Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Moving to New Zealand in 2 weeks!!!

Moving to New Zealand in 2 weeks!!!

Old Jan 7th 2012, 9:36 pm
Just Joined

lyndsey7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to New Zealand in 2 weeks!!!

Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum, but me and my partner are emmigrating to NZ on a silver fern visa in 2 weeks. We ahve travelled there before but are struggling to find some temporary accomodation in Auckland when we land- we just need somewhere for a couple of weeks until we find our feet (and hopefully work!)

Any advice, help, support would be greatly appreciated- such a big moce is quite daunting!

Thank you in advance,

Lyndsey
Old Jan 7th 2012, 11:47 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to New Zealand in 2 weeks!!!

Hello. We arrived in NZ in Feb last year. On arrival we stayed in self catering accommodation. Here's the link: http://www.holidayhouses.co.nz/

We stayed at 20 Stapleford Crescent, Browns Bay. (Only because my husband's sister lives near Browns Bay, other suburbs are available !) South Auckland, it's been likened to South Central L.A. West Auckland is known as the wild west !
Where we stayed was good and cheap. The South Africans that run it are really friendly and helpful. It's a taxi ride from the Airport, but isn't everything ? The village of Browns Bay is a 30 minute walk from the accommodation, down the road, through the park. There's a supermarket, coffee shops, chemist etc there. It's a further five minute walk to the beach from the village. Speakers Corner pub is at Benidorm Bay, I mean, Browns Bay, recently voted the most English pub in NZ. Been past it, not in it. Well it's a pub isn't it ? Anyway, there's buses to Albany Bus Terminus from the East Coast Bays Road which is 10 minutes walk from Stapleford Crescent. You could walk all the way to the bus terminus, about half an hour walk. Albany is where you catch the bus back into Auckland CBD (about 30 mins ride). Ask for a return to Britomart, this is the central Auckland transport hub. Britomart is also at the bottom of Queen Street which is Aucklands' main street.

Other than that, there's Google. There's also TradeMe. Do you remember the districts of Auckland from when you visited last time ?

Juicy Car Rentals are good and cheap for rented cars in NZ. We drove what they call an 'el cheapo'.

Last edited by Snap Shot; Jan 8th 2012 at 12:15 am.
Old Jan 8th 2012, 1:36 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for this information, all help is needed!
Old Jan 8th 2012, 5:16 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and a big welcome to the New Zealand section of BE from the Consierge in Spain.

You will find excellent information in the BE Wiki, not forgetting the Living and Moving Abroad forum that will help you, another set of great help is the permanent threads at the TOP of each forum, they are very pertinent to that particular forum and makes sensible reading.

BE Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font. Also there are Consierges who can support and guide you.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary
Old Jan 8th 2012, 11:31 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Lyndsey & a big to our NZ forums. Have you looked on Trademe? There are various apartments such as Oaks & Quest that you could try for a few nights & then take it from there. It'll be easier to find somewhere when you get here. We stayed in a hotel for the first few nights & then moved into the Quest apartments for a few more. We then found a rental in Gulf Harbour. This was 5 years ago, so it's a bit hazy now but we arrived Jan 20th 2007, so the same time of year as you.

What sort of work are you looking for?

Good luck with your plans
Old Jan 8th 2012, 11:39 pm
Just Joined

Hi, I think I just replied to another thread of yours! Gulf harbour looks lovely- greast place to do some sailing which I love! Thank you for the info I will have a look, we are trying to keep the budget down as we haven't secured employment yet, I think this will be easier when we arrive. I have worked in developement management and trained in law. I currently work as a contracts officer for Local Government so hope to find something similar. My partner works in the charity sector with young people and young offenders. Hopefully we ill find something soon, but we will keep an open mind on the area of work we go into.

Thank you again,

Lyndsey