Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Moving to New Zealand

Moving to New Zealand

Old Jun 20th 2015, 9:05 pm
Forum Regular

Northern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Moving to New Zealand

meanwhile,
With some help for Stacy-

Be aware public transport is pretty poor, you should try and position yourself as close as poss/ on major route (buses). Avoid North Shore i.e. over the harbour bridge.

Don't know your circumstances, budgets etc. So choice can be a flea pit or half decent apartment..
Old Jun 21st 2015, 4:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, this has gone rather off track but I'm thinking there's a vocabulary difference. Travel Lodge and Premier Inn are known as budget hotels in my family. Motels are the next step down.

All the motels we stayed in during our trip over cost less than PI or Travel Lodge and, yep, many were pretty bland, white painted block construction but they were all spotlessly clean. I can only write as I found, no rose tinted spectacles, just my experience.
Old Jun 21st 2015, 10:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by StaceyL85
Hi guys

Myself and my boyfriend are moving to Auckland at the end of the month.

My boyfriend has a job offer and so we are moving to Auckland on June 26th. We are currently looking at places to rent in the city I thought we would post in the forum to seek advise to the good areas and potential areas to avoid to rent?

We are both going to be working downtown so anywhere recommendations in or around the city would be much appreciated ?

Thanks so much.

Stacey

I recommend that you look for an apartment in or around the city to rent for the first year at least. A friend up there and his partner rent near the Sea Life centre and they pay $385p/w. Being in Auckland, you would be looking at anywhere around the $300+ per week depending on whether you want furnished or unfurnished. At least that way, you'll get a better idea of the city. Also, if you do intend to stay in New Zealand and Auckland is your preferred place to be - the current state of the housing market may die down. At the moment, you'll do well to afford a garage in Auckland these days

If you can live without a car then brilliant but if you think about moving elsewhere, then you'll want to get a car. The public transport here is questionable. Auckland is going through a huge revamp at the moment with their rail service, and Wellington is upgrading their network.

Lastly, 1/4 of the whole population of New Zealand live in Auckland.

It's a fabulous city and has some amazing areas. If I had $1,000,000 then i'd jump ship and move up there to Hobsonville or Stanley Bay. If you are a city person, then it'll be great for you. Auckland and Wellington are really the best two cities for a citylife person.
Old Jul 1st 2015, 7:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

davros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond repute

Please do your research, Auckland has reached melting point in terms of property prices. Eye-watering the level that they have now reached and in particular it seems rental prices are getting just as silly as resale prices.
Old Jul 2nd 2015, 11:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

If you are a real city person nowhere in NZ is OK.
Old Jul 3rd 2015, 6:24 am
BE Enthusiast

DC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Assanah
If you are a real city person nowhere in NZ is OK.

Was back for a wedding in the Wairarapa earlier this year and couldn't believe all the grassy hills and bush around the centre of Wellington - basically like being in the countryside. You then take a "motorway" (which includes traffic lights, houses and driveways) for about 20 minutes and really are in the countryside, with a winding two-lane goat track at about 90 degrees incline and nothing except a flimsy chicken wire fence between you and oblivion off the edge (this is State Highway 2 - nominally the second most important road in the whole country). It was like going into the wardrobe and finding yourself in Narnia.