else (saying that the shore scares me and makes me unhappy so heaven knows what would happen if I lived there LOL)

Anyway, what I'm getting to is not to worry.
When I came here there was no forums to look at on the net and so I just packed my bag and came with my Lonely Planet. Sometimes there is just too much information.
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 8:39 pm
Just Joined

pedro8000 has a brilliant futurepedro8000 has a brilliant futurepedro8000 has a brilliant futurepedro8000 has a brilliant futurepedro8000 has a brilliant futurepedro8000 has a brilliant futurepedro8000 has a brilliant futurepedro8000 has a brilliant future

Again thanks for the fantastic posts, it looks like a lot of time and effort has went in so thankyou. Im moving to Wellington in initially, late november and take it from there really. Sorry for not replying to personal messages but it says i cant see them until ive had 3 posts or something.

Its lovely to hear that folk from around my area up in the north east that have settled well and offer their support. Thankyou very much. My hopes for NZ are a less materialistic culture, more sunshine, more life outdoors and more adventure which you guys have vouched for above.

Im looking forward to it but am very nervous leaving my various comfort zones here in Newcastle.
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 9:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

AndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by pedro8000
My hopes for NZ are a less materialistic culture, more sunshine, more life outdoors and more adventure which you guys have vouched for above.
Dig dig, perfect fit then. Come on down, you'll love it!
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 8:43 pm
nik
Forum Regular

nik is just really nicenik is just really nicenik is just really nicenik is just really nicenik is just really nicenik is just really nicenik is just really nicenik is just really nicenik is just really nice

Hi
I don't post or come on here very often anymore but just wanted to say we arrived here in April and love it. There are good and bad things everywhere and with the recession it has been harder to find work for my hubby, but we are happier than we have been for years. Come with an open mind. Good luck
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 9:50 pm
Forum Regular

mcgarnagle will become famous soon enoughmcgarnagle will become famous soon enough

OP - I moved to NZ in February 2010, on holiday initially but I loved it so much, I never left.

I'm a resident here now and honestly can't see myself living anywhere else. Life here is what you make it. Great food, great beer, great weather, great people, great scenery & outdoors.

When the sun is shining in Auckland, I can honestly say there is nowhere I'd rather be!!

Sure it has its downsides, but name me one place that doesn't.

When I first came to this forum, I made a few golf & drinking buddies.

I rarely post on this forum now though as it's basically become a sounding board for whingers.
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 10:22 pm
Forum Regular

charlcote is just really nicecharlcote is just really nicecharlcote is just really nicecharlcote is just really nicecharlcote is just really nicecharlcote is just really nicecharlcote is just really nicecharlcote is just really nice

Originally Posted by mcgarnagle
OP - I moved to NZ in February 2010, on holiday initially but I loved it so much, I never left.

I'm a resident here now and honestly can't see myself living anywhere else. Life here is what you make it. Great food, great beer, great weather, great people, great scenery & outdoors.

When the sun is shining in Auckland, I can honestly say there is nowhere I'd rather be!!

Sure it has its downsides, but name me one place that doesn't.

I rarely post on this forum now though as it's basically become a sounding board for whingers.
"It's basically become a sounding board for whingers".

I believe one of the most vauable aspects of the site is to give people a platform from which to tell their stories of pain/distress/discomfort, and hear stories from others in turn that may help. It is a great service, not available from anywhere else that I can think off!

The site is chock-a-block with other stories - economics, food, useful advice - and these are all also useful, but in very different ways from the above. And to meet buddies for golf - priceless.
Old Sep 24th 2011, 12:27 am
Forum Regular

mcgarnagle will become famous soon enoughmcgarnagle will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by charlcote

I believe one of the most vauable aspects of the site is to give people a platform from which to tell their stories of pain/distress/discomfort, and hear stories from others in turn that may help. It is a great service, not available from anywhere else that I can think off!

The site is chock-a-block with other stories - economics, food, useful advice - and these are all also useful, but in very different ways from the above. And to meet buddies for golf - priceless.
Yeah, getting out and enjoying myself luv.

You should try it
Old Sep 24th 2011, 1:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by charlcote

Totally agree. This site would be utter shite if it were frequented by only happy clappers (ditto doom mongers like me). For those thinking of coming here people who have real life views and opinions are invaluable to those yet to arrive. Folk need to be aware of the good, the not so good and the crap. One needs balance.

Last edited by Genesis; Sep 24th 2011 at 1:35 am.
Old Sep 24th 2011, 1:44 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

This made me really giggle coz it's just too silly. You are here, on the forum ,on a warm Spring weekend afternoon whinging about those that you see as whingers & then basically telling someone else to get out more, simply because they don't agree with you. Yet here you are.

This place is an info highway. A place to share. No more and no less. OP asked for reassurance and has found it. If the OP asks for the downsides that people here have experienced then the OP will also be able to read that too. That's called balance.

You can't please all of the people all of the time. If the place ain't for you, that's fine but there is no need to make disparaging comments to others.
Old Sep 24th 2011, 2:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
This made me really giggle coz it's just too silly. You are here, on the forum ,on a warm Spring weekend afternoon whinging about those that you see as whingers & then basically telling someone else to get out more, simply because they don't agree with you. Yet here you are.

This place is an info highway. A place to share. No more and no less. OP asked for reassurance and has found it. If the OP asks for the downsides that people here have experienced then the OP will also be able to read that too. That's called balance.

You can't please all of the people all of the time. If the place ain't for you, that's fine but there is no need to make disparaging comments to others.
Karma en route!!!
Old Sep 24th 2011, 3:15 am
Forum Regular

charlcote is just really nicecharlcote is just really nicecharlcote is just really nicecharlcote is just really nicecharlcote is just really nicecharlcote is just really nicecharlcote is just really nicecharlcote is just really nice

You should try it
Hmm, yes I do...and interesting that I should be out on the golf course myself a12.27 today, while you were on this site...
Old Sep 24th 2011, 6:36 pm
Forum Regular

HelsnLee has a brilliant futureHelsnLee has a brilliant futureHelsnLee has a brilliant futureHelsnLee has a brilliant futureHelsnLee has a brilliant futureHelsnLee has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by BEVS

Old Sep 24th 2011, 9:09 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

If you don't like whinging poms come on over. The kiwis don't like them either.
Old Sep 25th 2011, 7:01 am
Forum Regular

old dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud of

You should try it
That was a bit harsh - personally, I love the doom gloom threads - makes me realise I'm not completely mental if I throw my teddy out of the pram once in a while I can cope with most things, and I'm taking my cup of concrete on a daily basis as advised by my kiwi mates, but I'm obviously a delicate flower when it comes to central heating and the price of haloumi.

Seriously though, we started reading this forum a couple of years before we made the move and the 'negative' threads about cost of living, housing and education gave us cause to do further research. As a direct consequence of a post on here, we made a specific choice about schooling which has in turn been the best decision we've EVER made (we think) in terms of education for our children. I can't even begin to tell you how much the kids are thriving - all based on a whinging pom post I read back in 2006 ish about the schools.

Those 'whingers' posted info and experiences which saved us some money and heart ache, and our first couple of years would have been a lot more painful without them.

I'd like to send out a massive thank you to all of them

Glad you're enjoying life in general, it's good to read about someone hitting the ground running and loving it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.