Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Moving to New Zealand (Job opportunities)

Moving to New Zealand (Job opportunities)

Old Apr 24th 2020, 7:03 am
Just Joined

Nebson is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to New Zealand (Job opportunities)

Originally Posted by Genesis
Hi Ben,

I have had three part time jobs here in NZ. I will be honest, no point in being anything otherwise. In all three sectors, local council, private and the local health board bullying was alive and thriving. It has been so unpleasant I have decided that I will not work again. Fortunately I no longer need to. And at almost 62 I am kind of over working!!

Many others have commented on the issue of bullying. This subject has been all over our papers. Even our parliament building, The Beehive, had a recent expose on bullying. I have no idea why that may be.

I agree with what another poster said about emigration at such a time of huge global and local flux. But I guess if your heart is set on it and you want to come ASAP you may as well find a route to get you here.

I have been here 15 years. I arrived this week 15 years ago. Would I recommend NZ? It very much depends on your psyche. Many have said that being so far from Europe and the expense to return are big negatives.

The latter is only gonna get worse. Air travel, when it starts again is only going to be more expensive.

NZ has a plethora of huge issues, lots of those post CV19 are only going to get worse. But NZ has many positives. Around CV19 and post CV19 I have to say there is no other country on earth that I would rather live in at present.

The best thing about NZ is that it is both an unpopulous and incredibly beautiful country.
Hi Dom,

Sad to hear your experiences of bullying. Unfortunately, I have seen bullying first had throughout my career and I suspect this wont change no matter where I go in the world. I must admit the cheap trips around Europe will be missed but its a small sacrifice to pay plus with such a beautiful country to explore, I will be very happy to travel around NZ and see whats else it has to offer (Have travelled to NZ previously but never been to the South Island).

Me and the misses are weighing up all options including delaying our travel date (We have until Jan 2021 to enter NZ with our visa and I gather could extend due to this global crisis). We definitely understand the risks involved in leaving a secure job/home to find a new life, as this has been in the planning for over 2 years but just trying to look at options, get idea's and contacts ahead of our arrival so best plans can be put in place to try an minimise any disruption.
Old Apr 24th 2020, 7:15 am
Just Joined

Nebson is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Right now, we don't know what next week is going to look like, far less a few more months down the track. It really is impossible for anyone to to judge how things will pan out over the coming months. If you have nothing to lose and can (a) secure a job in any kind of essential services from overseas and (b) negotiate the logistics with regards to minimal flights and continuing high level border control and enforced isolation requirements, which are going to be with us for the next 12 months or more, then go for it but I wouldn't advise anyone at this time to give up on any kind of security in the hope that things might be better here.
Hi Bo-Jangles,

Fortunately for us, we started planning to move to NZ 2 years ago so fully aware of potential risks involved especially within the worlds current predicament. Not saying we will move to NZ tomorrow regardless of whats happening and quite happy to delay should that be the case. Just simply trying to build contacts and job ideas when we do decided to move.
Old Apr 24th 2020, 12:17 pm
Forum Regular

jarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nebson
How does your misses find corrections? We are 5 plus months away from moving, dont own property in the UK, have good saving for a deposit when we decided to buy and moving in with the inlaws until we find our feet. We know its not ideal situation with COVID-19 but we feel we are in a ok position.
Yeah she enjoys the job.
I think its a plus starting a new career when you immigrate as you haven't got anything to compare it to, as its all new.
Like I says I don't know what your financial situation is. But if you have both got good solid jobs in the UK and have a good lifestyle. I would be extremely carefull immigrating at the minute.
It depends what you have in your head too. if your planning on coming to NZ forever or to see what it's like and give it a try. If it's for a trial or give it a go for a bit. I would wait till all this virus stuff is done and dusted or you may end up in a world of shizer.