Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Moving to New Zealand in November

Moving to New Zealand in November

Old Sep 17th 2011, 9:49 pm
Just Joined

pedro8000 has a brilliant futurepedro8000 has a brilliant futurepedro8000 has a brilliant futurepedro8000 has a brilliant futurepedro8000 has a brilliant futurepedro8000 has a brilliant futurepedro8000 has a brilliant futurepedro8000 has a brilliant future
Default Moving to New Zealand in November

Hi all, im moving to New Zealand in November from Newcastle up in North east england. Im was excited until i started reading various blogs and websites about life in NZ. I dont think ive read one positive post about life in NZ. All i seem to read is how expensive it is, how mundane it is, how unfriendly it is. If it was just one or two posts i wouldnt be so concerned but it seems to be most posts. Somebody please come on and give me positives, surely it cant be as bad as what most people are writing ?!
Old Sep 17th 2011, 10:08 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to New Zealand in November

Yeah this forum has become really negative lately. A couple of people I have communicated with privately have stopped coming here for that reason. There are plenty of Brits who come to NZ, get on with life and don't feel the need to go on about it. You might find you are one of these. In previous years, even if people didn't like it they at least had financial advantages. Those have gone now, so the unhappiness bites harder when it surfaces. Since you have made your plans, come with an open mind. If you don't like it make other plans and move on if you can. At least you will have had an adventure and given it a go.

Where are you moving too?

Last edited by jmh; Sep 17th 2011 at 11:30 pm.
Old Sep 17th 2011, 11:13 pm
Just Joined

suel9 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Pedro,
We arrived in August. We are late 40's and my husband had secured a job at the hospital here in Hawkes Bay. We are from Middlesbrough!
My husband could have got a job in Auckland or Wellington but when we checked out the weather and the way of life we decided Hawkes Bay was where we wanted to be. We got full residency straight off as we had decided we were going to make a go of it!
So far we love it here. I have managed to get a job also at the hosp doing a completely different job than in the UK - I was a Civil Servant there. I have even managed to get a higher salary so done really well there.
We have found a lovely house to rent in Havelock North and the couple who own it are English and the woman has taken a full day out to show me all around - where best to shop, the best restaurants, take-away etc. She couldn't be more friendly. The guy has given me a key to the house and we haven't even signed contracts or paid any bond or rent yet. We are waiting for our container and then will sort that out with them then. They have been so helpfull.
We went round to someone's house last week we made contact with on this site and are meeting 3 couples tonight in the pub we have also met on this site.
We have bought 2 cars, some outside furniture and most importantly a BBQ. The sales here are brilliant they literally have 60% off and it really is 60% off!!
We have spent every weekend driving around seeing what is on offer and can't wait for our container to arrive so we can start cycling, playing Tennis and Golf. The weather is better than the weather in the UK over the summer and it is only spring!
The people are so friendly - everyone wants to talk to you and find out where you are from and seem genuinely happy if you are here on full residency.
Don't be put off by what some are saying. There are some good and bad everywhere. We are glad we are not in Auckland as the traffic there seems to be an issue and we don't really want to be in a city - but you need to find the best area for you.
Happy to give any further views/advice!
Sue & Andy
Old Sep 17th 2011, 11:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Pedro,

Moving overseas is a huge change for anyone, there are multiple potential problems which are listed frequently on this, & other, similar, boards. All the homesickness, cultural changes, not having roots, friends etc etc. And then you add in the cost of living, the rubbish exchange rate & the dubious driving and you can see why, for some people, it's a rocky road. And why they want to warn others, so that they are better prepared & don't make the same mistakes. Or why they want to vent because NZ is not measuring up to their expectations. It's human nature, it's understandable and I think it's very much the right thing to warn potential immigrants so that they are coming here with their eyes wide open & not expecting England with more space, less population and better weather. It's just not like that.

However, having said that, I absolutely love my life here, and can't envisage living back in the UK again permanently. Never say never & all that of course, I have no idea what the future holds, but I have a good life here. There are trade offs of course, in the UK we earned more, and, I at any rate, worked less, but we spent more & also our children were younger & childcare etc were a real concern. Now, 3 years on my children are young adults & independent, which has freed me up to work full time. So our income then & now is pretty comparable. But we spend less. Going out is more likely to be walking or cycling with friends, or pot luck suppers/ BBQs rather than restaurant meals out. We're far more likely to get together & hire a DVD, buy a pizza & bottle of wine than pay for cinema tickets. We grow our own veg & pretty much everything is cooked from scratch...no M&S ready meals here! It's horses for courses & there are lifestyle changes & compromises & I would never, ever disrespect or disagree with someone else's experience...they're all valid. But it's a good life. I have a house in Rotorua that I could only dream of in SE London, I have (2) great jobs & some amazing friends. The beach is an hour away, NI ski fields less than 2hrs away. My teenagers both drive & I can actually afford to insure them!

I can dwell on some negatives...life ain't perfect, but then it never was in the UK, it's just that, in those days, I didn't have anything to compare my life with, & there were no rose-tinted glasses & nostalgia to fall back on. But, even acknowledging the negatives, for me, for now, the positives far, far, outweigh the negatives. I don't often visit here any longer because I've been through the experience & all the difficult adjustment period, & now I'm a bit wrapped up in getting on and enjoying my life. I suppose I've moved on a bit from needing the support & friendship of an internet community, & I appreciate that probably sounds a bit ungrateful, it's just that real life is generally more interesting.

But, my overwhelming message for you is that it's an immensely challenging process you're about to go through, & there are certainly some tough experiences ahead, but it does work for so many people who move here, settle and lead amazing, happy lives in NZ. And who don't spend time posting about how wonderful life is on message boards
Old Sep 18th 2011, 12:02 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Another North Easterner here, from Darlington. We're out in force today
There have been a lot more negative threads on here recently but try not to let it get you down, it goes in cycles - negativity breeds negativity. You need to read them, take the messages on board and use them to your advantage. For instance the cost of living threads do serve a use in that those planning on coming here need to realise that it may not be as easy as they think. If it makes people think a bit more about how much they will need and what their aspirations are when they move here then that can only be a good thing.
If you've been here on holiday then the costs seem liveable as you're earning £ but things change dramatically when earning $, add in the costs of immigrating and maybe one partner not finding a job and your quality of life can change very quickly. Also negative posts may dispel the 'Britain in the 50s' myth. There are downsides to living here and before I moved over I read negative threads as much if not more than the positive ones. I wanted to know what was wrong with the place and other people's bad experiences to gain a more realistic impression of where I was moving to.

I am happy here, life isn't perfect but then where in the world would it be? I have been through more earthquakes than I ever thought possible and seen the destruction of the city I had come to call home but I am still planning on staying. I have work even though my job security isn't great. I earn enough to do the things I want to do. I'm sitting in my house which I love, the sun is shining, there have been no big aftershocks for a week and I am just not feeling very negative today!

I will add: I meet lots of British people at work and generally they are very happy with their lives. Yes, we'll have the odd whinge about the driving, the distance from friends and family etc but most people seem very contented. They just don't feel the need to scream it from the rooftops!

Last edited by Persephone; Sep 18th 2011 at 12:08 am. Reason: Added a bit
Old Sep 18th 2011, 1:06 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Afternoon
it's perfectly normal to get rather jittery as the move approaches irrespective of your circumstances.
Moving to the other side of the world is a great big change. The change isn't fully apparent when you arrive and the resulting "culture shock" works through the system over time, not always in the same way. There are threads here about culture shock - check them out.
As you say the forum's slant on "life in NZ" varies with time, with posters who are active and are going through all of those upheaveals and changes that we all experienced. Yes as others have said, many of those who get settled and are happy stop posting so looking at the number of posts on the positive or negative side needs a pinch of salt.
Being in NZ has given us more freedom, to spend time with the kids, to start new ventures, to live in a place (next to the beach) we could never afford in the UK, to try new things (pineapple lumps), to get back into sport, to build new friendships.
We have made a new life although some of the old remains and that's the rub - we've had to give up a lot of our support network, some of our culture, plenty of our financial security and some opportunities.
It might seem from some of my posts that I think we are worse off here. Perhaps that's my critical/negative attitude coming out but it's not the case. We are better off in our lives and our kids are far more rounded than they would have beeen in the UK. So on balance NZ was a good move.
NZ isn't perfect and I think it's fine to post negative stuff and for us to argue over how valid both negative and positive posts are. Moving here without an idea of what the shortcomings could be is worse than arriving worrying whether you've done the right thing.
Anyway good luck with your move, and don't bring the weather with ya!
Cheers
LL (ex of Ushaw Moor and Sedgefield)
Old Sep 18th 2011, 2:18 am
Forum Regular

Debbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud of

I agree with all that's been posted on this thread. Did you want to come here, find things you didn't like, then exclaim, 'why did nobody tell me ?' Good luck with your plans.
Old Sep 18th 2011, 2:25 pm
Just Joined

pedro8000 has a brilliant futurepedro8000 has a brilliant futurepedro8000 has a brilliant futurepedro8000 has a brilliant futurepedro8000 has a brilliant futurepedro8000 has a brilliant futurepedro8000 has a brilliant futurepedro8000 has a brilliant future

Wow, what a fantastic response, thankyou all so much for taking the time and effort to share your experience. Reading through them has certainly made me feel a lot better about the move. Im a realist and am prepared to make sacrifces but it was just all the negative posts about life in NZ was getting a bit worrying. Ive enjoyed reading all the well informed posts above and i suppose it is good to know that it aint all rosy we wont necesarily live happily ever after.

Thanks again for all the responses.
Old Sep 18th 2011, 11:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Pedro,
Another northerner here, I'm from Sunderland, but don't hold that against me. My best friend here in NZ is a toonie!
We've been here over 5 years in Wellingon & we love it here. Life has become a little harder financially lately, but I think it's the same globally. I find people are generally warm & friendly, we have easily made a good circle of friends with locals as well as Brits.
Just remember Pedro, life is what you make it, wherever you are!
Old Sep 18th 2011, 11:18 pm
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boopy
Just remember Pedro, life is what you make it, wherever you are!
You're saying he should stay in Newcastle?
Old Sep 19th 2011, 12:02 am
Just Joined

shelly1971 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by pedro8000
Hi all, im moving to New Zealand in November from Newcastle up in North east england. Im was excited until i started reading various blogs and websites about life in NZ. I dont think ive read one positive post about life in NZ. All i seem to read is how expensive it is, how mundane it is, how unfriendly it is. If it was just one or two posts i wouldnt be so concerned but it seems to be most posts. Somebody please come on and give me positives, surely it cant be as bad as what most people are writing ?!
We came in January this year. And so far we love it. Yes its quieter and you cant shop 24 / 7, and some things are more expensive. But for us, we spend less on crap we dont need, cook more things from scratch (do miss M & S ready meals a bit) and have more quality of life. GO FO IT. we havent looked back.
Old Sep 19th 2011, 12:04 am

waikatoguy is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm not a British expat, so I probably shouldn't even be commenting, but I have been to and lived briefly in other countries, and NZ is where I will see out my days. It's a great place to live. I'll probably be reprimanded for being too happy clappy, but I don't care. I admit my bias.
Old Sep 19th 2011, 3:47 am
BE Enthusiast

AndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to behold

Yeah don't listen to a large number of the posts on here, there is a reason why brits are called whinging poms

We got here December 09 after our move to Oz didn't happen as the visa never arrived. So far we totally love it and are now also expecting our first child due in Feb next year, woohoo! People are defiantly more friendly here, weather is waaaay better than back in the UK too. Work is much better for us and much more laid back, although we have found kiwi's do leave stuff to the last minute but you just gotta learn to role with that. Sure you can't shop 24/7 and online shopping is basically none-existent, but we've found we buy way less crap than we used too, we eat much more healthily as we cook from scratch more and we are both much more active as we have a reason to go out at weekends now, rather than being stuck in the house with nowhere to go.

We haven't made any friends as such (we're both 31), but not that fussed. We started going out with some british couples, but they just whinged all the flippin time about why this is crap, this is better in the uk yada yada, all the reasons we wanted to leave the UK, so we have steered clear of that for now.

We love it though. Only downside is missing my parents, especially with there 1st grankid on the way, but thats life eh

Don't worry about it, once your here you will love it!

Oh, and where are you looking at moving to in NZ?
Old Sep 19th 2011, 6:32 am
Forum Regular

JenR is an unknown quantity at this point

Yep I agree, as long as you're prepared for some stuff to be different to how you imagined, bits to be worse than the UK as well as other stuff to be better then you'll be fine! I've met soooo many people (e.g. patients through my job) who've moved here from the UK, been here for yrs and are perfectly happy - I guess when you're in that position you don't google to find a message board - I only looked for this site when i was finding it hard to meet people in Hawke's Bay and wondered if there was anyone else in the same position.

Good luck with your move, do you know where you'll be ending up?
Old Sep 19th 2011, 7:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like NZ is better than Darlington, Middleborough and Newcastle for some. Ive not been to those place so I wont comment

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.