Old Jun 11th 2003, 8:36 am
Just Joined

jezzy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to New Zealand

[
Hi, we have ben in Tauranga for one month now and it is Fantastic
Old Jun 11th 2003, 11:59 am
Forum Regular

Pastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of light

Jezzy

To help provide an insight for all those wanting to go, what are the Top 3 positve and negative bits from you first month.

PF
Old Jun 11th 2003, 6:54 pm
New Zealand Bound

rickandkara is an unknown quantity at this point

Helen

We are now considering going to New Plymouth. I know you said you are moving there, have you visited yet and if so what was it like.
How far are you with your application?

Kara
Old Jun 11th 2003, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

tom's mum will become famous soon enoughtom's mum will become famous soon enough

Hi Kara,

we have never been to New Zealand, never mind New Plymouth. However we met the mayor of New Plymouth at the Emigrate 2003 show. he sold the region to us. we also have a friend who is there at the moment visiting so will hopefully be filled in soon on the region.

Helen
Old Jun 11th 2003, 9:54 pm
New Zealand Bound

Originally posted by tom's mum
Hi Kara,

we have never been to New Zealand, never mind New Plymouth. However we met the mayor of New Plymouth at the Emigrate 2003 show. he sold the region to us. we also have a friend who is there at the moment visiting so will hopefully be filled in soon on the region.

Helen
Let me know what your friend says, I've investigated a bit on the internet about New Plymouth and it does sound lovely. We've never been to New Zealand either but are really looking forward to going as long as everything is okay.

I'm sure my husband will easily get a job he's a sheet metal fabricator and welder, not so sure what I will do, I'm a database analyst and most of the businesses I would work for would be based in main cities. I'm sure I would find something though.

It would be good to keep in touch with somebody moving to the same area as ourselves.

Kara
Old Jun 13th 2003, 9:07 pm
Just Joined

Cool pros and cons of NZ life

Now lets see

Positive
1. Nice weather
2.Very friendly people
3.Cheap petrol

Negative
1.Supermarket prices about even with the UK
2.Low wages
3.Very very bad drivers

Hope this helps
Old Jun 13th 2003, 9:10 pm
Just Joined

Your husband will have plenty of work where ever he goes in NZ as sheet metal tends to be everywhere and I have seen jobs advertised this week.
Old Jun 13th 2003, 9:54 pm
New Zealand Bound

We're hoping to get a job offer before we go over to New Zealand, New plymouth seems to have a lot of engineering companies.
Where ever we decide to live before we leave England is will be where we settle. I want to get the children settled in as soon as possible.
Its really difficult to decide where to live. All I know is I want the North Island but no Wellington or Aukland (don't want ciy life again).

Kara
Old Jun 15th 2003, 10:47 pm
Forum Regular

xpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nice
Default Re: pros and cons of NZ life

Jezzy you are so right about the bad drivers - I've never seem such dangerous driving !
They wet themselves if they're stuck behind someone else and think nothing of overtaking on bends - That said - we've been here nearly 2 years now and have not been involved in any accidents or anything... guess luck must be on our side !
Old Jun 16th 2003, 12:48 am
Forum Regular

Akaubear is an unknown quantity at this point

Totally, totally agree!! And the weird thing is, when they do overtake they don't go speeding off or anything. They just end up driving 0.00001kms faster than you are.

And it's not just "Hoons" (how I love that word!) It's just about everyone. They seem totally unaware that they are driving 2 cms from your bumper.

Definitely in my top 3 bad things list!!

Nicola.

Originally posted by xpat19
Jezzy you are so right about the bad drivers - I've never seem such dangerous driving !
They wet themselves if they're stuck behind someone else and think nothing of overtaking on bends - That said - we've been here nearly 2 years now and have not been involved in any accidents or anything... guess luck must be on our side !
Old Jun 21st 2003, 9:17 am
Forum Regular

nell m is an unknown quantity at this point
Default moving to new zealand

Hi

we're also planning to go to Taranaki, but just a bit down the coast from New Plymouth, haven't been there yet, but have been researching on the net for about 18 months, including the property websites, have found a house we love and are about to go out there in 5 weeks to buy (providing we actually like it once we're there!) then we'll rent it out 'til we move, hopefully after christmas next year (gives us a chance to get settled before the new school year starts).

My husband's a welder and I'm a further ed teacher but am doing a secondary PGCE so I can teach in schools, can't put in for PR yet 'til I've got it and my husband hasn't got enough points on quals or experience to apply himself, Estate agent out there says there shouldn't be any problems either of us finding work and should be able to rent the house out, no problem. We've got 2 children 2 & 4, and have been in touch with the local primary school - really nice and helpful!

Will post what i've found out about the area when we get back.

I hope this is of interest!
Old Jun 21st 2003, 9:21 am
BE Enthusiast

jajpe is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Akaubear
Totally, totally agree!! And the weird thing is, when they do overtake they don't go speeding off or anything. They just end up driving 0.00001kms faster than you are.

And it's not just "Hoons" (how I love that word!) It's just about everyone. They seem totally unaware that they are driving 2 cms from your bumper.

Definitely in my top 3 bad things list!!

Nicola.

Nicola,

If you don't mind me asking what are the other two bad things?

Always good to be aware of the pitfalls!
Old Jun 21st 2003, 3:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

BritboyNZ is an unknown quantity at this point

1. Naff TV. All is forgiven, BBC!!

2. Can't get Walkers Crisps for blood nor money here

Old Jun 22nd 2003, 3:24 am
Forum Regular

Akaubear is an unknown quantity at this point

Hmmm.... I would say:

The quality of food here isn't as good as in the UK;

I'm actually struggling for a 3rd! Sure, the TV isn't good, but I find there's usually something reasonably watchable on (mainly US programmes), and if there isn't - I do something else instead (like, ummm, surf the ‘net!)

Ok then… no Aquafresh toothpaste!!

Nicola.

Originally posted by jajpe
Nicola,

If you don't mind me asking what are the other two bad things?

Always good to be aware of the pitfalls!