Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Moving to new zealand with children

Moving to new zealand with children

Old Oct 26th 2013, 2:19 pm
Forum Regular

sghall is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to new zealand with children

Myself and my husband are considering emigrating from Scotland to new Zealand, we are thinking of heading towards the north shore however this has not been decided yet!! I am a nurse working in a and e and would want to continue doing similar work and my husband is a diesel mechanic. I am concerned regarding cost of living on the north shore and with two young children aged 4 and 7 months we would need childcare too and our oldest is due to start school next year.
Does anyone have any advice for us in particular other parents with young children on the north shore or recommend any other areas that might be worth looking in to?
Hope someone can help us!
Old Oct 26th 2013, 8:16 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to new zealand with children

first of all you need to see if you can get a visa to allow you to move and then you need to to look at costs etc.
Most nursing roles have been removed from the Skills list so you would have to check and I do know that you have to have a minimum work history of 2 yrs. Mechanic not to sure about, as I said you would need to check out Immigration website.

Your 4 yr old can start school on their 5th birthday as for early years care there does seem to be quite a few places around. sorry not sure about the area you are looking but if you do an internet search there are options to research.
Old Oct 27th 2013, 1:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Before you go any further I would suggest you do some serious research into the cost of housing.
Auckland housing is extremely expensive unless you choose to live in a crappy subburb, and there are plenty of them around.
Personally I would look elsewhere. with the jobs you have there will be work for you in most of the citys or big towns.
and you would probably enjoy a higher standard of living. Auckland isn't a great place to live despite all the hype.
Old Oct 27th 2013, 8:11 am

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sghall View Post
Myself and my husband are considering emigrating from Scotland to new Zealand, we are thinking of heading towards the north shore however this has not been decided yet!! I am a nurse working in a and e and would want to continue doing similar work and my husband is a diesel mechanic. I am concerned regarding cost of living on the north shore and with two young children aged 4 and 7 months we would need childcare too and our oldest is due to start school next year.
Does anyone have any advice for us in particular other parents with young children on the north shore or recommend any other areas that might be worth looking in to?
Hope someone can help us!
We live in the South Island, after starting for two years in Auckland. I would echo the sentiments regarding the cost of living in Auckland

Have a look at

http://www.trademe.co.nz/property/re...-rent/auckland

You will probably have to factor in the cost of running two cars as well.
Old Oct 29th 2013, 9:38 am
BE Enthusiast

bearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond repute

Auckland is a great place to live, if you can afford it. The North Shore offers a very nice life for young families. Our kids don't know they're born - the freedom to just 'be a kid' here - to have a (relatively) carefree childhood is something it's hard to put a price on.
Our children do activities such as Surf Lifesaving and Scouts here - that cost a few dollars a week, but are amazing opportunities. SLS is like athletics at the beach - they get to charge about in the fresh air for 3hrs a week, learning ocean swimming, kayaks, and so on. And the scouts are amazing - hikes in the bush and hills, camps for days, and learning to sail all summer. The youngest walks to and from Primary school barefoot for 8months a year. The elder one goes to the most amazing school I've ever seen - takes his own computer in and has the choice of about 50 sports, clubs etc to do (he's learning a musical instrument as well).
We have beaches all over - some nice cycle tracks, bush walks, and of course Auckland (the city) on our doorstep - we just went to 'Armaggedon' - a ComicCon type festival that cost us $20 for a whole days fun and frolics. We also frequent Farmers Markets, car boot sales, fish and chips overlooking the sea...
I do like it here, I know.
Old Oct 29th 2013, 6:30 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for all the replies, bareskin do u think we could afford it? I would be lookin at a nurses salary of $64000 and my husband approx $20-25 per hour as a diesel mechanic so we hav been told!!
Old Oct 29th 2013, 7:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

bearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there. I can't say whether one family can 'afford it' any more or less than another - people have such different lifestyles. I would say that if you bring in around $100K as a combined family salary then you should be OK if you also have something to use as a deposit to buy a house? Anything under that could be a struggle - if you want to live in one of the more expensive North Shore suburbs for example.
I do know of people living on less than that but they cannot afford anything in the way of luxuries - meals out, overseas travel for example. Cars can be expensive here too - 2 to 3 times the price in the UK, so that can be a factor. Publictransport is improving here, and I see a few more bikes and motorbikes around now too. Kiwis are absolutely devoted to cars - they will think it odd if everyone doesn't have one - and a reasonable one at that. They will happily get into debt to have a good car, and will use it at every opportunity - even to go to the corner shop..
Old Oct 29th 2013, 8:22 pm
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute

I do agree with the above. Our annual income is around $50k. We live in Auckland. We do survive but there are no meals out or treats. We take our daughter swimming once every two weeks. She goes to the beach loads though and we always make sure she comes first. I think it all depends on how you like to live. I would say we are surviving and I struggle with that.

I'm from the north east and have spent a lot of time walking in Scotland. NZ has a lot of places like Scotland especially the Cairngorms. Oh the days spent up there backpacking! You live in a beautiful place.

Last edited by pippalonghorn; Oct 29th 2013 at 8:25 pm.
Old Oct 29th 2013, 9:48 pm
Forum Regular

Where would u say are the more expensive suburbs in the north shore and where are reasonably affordable for families?

Pippalonghorn is that your salary each of 50k or combined with your partner?
We hav two children and obviously would need to take in to account some childcare costs, are you able to help at all with some information on that?
Old Oct 29th 2013, 10:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Where would u say are the more expensive suburbs in the north shore and where are reasonably affordable for families?
Generally, East is more expensive than West of the Motorway. Also, down the 'East Coast Bays', the nearer the city, the more expensive it is. So, Browns Bay is cheaper than Rothesay Bay for example.
The exception is Albany, which considering it is (mostly) west of SH1, and an inland suburb, is not cheap. Probably because it has mostly newer housing - until a few years ago it was just a separate village with a few lifestyle type properties. it is well and truly swallowed by Auckland now though.
Riverhead, Coatesville and Dairy Flat are populated by people who used to live in the regular North Shore suburbs, but sub-divided their land and built in-fill housing, and moved out to the country on the profits (and complained about how busy the Shore is now - when it was them that made it that way!!)
Greenhithe is another village that has been pretty much joined to Auckland now as well. Some older and very pretty houses, mixed with thousands of new and generally 'executive style' houses. Overall, a place for posh families - Mum will drive a huge 4WD, Dad works in the city.
New builds are going in at the top - Long Bay, but houses are $850K+ and not worth it. Another one to consider might be the other big development at Hobsonville Point, where a whole peninsula is being converted into a new suburb - it looks quite well planned. There are two new schools there, and some more affordable housing. I like it more than Albany or Long Bay. It's not the Shore - more like the beginning of West Auckland, but it's not miles from anywhere either.
The most affordable places on the Shore would be the neighbouring 'burbs of Glenfield, Beach Haven, Birkdale and Hillcrest. Once you get down towards Birkenhead and Northcote prices rise again - closer to the city for commuting..

We hav two children and obviously would need to take in to account some childcare costs, are you able to help at all with some information on that?
If you can get the pre-schoolers into a Kindergarten (State-funded) then you get three hours a day for just a few dollars. Private Childcare are plentiful, but I'm not up to date on prices, sorry. School starts on the child's 5th birthday - not just once a year like in UK.
Old Oct 29th 2013, 11:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

davros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bearskin View Post
oing in at the top - Long Bay, but houses are $850K+ and not worth it. Another one to consider might be the other big development at Hobsonville Point, where a whole peninsula is being converted into a new suburb - it looks quite well planned. .
Ok - I really hope you are sat down for this.
I enquired about the Hobsonville Point development and was directed at this website:
http://www.hobsonvillepointliving.co...perty_listings

The cheapest 2-bed houses there start at $625,000.
http://www.hobsonvillepointliving.co...l%20Homes/163/

They do 2-bed apartments for in the $450,000 region. Again, there is this perception that there is affordable housing in Auckland - but there really isn't.
Old Oct 29th 2013, 11:37 pm
Forum Regular

So maybe we need to look away from the north shore!! Obviously I want to be near to a hospital for workin in so my husband can commute so any thought about the areas around waitakere hospital for living in as these appear cheaper to rent/buy?
Old Oct 29th 2013, 11:40 pm

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

Are you looking to buy or rent?

Here is a job site for health workers which might give you some alternative locations.

http://www.kiwihealthjobs.com/?utm_s...ric_Allied_NZ#

My personal opinion is that life in NZ is much more affordable and stress free outside of Auckland.
Old Oct 29th 2013, 11:47 pm
Forum Regular

We would be looking to rent initially with intention to buy if we settle and decide to stay! We know it wil be more affordable away from Auckland but I would be looking for a hospital with an emergency department and waitakere currently has jobs! We also would only be able to hav one car to start with therefore we would nee to stay close to my work or hubby's work wherever that may be!
Old Oct 30th 2013, 1:17 am
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute

Pippalonghorn is that your salary each of 50k or combined with your partner?
I will help as much as I can. That is our combined salary I'm afraid. I would suggest that if you're children are of school age then you check the decile number of the schools in the area where you want to live. The higher the decile number, the more contributions you make towards the school. They call them voluntary contributions but in some cases it's frowned upon not to pay them. Our school offered to let us pay them monthly but that isn't an option for us unfortunately. School uniforms are also very expensive and then you have to pay stationery costs too. The costing for the lower decile schools are a lot less. The decile rating determines government funding only. The teachers abilities are no less in the lower schools. I did try to get my little one into kindly when we first arrived but the waiting list was too long. She was supposed to start school in September gone but I am home schooling her.

We decided to return to the UK next year so I kept her with me instead of changing her routine yet again. Please do not let my story put you off in any way. It sounds negative but it isn't all that way. You're wages will be a lot better for a start.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.