Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Moving to New Zealand

Wikiposts

Moving to New Zealand

Old Feb 22nd 2008, 11:02 pm
Forum Regular

markraynes has a brilliant futuremarkraynes has a brilliant futuremarkraynes has a brilliant futuremarkraynes has a brilliant futuremarkraynes has a brilliant futuremarkraynes has a brilliant futuremarkraynes has a brilliant futuremarkraynes has a brilliant future
Default Moving to New Zealand

Hi there,

Me and my partner and 3 kids have consided and want to move to NZ.
We thought about Aus, Canada and US, but what we have heard that NZ is a fantastic place to go and lifestyle will be greatly improved.

Im a HGV class 1 driver, and have been for 10 years. Im 32
My partner is a Carer, looking after the ederly for 6 years and shes a chef currently for 1 year. Shes 26

We have 3 kids, 1, 2 and 5

Im looking for a job were i come home every night not away from home. We looking both to work.
We like the sound of the North island but are flexible where we go.
Any help will be good. I can get msn if anyone needs to chat bout it.

R plan to move is March 2009

We want to Know the process, the chance of getting permannet residents, and wats life like.
We are a little scared of going coz its a big thing to do. but if we dont do it we will never know.

Also im thinking of opening a kiwi bank account from uk and keep putting money in it so its there when we go over. is this possible and good idea.
thanks alot

<snipped>

Last edited by BEVS; Feb 24th 2008 at 1:24 pm. Reason: personal email details removed. Not a good idea to put this on an open forum
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 11:11 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to New Zealand

Originally Posted by markraynes
Hi there,

Me and my partner and 3 kids have consided and want to move to NZ.
We thought about Aus, Canada and US, but what we have heard that NZ is a fantastic place to go and lifestyle will be greatly improved.

Im a HGV class 1 driver, and have been for 10 years. Im 32
My partner is a Carer, looking after the ederly for 6 years and shes a chef currently for 1 year. Shes 26

We have 3 kids, 1, 2 and 5

Im looking for a job were i come home every night not away from home. We looking both to work.
Any help will be good. I can get msn if anyone needs to chat bout it.

We want to Know the process, the chance of getting permannet residents, and wats life like.
We are a little scared of going coz its a big thing to do. but if we dont do it we will never know.

thanks alot
Hi Mark and welcome,

I'm just off to bed coz it's stupid o'clock here, but Marika38 knows plenty about truck drivers and immigrating on that front. Also Kato33 is just about to get to Rotorua where her Hubster is a trucker and she's in that line of work too.

I'd suggest you wait for them to see your thread.
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 11:13 pm
Forum Regular

markraynes has a brilliant futuremarkraynes has a brilliant futuremarkraynes has a brilliant futuremarkraynes has a brilliant futuremarkraynes has a brilliant futuremarkraynes has a brilliant futuremarkraynes has a brilliant futuremarkraynes has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Hi Mark and welcome,

I'm just off to bed coz it's stupid o'clock here, but Marika38 knows plenty about truck drivers and immigrating on that front. Also Kato33 is just about to get to Rotorua where her Hubster is a trucker and she's in that line of work too.

I'd suggest you wait for them to see your thread.
ok then thanks and good night
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 11:45 pm
Just Joined

BExpat is on a distinguished road

Putting money in a Kiwi bank account might be possible - but then you'd have to pay non-resident tax (which is quite a lot) before you manage to organise everything to get to NZ.
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 11:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BExpat
Putting money in a Kiwi bank account might be possible - but then you'd have to pay non-resident tax (which is quite a lot) before you manage to organise everything to get to NZ.
ok. what if i open a uk currency account in nz dollars. is that possible
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 11:54 pm
Just Joined

BExpat is on a distinguished road

ok. what if i open a uk currency account in nz dollars. is that possible
Wat do you mean by a UK currency account in NZ dollars - so is the account in NZ dollars or not? Either way i think if the account is in NZ it'd be taxed. NZ has really high taxes (not to deter you from coming - it IS a nice country).
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 12:01 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BExpat
Wat do you mean by a UK currency account in NZ dollars - so is the account in NZ dollars or not? Either way i think if the account is in NZ it'd be taxed. NZ has really high taxes (not to deter you from coming - it IS a nice country).
ok i`ll leave that idea for closer to time

thanks
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 7:04 am
Forum Regular

any advice will be grateful recieved
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 7:09 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

You might want to have a read of this thread.
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 7:28 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Me and my partner and 3 kids have considered and want to move to NZ.
OK.
I'm a HGV class 1 driver, and have been for 10 years. I'm 32.
My partner is a Carer, looking after the elderly for 6 years and she's a chef currently for 1 year. Shes 26.
Interesting. Is your partner a qualified chef meaning certificates and all that jazz?
We have 3 kids, 1, 2 and 5.
Young family, huh? I bet they keep you busy.
I'm looking for a job were i come home every night not away from home. We looking both to work.
With both of you working you will need to factor in the cost of childcare while both of you are out making a crust. It will be a significant outlay of money.
Flexibility is always good when making plans.

R plan to move is March 2009
R plan? Residency plan? Recce plan? Removals plan?
We want to Know the process, the chance of getting permanent residents, and what life is like.
First you need to know that getting permanent residency (PR) based on truck driving doesn't look good. Sure, HGV drivers are on the immediate skills shortage list, but it appears that as it stands now the New Zealand Immigration Service isn't going to hand out PR based on that job. That sucks, but you ought to know now.

Ah, the process...first you should take a squiz at this http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Catego...nd_Immigration

Also I'm thinking of opening a kiwi bank account from uk and keep putting money in it so its there when we go over. is this possible and good idea.
What's the rush? Opening an account here is easy-peasy.

Good luck.
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 11:28 pm
Forum Regular

thanks for advice
Old Feb 24th 2008, 12:45 pm
Cornish Lass

Marika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to behold

Hi Mark and family,

you might want to give United Carriers a shout up in Northland, also Hooker Pacific in Napier and ChCh, both accredited companies, if you can get on with them, this would be a very good start.
Will P.m you more details if you like.
Old Feb 24th 2008, 10:15 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Marika 38
Hi Mark and family,

you might want to give United Carriers a shout up in Northland, also Hooker Pacific in Napier and ChCh, both accredited companies, if you can get on with them, this would be a very good start.
Will P.m you more details if you like.
please email or pm me address and emails and etc. and wat the companys do

thannks
Old Feb 26th 2008, 4:01 am
Forum Regular

any more advice will be great